Eric Valentines Underhead issues
Old 12th October 2010
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post
I76 doesn't come up very often! The I76 stuff was recorded sometime back in the mid 90s. That was well before I started using underheads. I76 was all done with very simple minimalistic mic setups designed to emulate the sound of the various classic songs that inspired the recordings. Basics were recorded directly to analog tape on a NEVE 8068 at Royaltone studios. No computers or samples were used on the recordings. Overdubs and final mixes were done at H.O.S. studios in Redwood City on a NEVE 8038.

EV
Hey EV,

Thanks for the reply. Well the I'76 sessions are certainly some of my fav sounding recordings. Would you have used a similar drum setup to that of 'by the sword' on Slash's album? And what kind of bass and snare drum mic was used on I'76?

Michael Tretow got some great drum sounds in the early 70's with ABBA. I know he was a big fan of having a 176N over the kit and bass, then mixing that in with the dry signals. I'76 reminds me a lot of that sound.

Great work.
WT
Old 12th October 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem5 View Post
i cant believe it!
my band got invited to CMJ in NY in october.. so looks like i will coming to the states afterall

I JUST miss AES though :(
very interested to see this new undertone gear though eric. might see if i can hang around for another week or so.

is it going to be REALLy expensive Eric? haha
The rack mount Mic/Pre EQ, I think will be very affordable. I am trying to keep the pricing in a range that makes it accessible for everyone. The custom consoles certainly will be a bit pricey but I think will be more affordable than many of the comparable options out there.

AES should be a lot of fun. We will have a 24 channel version of the console setup with multitrack sessions of some of the songs I have recorded over the years (plus some familiar classics) for people to play with. We will have demonstrations setup to show what the Acoustically Transparent Work Surface does and there will be an opportunity to win one of the prototype rack mount EQs.

Good luck at CMJ!

EV
Old 12th October 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonTone View Post
Hey EV,

Thanks for the reply. Well the I'76 sessions are certainly some of my fav sounding recordings. Would you have used a similar drum setup to that of 'by the sword' on Slash's album? And what kind of bass and snare drum mic was used on I'76?

Michael Tretow got some great drum sounds in the early 70's with ABBA. I know he was a big fan of having a 176N over the kit and bass, then mixing that in with the dry signals. I'76 reminds me a lot of that sound.

Great work.
WT
There were quite a lot of different setups used on that. roughly half the songs were recorded out in a large-ish room with some gobos around the kit and the other half was recorded in a booth. I think if I had a chance to listen to the recordings again some of the detail about the setups would come back to me. I'll try to post some more stuff when I've had a chance to do that.

EV
Old 13th October 2010
Gear nut

hey eric,

thanks for luck...although... your country is proving to be a very tough one to get into :(
Already had to cancel out Viper Room show because of VISA's delays :( ...very bummed out about that one!

The I'76 soundtrack is great! I had no idea you did that! I remember thinking that from when I was a kid.

I love those chandler drive units too.. i have also used them regularly with drums.. along with a sansamp psa1.
I just bought an Ampex 4 track so im really looking forward to getting it running and smashing some drums through that too!

I haven't tried HEAT yet? might give it a shot.. I've been using the Massey Tape-head.. which is pretty cool.. especially when you run a few units in a row!

I'm really loving the approach you were talking about of tracking in tools and mixing on tape. Makes the outboard work so much nicer. cheers! Although.. im doing it with an 8-track at the moment! ha!

Good luck at AES! Can't wait to see this stuff on the market!
...when are you aiming for?
Old 13th December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
the closest thing I've ever seen to real EMI stuff in OZ is these OBA-1 units that some techs from EMI made over here for location recording.
I think they actually run off batteries and need some serious mods for studio use haha

A guy called Joe Malone makes a pretty mean clone over here as well though which I reckon sounds pretty amazing.

