Login / Register

Several questions about sessions you've done
Subscribe
thenoodle
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for food

Several questions about sessions you've done

I'm not sure at what stage you were involved on these, but I've always been interested.....

Three Dog Night- Hard Labor Album--

Were you there for tracking? Which songs were you in on for tracking or mix? What were they recording on? 24 track? Twin sync machines?
If you were there for tracking, did the three singers also play on the tracks (since all are guitar players too). Loved their drummer Floyd Sneed.
This album seems to be about the time the act was slowing down or falling apart. Any memories of the 3DN sessions?

Toys in the Attic... "Sweet Emotion"-

How was the lead guitar set up and mic'd? Was it a Marshall? Stack? Was Joe in the control room with the amp out in the studio set to 11? Great sound on that. Were the lead parts double tracked?

Tonight I Celebrate My Love (Roberta Flack) ...
What's the reverb? lex 250? Live chamber? Plate?

Lady Love Me (George Benson)...

Which reverb on the main wash for that one? ... also, the hi-hat is very prominent in a nice isolated spot... was that an overdub?.. Or if not an overdub, how was the hh micd to get that separation. Were these George Benson era tracks still on 24 track analog? Or Digital? Do you remember which machine?

Ha ha... I sound like I have you on the witness stand in court. Sorry about the rapid fire questions!!
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I'm not sure at what stage you were involved on these, but I've always been interested.....

Three Dog Night- Hard Labor Album--

Were you there for tracking? Which songs were you in on for tracking or mix? What were they recording on? 24 track? Twin sync machines?
If you were there for tracking, did the three singers also play on the tracks (since all are guitar players too). Loved their drummer Floyd Sneed.
This album seems to be about the time the act was slowing down or falling apart. Any memories of the 3DN sessions?

Toys in the Attic... "Sweet Emotion"-

How was the lead guitar set up and mic'd? Was it a Marshall? Stack? Was Joe in the control room with the amp out in the studio set to 11? Great sound on that. Were the lead parts double tracked?

Tonight I Celebrate My Love (Roberta Flack) ...
What's the reverb? lex 250? Live chamber? Plate?

Lady Love Me (George Benson)...

Which reverb on the main wash for that one? ... also, the hi-hat is very prominent in a nice isolated spot... was that an overdub?.. Or if not an overdub, how was the hh micd to get that separation. Were these George Benson era tracks still on 24 track analog? Or Digital? Do you remember which machine?

Ha ha... I sound like I have you on the witness stand in court. Sorry about the rapid fire questions!!

I did a few weeks of vocals with 3DN at Record Plant in Ca. Roy Cicala was recording the album but had to return to NY for some reason. He asked me to cover for him and continue with the project. I also did some mixes back in New York, but don't remember which songs. I believe it was 24 trk.

The lead on Sweet Emotion was recorded on the wooden floor section of Studio A at Record Plant. Joe probably played through a Fender tweed, which we had at Record Plant. It didn't have to be 'tear your head off' loud to get an awesome sound out of it. He was in the studio with the amp. It was not double tracked.

I don't recall if I mixed that Roberta Flack track, but the reverb of choice, at Record Plant, was one of four plates that were available for Studio A and B.

Sorry to say, I didn't have anything to do with Lady Love Me (George Benson).
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Messina View Post

The lead on Sweet Emotion was recorded on the wooden floor section of Studio A at Record Plant. Joe probably played through a Fender tweed, which we had at Record Plant. It didn't have to be 'tear your head off' loud to get an awesome sound out of it. He was in the studio with the amp. It was not double tracked.
Can you elaborate on the wooden floor. Was the amp just placed on the floor and close mic'd or did you back off the amp in order to get some of the reflections from the floor?

thanks a lot
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbmusicandpost View Post
Can you elaborate on the wooden floor. Was the amp just placed on the floor and close mic'd or did you back off the amp in order to get some of the reflections from the floor?

thanks a lot
It was on the floor, and used 3 mics close to the amp. A 57 and 421 very close and a Sony C-37 or 38 back a little bit. There also may have been a U-87 back several feet for some ambience.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search