Login / Register

Good Charlotte questions
Subscribe
juniorhifikit
20th July 2011
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to juniorhifikit Send a message via Skype™ to juniorhifikit
Good Charlotte questions

Hi Eric - I have a few Good Charlotte questions, and some of them relate to other topics as well, but I thought I'd ask them all in one place.

- Who wrote the Danny Elfman-esque arrangement on "A New Beginning"?
- Did they use your famous drum kit that you hadn't changed (which died at the hands of Dave Grohl)? It has a sound that I hear on several other records you produced (Persephone's Bees, Smashmouth), and I'm trying to ascertain if it's from the kit, or your techniques.
- Is that actually "Lust For Life" slipped under the drums in "Lifestyles" (if you can't or would rather not say for certain reasons, I understand).
- Is your "compression/expansion at the time time" technique something that you do often, or just occasionally?

Thanks.
21st July 2011
Old 21st July 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
Hi Eric - I have a few Good Charlotte questions, and some of them relate to other topics as well, but I thought I'd ask them all in one place.

- Who wrote the Danny Elfman-esque arrangement on "A New Beginning"?
I wrote and arranged the sound track intro on the album. The idea came from hanging out with them in DC. I typically will make arrangements to spend a couple of days hangin out with the band members in their home turf before starting a record. It is an opportunity to get to know them, get to know their tastes, talk about music, talk about the record, listen to music etc. One thing that struck me was that one of the CDs that was in their CD changer when we were driving around was the sound track to Edward Scissor Hands. When it came on it surprised me and asked is this your usual driving around music? And they all went on and on about how much they love that sound track and love Danny Elfman and listen to his sound tracks all the time. I thought we should do something like this on the record. It is a totally sincere, organic influence for the band and should be represented. I came up with the opening part and then we collaborated on the portion when the band comes in. It was a lot of fun to do. I am also a huge Danny Elfman fan.

Quote:
- Did they use your famous drum kit that you hadn't changed (which died at the hands of Dave Grohl)? It has a sound that I hear on several other records you produced (Persephone's Bees, Smashmouth), and I'm trying to ascertain if it's from the kit, or your techniques.
They did use my same collection of drums but the lovely 6 year Pearl Export snare drum died months before on the QOTSA album. I went directly from the QOTSA record to the Good Charlotte record. That is a head spinning stylistic change for sure. I went from being a drug rehab counselor to being a summer camp counselor over night Good Charlotte mostly used the Sonor kit and the vintage 60's ludwig kit (Vintage 60s ludwig kit was used on the entire P's Bees record).

Quote:
- Is that actually "Lust For Life" slipped under the drums in "Lifestyles" (if you can't or would rather not say for certain reasons, I understand).
The drum sound and groove on Lifestyles was very much inspired by Lust For Life. I set up a drum kit right at the opening to the reverb chamber. I used a 28" slingerland marching kick drum with the original very thin heads for the kick. the snare was the red vista light. I am pretty sure there were no toms setup. I think there are no toms on that song. It was a somewhat minimal micing where I tried to use mostly close mics but have the sound of the chamber bleed into the close mics. That was the best I could come up with from listening to the Lust for Life recording. I will also say that in the final mix the drums on Lifestyles were directly "influenced" by the Lust For Life drums

- Is your "compression/expansion at the time time" technique something that you do often, or just occasionally?

I pretty much never set a gate so it completely shuts off in between openings. I always leave as much natural ambience as I can in each mic. It makes it way easier for me to get the drum kit to sound more cohesive. I just use the gates only as much as I need to to get the hihat and cymbal bleed under control. With minimalistic micing like on the P's Bees record it is essential. That record is a really good example of the expander/compressor trick.

EV
juniorhifikit
21st July 2011
Old 21st July 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to juniorhifikit Send a message via Skype™ to juniorhifikit

great stuff - thanks Eric!
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

Jim Keaney @ Devotion Recording's Avatar

I really like the kick drum on that record. It's so dry/close & flappy sounding. Definitely adds some more character.

Eric, aside from it being a giant kick, any specific production/trick involved?

Thanks!
15th August 2011
Old 15th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo-bration View Post
I really like the kick drum on that record. It's so dry/close & flappy sounding. Definitely adds some more character.

Eric, aside from it being a giant kick, any specific production/trick involved?

Thanks!
I think the only other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that there is definitely a 909 electronic "dance" type kick sample subtly blended in with the kick sound on Lifestyles. That is something I do like to do occasionally. Electronic kick sounds are so clean that they are easy to tuck up underneath a live kick sound to only add weight to the low end. You end up hearing all of the mid range character of the live kick drum but have supported by a very consistent more modern sounding low end.

EV
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Jim Keaney @ Devotion Recording's Avatar

Ah yes! I absolutely hear it now that you point it out.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search