I reckon what those pre's do to sound would bring out the kick and snare in a really nice/interesting way with this style of tuning/mic'ing as I find myself trying to eq in those sort of qualities to the sound. e

shame about giving back the MkIV man.. i think if I owned one I'd build my whole studio to look like the Enterprise around it
Buzz Bidstrup (the Angels drummer) at one point owned an EMI TG console - in fact it might be the one now in the Gallagher's studio. A bloke I was working for was interested in it, but the asking price was very high. The board sat for a while at Megaphon studio in St Peters Sydney (I did a few days on it, made me want to wear a dust coat while driving it!).

Eric's custom board sounds pretty damn trick. I've always been a fan of adding a pinch of resonance at the cutoff point of HPFs and LPFs, and I think having every channel in a desk equipped with such comprehensive EQ would really dampen the desire to look outboard a hell of a lot.
Old 14th December 2010
Deleted User

Bump for Eric re: I'76 recordings. They are just simply too good to not shed some light on!
Old 30th December 2010
Gear nut

getting there...

hey guys,

heres a short track me and this guy did for a film trailer in a day.

Classic sort of rock track with the big open kick and I used royer 121's underhead. I'm really dying to compare them to the Coles 4038 ribbons, royers to me are a little bit much the 'hi-fi' mans ribbon mic.

I'm getting sooo much closer to the sound I been going for and your right Eric, the distressors and sansamp psa-1 are playing a very large roll in getting that awesome upper mid-range punch.

let me know your thoughts.
kindest
Matt
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 dgmaster2.mp3 (3.56 MB, 390 views)
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

pardon the ignorance.

Are the positive sides pointing at the floor or the ceiling?
Old 30th December 2010
Gear nut

bright sides pointing up at cymbals...
or whatever.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear nut

The I'76 is amazing hey... arrangements are incredible too... sooo damn classic AND funky!

they sure dont make games the way they used too. e
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Michael Urbano played on 4 songs on the record:

Losing A Whole Year
Narcolepsy
Motorcycle Drive By
How's It Gonna Be

All 4 of these songs had somewhat peculiar circumstances around them...

EV
God I love that album both music and sound wise! The cymbal sound on Motorcycle Drive By is one of my favorite cymbal sounds eva!

I can't seem to be able to find Third Eye Blind's first album on vinyl. Eric send me a signed copy of that album please! I kid but seriously that album is no where to be found on the internet.

Old 4th January 2011
Gear nut

man! i can't stop listening to Interstate '76 soundtrack.
Its got some amazing playing on it too!

hey Eric,
how ever did you get that crunchy snare sound in "Spineless Funk". Thats something I've been trying to get for ages but duno how to do without a sample e.

I'll upload the track so you can re-listen to refresh memory.

No rush on response man.. i know your busy.
thanks heaps Eric!

p.s. how is the new taking back record going. I saw the video on their website.. looks fun!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 21 Spineless Funk.mp3 (2.85 MB, 296 views)
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey where's Arion?
Old 6th January 2011
Gear nut

Arion?
Old 7th January 2011
Gear interested

Not sure if you still check this Eric...

I know I'm wayy too late to this forum, but in case you do come back I just wanted to thank you for all the inspiration over the years. Your records re-defined what records should sound like... I was 11 years old when Astro Lounge came out and I knew after that album that I wanted to make records. "Allstar" aside, that you truly captured the 60's surf vibe, it's a phenomenal record!!

I was curious if Barefoot studios ever hires on new interns and if so how would one go about applying?

Also, do you ever do "Pro-bono" work producing bands who don't have a billion dollar budget?

It's been a privilege reading all of your answers on this forum, I look forward to the new TBS album and really hope you can find the time to share more wisdom with us!

-JJ
The Mandala Virus
Old 12th January 2011
Gear interested

Eric,

Many thanks for your time and tips.

I really like to way you make drums sounding.

I m specially curious about the method you've been using to record the drums on the song "Ghost" on the last Slash record.

This is so huge, so closed.

I have difficluties to nail that closed kick and snare sound.
Did you mic'ed the Toms as well ?

