Old 21st April 2012
Gear addict

EQ'ing order

Hi Jay

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Where should I start EQ'ing?

Should I start with the most important instrument for example the vocals for pop music (assuming they need EQ'ing), or go directly to an instrument that sounds like it most needs it (for example isn't sitting or sounding right)?

I find this especially difficult when I am working with more than 10 tracks. Sometimes EQ'ing 1 track can really affect the other instruments. Conversely, I can sometimes EQ one track and there is very little difference to the mix.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 23rd April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvdbroek View Post
Hi Jay

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Where should I start EQ'ing?

Should I start with the most important instrument for example the vocals for pop music (assuming they need EQ'ing), or go directly to an instrument that sounds like it most needs it (for example isn't sitting or sounding right)?

I find this especially difficult when I am working with more than 10 tracks. Sometimes EQ'ing 1 track can really affect the other instruments. Conversely, I can sometimes EQ one track and there is very little difference to the mix.

Thanks,
Alex
Hi Alex,

It's a good idea to have a sound in mind, that you want your mix to sound like. I like to think of mixing as painting a picture, so where ever you start you mix (you don't have to have a formula for how or where you start), if the sound (or color) isn't what you like, you can change it.
Perhaps you should try getting a quick rough mix of everything, without any EQ, to start with. Then EQ what doesn't jump out at you. Have fun when you mix.
Old 24th April 2012
Gear addict

Thanks Jay.
A.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search