Login / Register

Stereo bus processing
Subscribe
Cegor
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear nut

Stereo bus processing

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer questions from everyone!

On to mine, do you ever do on any processing on the stereo bus when your mixing? If so, what's the reason and vice versa if you don't.

Thanks,
Chongor
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cegor View Post
Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer questions from everyone!

On to mine, do you ever do on any processing on the stereo bus when your mixing? If so, what's the reason and vice versa if you don't.

Thanks,
Chongor

I like to hold off on any buss compression until I'm totally happy with the mix. I do this for several reasons. If you put a compressor on the bus early in the mix, the compression action will keep changing, so you can lose your perspective. When you don't have processing on your bus right from the start, it makes you work harder to get something that sounds good. If you get a mix sounding good without something on the 2 trk bus, that means you've probably done some individual treatment of instruments. That kind of detail is what make a mix stand out. If I have a mix that I'm happy with, I'll then try some processing. If it doesn't make it better, I leave it out.
Cegor
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear nut

Lets say the mix is truly glistening after you've added the stereo bus processing, is there a limit to where you stop processing and leave the rest to the mastering engineer? Aside from Limiting for loudness (assuming).
1st May 2012
Old 1st May 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cegor View Post
Lets say the mix is truly glistening after you've added the stereo bus processing, is there a limit to where you stop processing and leave the rest to the mastering engineer? Aside from Limiting for loudness (assuming).
I feel it's a mistake to not be totally happy with your mix when you're finished. Expecting it to sound better after mastering is not a good habit to get into. So, to answer your question directly, I would stop processing when I am happy with the mix, and feel there is nothing else I can do to make it better.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search