The old CBS Volumax Limiters
Subscribe
12ax7
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

The old CBS Volumax Limiters

Thanks for doing this.

Most of my questions seem to have already been asked here, but...

Word has it that Roy Cicala was partial to the old CBS Volumax broadcast limiters, and had a few of them around the Record Plant.

I got one (a 411) a couple of years back, and have enjoyed using it on bass and sometimes snare or even vocals (among other things).

It really came alive when I re-capped and calibrated it a while back. (Then modified it to switch the pre-emphasis on and off, and to switch the clippers on and off.)

Did you find them useful? (And if so, on what?)

Which models were there, and were any of them modified?
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post

Thanks for doing this.

Most of my questions seem to have already been asked here, but...

Word has it that Roy Cicala was partial to the old CBS Volumax broadcast limiters, and had a few of them around the Record Plant.

I got one (a 411) a couple of years back, and have enjoyed using it on bass and sometimes snare or even vocals (among other things).

It really came alive when I re-capped and calibrated it a while back. (Then modified it to switch the pre-emphasis on and off, and to switch the clippers on and off.)

Did you find them useful? (And if so, on what?)

Which models were there, and were any of them modified?

I couldn't give you any of the tech specs, because I didn't use them that much, and wasn't privy to any modifications that may have been done.

Mostly, I liked them on bass and toms. I remember the tweaking being critical, especially for toms. When it was right, it really brought the toms to life.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search