Many thanks for your feedback and time.
Old 27th January 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
On 'Gives You Hell' there is no distorted electric guitar on the choruses until the last one. The first 2 choruses are all acoustic guitar and distorted bass (playing chords). The distorted bass sound is an old Kay bass that looks like an SG (don't know what model it is) plugged into two amp setups. Amp #1 was a 70's Big Muff pedal into a Magnatone 260 guitar amp that has 2 12" speakers in it with a 47fet in front of one of the speakers. it is incredible for bass guitar. More sub low end than I've ever been able to get out of an SVT. Amp #2 was a Soldano SLO100 going into an SVT cab with a C12a on it.
thank you so much on the insight! invaluable, and heaviest tone ive heard on a pop rock record

just wondering what mics and gear were used for the acoustic guitar, and also what instrument (or sample) plays behind the chorus of Gives You Hell? it sounds like a distorted string (note sounds like a high E panning left to right) thumbsup

also if you remember... where did that little bell sample loop thing come from in the beginning of Stay Home (with Matt Mahaffey)
Old 31st January 2011
Gear interested

I've tried the last couple of weeks the eric Valentine's Underhead technic.

Sounds pretty awesome I would say, It's quite hard to get the right mic placement.
The most difficult one is the mic above the snare and Kick Drums..
On Eric's pic, the drummer didn t use medium Tom, and this is my major issue.

With the 2 figure 8 mics, I get a really good tom sound, but for the Mic placement above the snare and the kick drums, it prevents me from being confortabel behind the drums by playing with the medium Tom

How would you proceed guys ?

My problem was alos that this snare/kick mic also have lots of hit hat in it, and it wa pretty hard to mix.
Still need to pratice some experiments on that, because it sounds reallly different and really great.

Thanks for bringing this new technic to us.
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoof View Post
I've tried the last couple of weeks the eric Valentine's Underhead technic.

Sounds pretty awesome I would say, It's quite hard to get the right mic placement.
The most difficult one is the mic above the snare and Kick Drums..
On Eric's pic, the drummer didn t use medium Tom, and this is my major issue.

With the 2 figure 8 mics, I get a really good tom sound, but for the Mic placement above the snare and the kick drums, it prevents me from being confortabel behind the drums by playing with the medium Tom

How would you proceed guys ?

My problem was alos that this snare/kick mic also have lots of hit hat in it, and it wa pretty hard to mix.
Still need to pratice some experiments on that, because it sounds reallly different and really great.

Thanks for bringing this new technic to us.
I try to get it placed so that I have a good balance between hi-hat and snare. IMO you are going to fight a losing battle if you try to get rid of the hats with the mic there. The few times I've used a similar technique, I just tweaked until I was getting a good balance between the two.
Old 31st January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
hey guys,

heres a short track me and this guy did for a film trailer in a day.

Classic sort of rock track with the big open kick and I used royer 121's underhead. I'm really dying to compare them to the Coles 4038 ribbons, royers to me are a little bit much the 'hi-fi' mans ribbon mic.

I'm getting sooo much closer to the sound I been going for and your right Eric, the distressors and sansamp psa-1 are playing a very large roll in getting that awesome upper mid-range punch.

let me know your thoughts.
kindest
Matt
Matt,

Nicely done! The snare is especially punchy. You gotta love the distressors!!

EV
Old 31st January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
man! i can't stop listening to Interstate '76 soundtrack.
Its got some amazing playing on it too!

hey Eric,
how ever did you get that crunchy snare sound in "Spineless Funk". Thats something I've been trying to get for ages but duno how to do without a sample e.

I'll upload the track so you can re-listen to refresh memory.

No rush on response man.. i know your busy.
thanks heaps Eric!

p.s. how is the new taking back record going. I saw the video on their website.. looks fun!
I cant say I remember exactly what was used while mixing that, but I can definitely hear the sound of the tape machine and it sounds like there is some chandler Tube Driver on the snr mic. That is something I have been using for a long long time

TBS record has been a lot of fun. I will start mixing this coming week. I am finishing the last bits of vocal comping, some last minute reamping to get the guitar sounds a little better in some spots and some percussion overdubs. It is at that point (that I always seem to end up in) where the record company is freaking out because it was supposed to be done a month ago and I'm obsessing over everything trying to make it as goos as I can.

