Drum sound on Destroyer
jampot
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear nut

Drum sound on Destroyer

Hi Jay,

Kiss are one of the bands that eventually through a long path got me into engineering, and Destroyer still stands in my mind as one of the best sounding records of all time.

I've always loved the drum sound, and tried many times to get the depth and size myself, but never can. If you can recall, could you elaborate the engineering process for the drums on Destroyer? XY Overheads 10FT above the kit? Room Mics? etc..

Thanks very much for doing this, and for engineering one of the greatest rock records!!!

Jampot
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
Hi Jay,

Kiss are one of the bands that eventually through a long path got me into engineering, and Destroyer still stands in my mind as one of the best sounding records of all time.

I've always loved the drum sound, and tried many times to get the depth and size myself, but never can. If you can recall, could you elaborate the engineering process for the drums on Destroyer? XY Overheads 10FT above the kit? Room Mics? etc..

Thanks very much for doing this, and for engineering one of the greatest rock records!!!

Jampot

The drums were not always set up in the same way for each song. Sometimes they were in the back of the studio, with the door to the hallway left open. There was at least one U-87 in the hallway. I used U-87's for OH's (approx. 5 ft. over the kit). I positioned them so I got the snare image to be centered when listening just to the OH's (when panned full left & right). I sometimes used a Sennheiser shotgun 805, as high as I could get it, and point it straight down at the snare.

Last edited by Jay Messina; 30th April 2012 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: mistakenly referred to Sennheiser shotgun 805, as shotgun 405
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search