Subscribe
Rickard Bengtsso
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear addict

Referencing Mixes

Hi Jay
Thank you for answering our questions.

When you are mixing or recording, du you use any references for sounds or balance etc at any stage. If so, how do you approach them?
Especially if you are working in a studio or place where you don´t know the rooms acoustics or speakers that well:-)

Thanks a lot.
Best
Rickard Bengtsson
The Sweetspot Recording Studio
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickard Bengtsso View Post
Hi Jay
Thank you for answering our questions.

When you are mixing or recording, du you use any references for sounds or balance etc at any stage. If so, how do you approach them?
Especially if you are working in a studio or place where you don´t know the rooms acoustics or speakers that well:-)

Thanks a lot.
Best
Rickard Bengtsson
The Sweetspot Recording Studio

If I'm going to work in a studio that I'm not familiar with the monitors, I always bring at least one or two CD's that I know sound good, and I'm familiar with. I'll listen to them for at least 15 minutes before I do anything. I believe, at that point, your brain now knows what things are supposed to sound like. After I'm into a mix for an hour or two, I'll check that reference CD once more. If I don't get any surprises, I'll continue with my mix and check the ref once more after I have a mix that I'm happy with.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

What songs have you been using lately as references?

What are other old favorites go-to recordings as references?
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
What songs have you been using lately as references?

What are other old favorites go-to recordings as references?
It really depends on the style of music i'm mixing. If it's something with acoustic bass, I'll usually ref a record I mixed for Chin Suzuki called 'East Bounce'. The cut that I play is called "Somewhere I Never Travelled". They've played it on one of the more 'easy listening' stations here, for years. I love the bottom on it. As far a a rock record goes, I usually ask what bands the artist likes, and go from there. I used to use Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" because of the full bandwidth of the mix. Great bottom and top.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search