I think the record is going to be really great. I think, for me, we beat Louder Now. Bringing John and Shawn back into the band was really inspiring for them and they worked really hard on these songs. Its been very inspiring for me to do an entire project on the Undertone Audio console and am excited for people to hear it.

EV
Old 31st January 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMandalaVirus View Post
I know I'm wayy too late to this forum, but in case you do come back I just wanted to thank you for all the inspiration over the years. Your records re-defined what records should sound like... I was 11 years old when Astro Lounge came out and I knew after that album that I wanted to make records. "Allstar" aside, that you truly captured the 60's surf vibe, it's a phenomenal record!!

I was curious if Barefoot studios ever hires on new interns and if so how would one go about applying?

Also, do you ever do "Pro-bono" work producing bands who don't have a billion dollar budget?

It's been a privilege reading all of your answers on this forum, I look forward to the new TBS album and really hope you can find the time to share more wisdom with us!

-JJ
The Mandala Virus
Hey,

We are all set with interns/assistants at Barefoot at the moment. If we need more help in the future I'll this in mind.

I have done pure fun projects in the past. It usually comes up when I need a break from the deafening roar of - WE NEED SINGLES!! WE NEED A FIRST SINGLE!! WE NEED SONGS WE CAN PLAY ON THE RADIO!! CAN WE HAVE MORE CHORUSES!! CAN THE SONG START WITH A CHORUS AND THEN GO INTO A CHORUS AND WITH A CHORUS??!!, that is constantly emanating from the record companies.

I did that with the band Persephone's Bees and with the second Death Ray album 'Believe Me'. I recorded both of those records for free. There is way more room for experimentation and creativity without the afore mentioned voice in the room. I think those records are a pretty cool example of that.

The choice to do it is very random. It just has to be something I stumble across that I know will be a really great experience to record.

EV
Old 31st January 2011
Gear nut

wow eric!
im so honored that you had a listen.
thanks!
Quote:
Matt,

Nicely done! The snare is especially punchy. You gotta love the distressors!!

EV
I might have to put that on my testimonials page.. hahaha

cheers for feedback on the 'I '76' snare sound! yeah.. its a ripper.
I have recently acquired a chandler tube driver from a friend so i'm dying to really see what I can do with it. I'm hoping it will be everything the sansamp isn't!
I have an 80's moog-funk band job coming up which i'm planning that sort of tapey 'I'76' vibe for so I'll let you all know how I go.

would i be right in saying i can hear some reversed snare reverb tail on that record too?

totally pumped to TBS.. i duno how you do it but you always seem to bring the absolute best out of them!
remind me to pick your brian one day about how you managed to get those vocals takes on Louder Now. They were such a step up from all their previous records and I'm sure you had something to do with it

thanks again Eric, good luck with mix!
Let me know if you need a hand haha

P.S been spreading the word on your new ATWS system... and the general response is... "arghhh! OF COURSE!"

...genius
Old 31st January 2011
Gear nut

ohhh.. also...
I had exact same issue with that DAMN apple video card.
AND.. I HAD to replace it with one from apple cause the exact same card I bought 80% cheaper from another computer store wouldnt work!

...bastardo's!

...then my hard drive crashed in the apple store's tech department while installing the new video card
hahaha
Old 14th March 2011
Gear nut

damn!
Chandler on tape driven Oberheim DX ...... thats the sound!
The chandler can sort of make it sound like there is a clap behind the snare too.

you guys have gotta try this!
i'll post some stuff from this record soon when its all done.

It sounds like Chromeo meets the Flight of the Navigator Soundtrack (Alan Silvestri)
Old 23rd March 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
you have an uncanny memory of how shit got done Eric!
No joke! Great thread.
Old 17th August 2011
Gear nut

Eric, I can't thank you enough for all the info you're giving us...wow
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search