talk talk spirit of eden
Subscribe
decibike
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear maniac

talk talk spirit of eden

thanks for doing a Q & A mr Brown,

Could you share some stories on how Talk Talks brilliant album Spirit of Eden was made? Lots of room mics and bleed? What was the ratio between live takes of the band and overdubs ?
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear maniac

Hello Phil,
Thank you for doing the Q&A.

Was the legendary Roland Jupiter 8 the main keyboard/synth on this Talk Talk Album ?

All the best, James
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Just wanted to add that this and Laughingstock are my two alltime faves, and the two reasons that I make records for a living. Thank you Phill.

www.djamesgoodwin.com

**religion kills**

**Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it.** - Mikhail Bakunin
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

i heard this album for the first time last year and it's been on constantly ever since. it's truly amazing in every way.
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Special Guest

There are a couple of chapters on Talk Talk in Are We Still Rolling?.
Everything was recorded individually - no 'band' takes - all overdubbed - started with drums recorded to a human time keeper. Then months of overdubs. Distant positioning on microphones on most instruments. Drums - Neumann 'Head' mic just in front of the kit, and some contact mic's on toms. But most other instruments are 4 - 6 feet away from mics - on Laughing Stock the drum mic was a Nuemann U47 at about 28 feet from the kit. We worked in almost total darkness, running 5 X Studar 24 tracks machines, no EQ, little compression, unique experience....
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill brown View Post
Everything was recorded individually - no 'band' takes - all overdubbed -
Hello,

Was there any particular reason to work this way?

and did it present any problems in capturing the atmosphere of a band performance? - well obviously not because it sounds amazing!

and no eq!!

beautiful.
9th May 2011
Old 9th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibike View Post
thanks for doing a Q & A mr Brown,

Could you share some stories on how Talk Talks brilliant album Spirit of Eden was made? Lots of room mics and bleed? What was the ratio between live takes of the band and overdubs ?
sorry - thought I had replied. 2 chapters in Are We still Rolling? regarding the recording of SoE and Laughing Stock. Briefly - each; a year in the studio, in the dark, no EQ, little compression, 48 track analogue Studar A800, plus a Mitsubishi 32 track digital, plus 5 X slave analogue reels. Distant room mic's, everything overdubbed, no band tracks,
9th May 2011
Old 9th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraisdecygnes View Post
Hello Phil,
Thank you for doing the Q&A.

Was the legendary Roland Jupiter 8 the main keyboard/synth on this Talk Talk Album ?

All the best, James
No Synths or electric keyboards - its all Harmoniums, Hammond, Variaphon, Leslie, Shozygs.
9th May 2011
Old 9th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJamesGoody View Post
Just wanted to add that this and Laughingstock are my two alltime faves, and the two reasons that I make records for a living. Thank you Phill.
Thank you
9th May 2011
Old 9th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by polf View Post
Hello,

and did it present any problems in capturing the atmosphere of a band performance? - well obviously not because it sounds amazing!

and no eq!!

beautiful.
Read Are We still Rolling? for the details - but it came about from a comment I made = 11am November 1967 - and Lee's enjoyment of 'atmospheric lighting'. After a few weeks it became the norm - most musicians inspired - some put off - some freaked...
9th May 2011
Old 9th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by polf View Post
Hello,

and no eq!!

beautiful.
No plan - no demo's - no lyrics. We started with 8 drum patterns - and once mastered overdubbed everything else. We never discussed a way to work...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search