Login / Register

Inside view on labels
Subscribe
scorpiwoman
21st April 2012
Old 21st April 2012
Gear maniac

Inside view on labels

Hi Jay, thank you for being apart of gearslutz. Long time fan of your work.

I've heard stories about labels trying to push artist or bands into a certain musical direction. My question is has it ever filtered down to your job as engineer. Example, label comes in and asks for a song (album) to be mixed or sound a certain way and it conflicts with what the artist or band wants, how do you handle the situation to make both parties happy?

Thank You, Spencer
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiwoman View Post
Hi Jay, thank you for being apart of gearslutz. Long time fan of your work.

I've heard stories about labels trying to push artist or bands into a certain musical direction. My question is has it ever filtered down to your job as engineer. Example, label comes in and asks for a song (album) to be mixed or sound a certain way and it conflicts with what the artist or band wants, how do you handle the situation to make both parties happy?

Thank You, Spencer
Hey Spencer,

As an engineer, I'm usually shielded from label intervention by the producer. If I am in the producer role I'll try to get them to agree on one particular approach. Maybe suggesting some sort of compromise might work. Each situation is different, but I think the best approach is not to take sides, but try to get them to agree with one another. Mixing a record, by listening to more than one 'direction' never really gets done appropriately.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search