EV on Pensado's Place
Subscribe
ev33
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Gear maniac

EV on Pensado's Place

Hey All,

I thought I'd mention that I will be on Pensado's Place tomorrow (Thursday August 11th from 12pm - 1pm PST.

They came by a couple days ago and filmed a bunch of stuff at Barefoot that will be in the "Into The Lair" segment. I'm not sure what exactly they will show but, there will probably opportunities to see some of the stuff that has been discussed here (Mic robot, UTA consoles, UnFairchild, drum collection, mics etc etc) and they will probably show the "Drumbrella" which really hasn't been discussed.

EV
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Gear nut

Bam!
Attached Thumbnails
EV on Pensado's Place-img_0453.jpg  
11th August 2011
Old 11th August 2011
Gear maniac

How often do you use the drumbrella and what's the main advantage? I know Dredg had worked with Matt at Barefoot and mentioned lowering it to make a vocal booth as well as guitar cabinet isolation.

www.ThePandaStudios.com
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

Caught you on the show Eric. Good job and thanks for all the great tips.
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Gear addict

Great show man! You're popular this month!

It was a great treat having a little tour of your studio w/ the commentary. It was nice to finally put a face to the name too! Been wondering for years! The robot mic stand is genius - and holy crap... I want a drumbrella too! Totally jealous!

Thanks again for all that you've shared with us! It's been quite the eye opener.
ev33
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamPura View Post
How often do you use the drumbrella and what's the main advantage? I know Dredg had worked with Matt at Barefoot and mentioned lowering it to make a vocal booth as well as guitar cabinet isolation.
I use it about half the time. I love what it can do for snare drum but it can complicate things. Sometimes, when set in a way that makes the snare sound really cool, can make the other drums sound a bit odd. I am still getting to know its idiosyncrasies and am starting to feel more confident about when to use it or not.

It does have some cool uses for creating a tight dry recording environment for acoustic guitar or vocals as well.

EV
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Gear addict

Now I want a drumbrella :(
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

Great show Eric, and thank you for being so generous!
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

So Awesome! I love that console, and the mic robot! drum brella!
Everything!

Also love how you have a prototype for a preamp on the floor!

Thanks for an enjoyable video.
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

Eric, I just wanted to post and say how much I appreciate people like yourself and Mike Dean posting on here and speaking on Pensado's Place. I'm not a fan of the whole mystery side of producing etc and it's nice to hear people not be pretentious about the whole thing.

TEB's debut is one of my favourite albums and just sounds amazing. The mix of guitar tones on there just work so well together. It's weird when you talk about Led Zep as I've never liked them and don't see the big deal but I guess it's an age thing for me and how you refer back to Led Zep albums will probably be how I always think of TEB's debut. My perfect rock album.

Something I thought was funny about your robot mic as well, I use the amp sims in Logic a lot, and while playing through a track, I will move the microphone on the screen for ages trying to find the best place in the mix. I've never been in a real studio and always imagined how tedious it would be to get the mic in the right place when going back to the monitors away from the room the amp is in.
12th August 2011
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

Awesome show and fantastic slutty studio.....very creative and vibey ;-))
Loving the "hands on" "we just built it" approach to recording, drumbrella, mic-robot, console surface etc....now THAT´s thinking out of the box.

Could you share some more details about the drumbrella? awesome idea??
does ist have a hard (wood) backing with absorption facing downwards?

Best, Tom

PS: I laughed so hard when Dave started humming "no one knows" for all the milestone sounds guitars, bass, etc.....I somehow think so ALL the time with rock songs....that one is just TOO good....well done, mate
picksail; 28th August 2008, 08:55 AM

"The best sounding sluttiest gear of all time... is a great song" --Greg Wells

http://www.hi-endgear.com

http://www.audio-import.de
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear addict

WOW! 9 minutes into the video and my day has been made!

I actually have a rather severe physical disability that prevents me from moving mics and such my self, and positioning mics on guitar cabinets has always been an absolute pain for me and my assistants.

The amount that I want a mic robot! Especially for little overdub sessions. Eric is there any chance you have the details on how you built it? It'd be great if I could get something like that put together for myself.

www.MidasTouchStudios.com.au

My little recording studio in Perth, Western Australia.
Check out the link to hear some of my work!
ev33
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTStudios View Post
WOW! 9 minutes into the video and my day has been made!

I actually have a rather severe physical disability that prevents me from moving mics and such my self, and positioning mics on guitar cabinets has always been an absolute pain for me and my assistants.

The amount that I want a mic robot! Especially for little overdub sessions. Eric is there any chance you have the details on how you built it? It'd be great if I could get something like that put together for myself.
The one I built was kind of expensive and I was sort of figuring it out as I went. I'll have to check and see if I have any of the documentation around any more. There was this other thread a while ago:

Robotic Mic Stand

There is a company that is saying they are going to market with a very cool version of it. I tried the link and it was dead so I don't know if they gave up or what happened. Maybe with some digging on the web you could find out if they are still pursuing it. I also heard the guitarist in Ramstein was making one. I don't know if he is selling them. I'll follow up with whatever info I can dig up about mine.

EV
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post
I'll follow up with whatever info I can dig up about mine.

EV
Thanks heaps Eric!
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search