Login / Register

C12A for toms
Subscribe
Blast9
20th July 2011
Old 20th July 2011

C12A for toms

Hi Eric - I note you like using these for Toms - quite an esoteric choice!

I have only ever seen/used one in my life on vocals, and acoustic guitar, I'd describe it as a fairly neutral mic with lovely clear top end.

What do you prefer about the C12A on Toms as opposed to the "usual suspects"?
::
twitter > http://twitter.com/mitchellmusic - http://www.twitter.com/theyardbirds
20th July 2011
Old 20th July 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Hi Eric - I note you like using these for Toms - quite an esoteric choice!

I have only ever seen/used one in my life on vocals, and acoustic guitar, I'd describe it as a fairly neutral mic with lovely clear top end.

What do you prefer about the C12A on Toms as opposed to the "usual suspects"?
I first heard about using C12As on toms in an Alan Sides article. He said it was his favorite tom mic. I tried it and really liked it. It is a very natural sound on toms. C12As are a little smoother sounding than regular C12s and seem to have a really great tonal balance for toms. They always come up in the control room sounding very much like the toms do when you're sitting behind the kit. I have always felt like 421s need a lot of EQ before they start sounding anything like the toms in the room. I do occasionally use other stuff when I am going for a specific effect. On the Slash album I was using AKG D20s on the toms for a dryer thuddier sound.

EV
22nd July 2011
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

That was also a Jack Puig staple around 1990. C12 overheads and c12a's on toms. He must have picked that up from Allen Sides as well.
23rd July 2011
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear nut

Was that Matt Laug on drums for the Slash recording. Matt is a friend and what an amazing drummer

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
10th August 2011
Old 10th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmoves View Post
Was that Matt Laug on drums for the Slash recording. Matt is a friend and what an amazing drummer

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
The majority of the drums on the slash record were played by Josh Freese. Dave Grohl played on 'Watch This', Steve Ferrone played on Back From Cali and Starlight. Steven Adler played on a song called Baby Can't Drive.

EV
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Eric, did you had the chance to work with "budget" OHs mics that you actually liked? Something like the Sm81 maybe?

Thanks!
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez View Post
Eric, did you had the chance to work with "budget" OHs mics that you actually liked? Something like the Sm81 maybe?

Thanks!
I do own an SM81 and do use it. It was the mono room mic on the recent TBS record. There is also this crazy Apex 460 tube mic that is impossibly cheap. You can get it for $189 with a great shock mount, power supply, and plastic case! Its insane. I couldn't get someone in the US to make the metal housing for that microphone for less than $200. Anyway, it is an incredible value. The mic actually sounds pretty good as is. Its a little hypey sounding in the high end. Not the most natural sound I've ever heard in my life but totally usable. We moded the circuit to replace some of the very cheap components and clean up some lazy choices in the circuit design and it sounds a bit better (there is lots of info about mods for that mic on the web). I am still searching for a replacement capsule. If I find the right capsule there is no reason that mic wouldn't be as usable as my 67s or 251 or C12As.

EV
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search