If you had no choice but to master with vst plugins only what vst will you choose ?
PureArtist
9th August 2011
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

If you had no choice but to master with vst plugins only what vst will you choose ?

If you had no choice but to master with vst plugins only what vst plugins will you choose ?
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Hi Eric! I'd like to know this too. And if you can give us an example of one track you mixed using mostly plug-ins. Thanks!
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusWendel View Post
Hi Eric! I'd like to know this too. And if you can give us an example of one track you mixed using mostly plug-ins. Thanks!
I don't use the vst plugin format but I suppose a lot of the choices are the same.

For mastering if I am EQing in the box i have had the best luck with:

Massenberg EQ
Waves Linear Phase EQ
PSP NEON
Q10 (for surgical stuff)

I haven't found any plugins I like for compression

For getting level I have tried a variety of things:

Sony Oxford Limiter
Slate FGX
letting things just clip

I have been struggling with that issue. I really don't like the sound of actually limiting the mix. I feel like it is just turning down the kick and snare in the mix. I am developing a plugin for achieving level without limiting. So far the results have been good. I have been using it to master some recent stuff. I just mastered an EP for Jason Hill from Louis XIV. He has a new project called "Vicky Cryer" that is really cool. Check out the song "Girls" it is an amazing mix (mixed by Matt Radosevich) and a really cool song. It is a good example of what this new level boosting mastering plugin can do as well.

EV
nms
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Hey Eric. Quick question here touching on your thoughts on plugin compression - have you used The Glue? Just wondering if your dissatisfaction of plugin compression is inclusive of that. With the hpf, wet/dry mix and oversampling it's top of the pile IMO but I'm curious if you've tried it and still feel hardware is your must have.
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post
I have been struggling with that issue. I really don't like the sound of actually limiting the mix. I feel like it is just turning down the kick and snare in the mix. I am developing a plugin for achieving level without limiting. So far the results have been good. I have been using it to master some recent stuff. I just mastered an EP for Jason Hill from Louis XIV. He has a new project called "Vicky Cryer" that is really cool. Check out the song "Girls" it is an amazing mix (mixed by Matt Radosevich) and a really cool song. It is a good example of what this new level boosting mastering plugin can do as well.

EV
could you talk a little more about how this plugin works? unless it's secret that is...

thanks
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Hey Eric. Quick question here touching on your thoughts on plugin compression - have you used The Glue? Just wondering if your dissatisfaction of plugin compression is inclusive of that. With the hpf, wet/dry mix and oversampling it's top of the pile IMO but I'm curious if you've tried it and still feel hardware is your must have.
I am pretty behind the curve when it comes to the latest and greatest with plugins. They definitely keep getting better and better but I just haven't had the time to check out all of the new ones and keep up. It seems like compression and harmonic coloration are the toughest nuts to crack digitally. Sounds like The Glue is starting to feel like a worthy replacement for the analog counterparts for you. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the tip!!

EV
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricalSound View Post
could you talk a little more about how this plugin works? unless it's secret that is...

thanks
I am still trying to decide if I want to get into the insane business of selling plugins. If I do, this plug in would be the first one, so it is probably best for me to not go into to much detail. The other issue is that it is incredibly simple (which is part of why I think it works as well as it does) and would be very easy to replicate from a basic description. As much as I should say is that it allows one to establish a peak limit (lets say -.01dBfs) and increase the level without going over the limit while preserving as much information as possible in the loudest part of the dynamic range.

I like it because it keeps the loudness issue away from the dynamics. Usually my mixes are compressed the way I like when when I am done with them. I would rather not have the loudness process further alter the dynamics after I am done with the mix.

If I get it together to start selling it I'll be able to describe it in more detail.

EV
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

I would buy the plugin immediately.
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post

If I get it together to start selling it I'll be able to describe it in more detail.

EV
I honestly cant wait for that to happen (the start selling part). This sounds really awsome, all the loudness and no loss of detail! what more do you want..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search