Login / Register

Mixing ITB(Protools) vs OTB (Console)
Subscribe
ScumBum
20th April 2012
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Mixing ITB(Protools) vs OTB (Console)

Besides workflow , what are your thoughts about mixing ITB with Pro Tools vs OTB on a console ? Do you hear any sonic benefits when using a console ?
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Besides workflow , what are your thoughts about mixing ITB with Pro Tools vs OTB on a console ? Do you hear any sonic benefits when using a console ?

Whenever it's in the budget, and practical, I prefer mixing OTB. That is not to say I don't enjoy mixing ITB. I have a private studio at home and I do most of my mixing here. I have some cool hardware (API EQ's, Compex stereo limiter, Transient Designer compressors and some effects boxes. I also have all the Universal Audio plugins. I'm always happy with the results.

When I can mix on a Neve, that is my preference. There is a definite difference in the sound. I would hope so, for something that costs so much.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Lives for gear

Hi Jay, not adding much, just wanted to say that it's nice to know that there are still some engineers like yourself out there, who can hear the difference between analog and digital. Personally, I say that digital is very convenient, but analog rules when it comes to sonics.
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Grin-go-go
Thank you for doing this Q&A Jay !

So in your home studio which tracks go OTB ? Do you have any photo of your home setup ?
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Q & A guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grin-go-go View Post
Thank you for doing this Q&A Jay !

So in your home studio which tracks go OTB ? Do you have any photo of your home setup ?
If I'm going to use some parallel limiting on drums, I use my Compex. I also use API 560's on guitars, bass and kick. I still like my Transient Designer compressors on kick and bass, but sometimes it comes in handy on toms and anything else I want to get some extreme attack or sustain.
I don't have a pic of my set up yet, but I'll put it on my website one of these days. jaymessina.com
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search