Login / Register

Any Cheap Trick details? Stories?
Subscribe
timtoonz
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Any Cheap Trick details? Stories?

I'm a huge fan of Cheap Trick, especially their first 4 or 5 albums...

Is there any specifics you can share about Bun E.'s tom sound that features so prominently on songs like ELO Kiddies, and C'mon C'mon, etc....

And the 'clanky' Rickenbacker bass sound on those early records -- I'm guessing it's a mic'd amp? Any distortion?

Basically I'm all ears for any Cheap Trick info you care to share. But drums n' bass are the sounds I especially love from those early tracks.

THANKS!
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
I'm a huge fan of Cheap Trick, especially their first 4 or 5 albums...

Is there any specifics you can share about Bun E.'s tom sound that features so prominently on songs like ELO Kiddies, and C'mon C'mon, etc....

And the 'clanky' Rickenbacker bass sound on those early records -- I'm guessing it's a mic'd amp? Any distortion?

Basically I'm all ears for any Cheap Trick info you care to share. But drums n' bass are the sounds I especially love from those early tracks.

THANKS!

The bass sound was through a modified Ampeg B-15. It was a combination of a DI from the output of the head plus an RE-20 on the amp. We were able to get some good grit from that amp. As far as the drums go, I may have used U-87's on the toms, as well as the overheads. I also had a Shotgun 405 high above the snare and pointing straight at it. There was an 1176 on that mic with a lot of compression.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search