Login / Register
 
talk talk/mark hollis/china crisis
Subscribe
britdick
Thread Starter
#1
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
  #1
Gear addict
 
britdick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 489

Thread Starter
britdick is offline
talk talk/mark hollis/china crisis

Some of my fav. albums of all time. i have read that the making of "Spirit of Eden" was an unbelievably stressful experience. Got any stories? It was clearly worth it. That record is perfect. How was it different from the making of Mark's solo outing ("Rights of Spring" one of my fav. songs of all time).

China Crisis was brilliant too.
Congrats on a magnificent career.
#2
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
  #2
Special Guest
 
phill brown's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 90

phill brown is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdick View Post
Some of my fav. albums of all time. i have read that the making of "Spirit of Eden" was an unbelievably stressful experience. Got any stories? It was clearly worth it. That record is perfect. How was it different from the making of Mark's solo outing ("Rights of Spring" one of my fav. songs of all time).

China Crisis was brilliant too.
Congrats on a magnificent career.
There are a couple of chapters in Are We Still Rolling? that cover the recording of Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock - and one on Mark Hollis solo album. Briefly SOE and Laughing Stock - each, a year in the studio, in the dark, no EQ, very little compression, recorded to 48 track analogue and a Mitsubishi 32 track digital. We also had another 5 X 24 track slave reels. Distant mic's, everything recorded seperately, many layered instruments. Mark's album in contrast was recorded with just 2 X Nuemann U49's set up in the front of the studio - we positioned musicians in the studio where we wanted them in the final stereo. Also recorded in daylight.
.
#3
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,281

-tc- is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill brown View Post
TMark's album in contrast was recorded with just 2 X Nuemann U49's set up in the front of the studio - we positioned musicians in the studio where we wanted them in the final stereo. Also recorded in daylight.
.
I so badly want to have the opportunity to record like this with musicians who are up to it.

I find the simplicity and finality of it fascinating in the digital-fix-it world I've grown up in. Do you have any general advice on going about this style of session? How long did it take to get people into the desired positions and for everyone to settle into the music?
britdick
Thread Starter
#4
7th May 2011
Old 7th May 2011
  #4
Gear addict
 
britdick's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 489

Thread Starter
britdick is offline
You leave me no choice...

It appears i shall be buying the book!
#5
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
  #5
Special Guest
 
phill brown's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 90

phill brown is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
I so badly want to have the opportunity to record like this with musicians who are up to it.

I find the simplicity and finality of it fascinating in the digital-fix-it world I've grown up in. Do you have any general advice on going about this style of session? How long did it take to get people into the desired positions and for everyone to settle into the music?
The most important thing working this way is the sound of the room - because that's what you are mic'ing up really. We checked out a few before we settled on MasterRock studio A. It took a couple of days to place everyone and get a 'balance'. Once happy we marked there names on the floor and recorded them one by one for Total Control. Music was all written out...so settled in pretty quickly.....
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Space Station / Q & A with engineer Phill Brown
3
decibike / Q & A with engineer Phill Brown
10
Djembe / So much gear, so little time!
33

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.