Street Fighting Man
Subscribe
rene-lemieux
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear addict

Street Fighting Man

Hello Phil

There's a ton of queations I could ask you about for many of the albums you were a part of, but I'm going to start with this one. My question is about the street fighting man session(s). Beggars Banquet is my favorite Stones album, and street fighting man is arguably my favorite tack on the record. Now, I read somewhere that the sound of the first guitar that comes in was recorded one Keith's portable recorder... I think it may have been wikipedia that I read that, and you can't always use it as a solid reference... Just would like to confirm that it was a cassette recorder, and also I would like to confirm that the sitar was recorded with the guitar, I think I also read that.

I've tried getting that exact sound before, using cheap cassette recorders (although not from the same era), and an EV 664 mic, but I can never achieve the same results... That street fighting man guitar sounds surreal, my attempts sounded as thin, but otherwise very awful and not what I was after... How much of that sound was from EQ ect in the mixing phase?

Also, that initial guitar would have to have been the first thing printed to tape... How problematic was overdubbing to it?

And is it just me, or is this particular song just a lot more 'distorted' than the rest of the tracks on beggars banquet? What is up with that? It, and Jumping Jack Flash are simmilar in that regard. Was there a deliberately different approach upon recording it? I've seen footage from the tracking sessions for Sympathy For the Devil, Charlie is in a little baffled section, and it all sounds very tight and dry and clean and beautiful. Go figure... Street Fighting Man sounds a lot different, the quality of the drums, and the entire recording is more like something off of a stones record from a few albums earlier... It's gritty and lo-fi (cassette guitar aside)... Was it even recorded in the same building?!?!

I'm kinda just blabbing, but its really one of my favorites, I get a kick out of asking you these little questions.

Thanks so much,
Rene
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

Waiting here with excited expectation!

Are you in the Goddard movie? Is that you moving mic's around the band..?

Whoo Whooo!
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear maniac

5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Special Guest

I believe it was one of the first Philips Cassette machines. The 'demo' guitar was copied to the 8 track machine....plenty of 'wow' and 'flutter'.
I don't think this caused any problems - band overdubbed to the 'demo'
Many tracks from those days had distortion - listen to Hendrix from '67/'68 - I have some multitracks and everything is slightly distorted - we are too clean today!
Street fighting man recorded during the same 6 week period - can't explain the difference in sound. Yes I am in One Plus One - the young guy in the yellow silk shirt - positioning mic's with Glyn Johns.
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill brown View Post
Yes I am in One Plus One - the young guy in the yellow silk shirt - positioning mic's with Glyn Johns.
I liked to think you were an actor, playing me....

...and then I woke up!

6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to juniorhifikit Send a message via Skype™ to juniorhifikit
Any memories of how the drums went down? It sounds like several passes...
12th May 2011
Old 12th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
Any memories of how the drums went down? It sounds like several passes...
nothing specific - Glynn's usual 2 X U67, AKG D12. Recorded under the 'drum booth' in Studio 1 and also overdubbed in the stairwell. Check out the film One Plus One for the visual experience.
16th May 2011
Old 16th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early21 View Post
Just for reference, Keith referred to the technique himself in this interview on a US NPR program "Fresh Air" while promoting his autobiography. Here is a transcript.
The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards Looks Back At 'Life' : NPR
Looking forward to what Mr. Brown can tell us about it.
Sorry I'm not too sure of the question - what technique?
17th May 2011
Old 17th May 2011
Gear addict

I think he meant the technique of recording the demo on a cassette!
17th May 2011
Old 17th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy View Post
I think he meant the technique of recording the demo on a cassette!
This must have been almost the first time a cassette demo was recorded to a professional machine. As its 1968 I think it must have been a Philips machine - I had one in 1970 with a built in mic. Excellent sound for the era.
Keith had recorded the main gtr at home and copied to Ampex 8 track. wow and flutter aside - a cool sound!
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search