Login / Register

Koss
Subscribe
robertshaw
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Koss

Hi Phill, Thanks for doing a Q&A with us.

I'm curious what it was like working with Paul Kossoff ? and how you approached
capturing his sound on Back Street Crawler?

Thanks
Robert
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Special Guest

I knew Paul well and had been around him in the early Free days. A lovely sweet guy, quiet and shy in many ways. We recorded basic tracks at Island Basing Street Studio one - using my 'classic' rock set-up. AKG D12 on bass drum, AKG 224 on snare, Toms and Overheads Nuemann U87's. Bass D'I and AKG D12. Guitar AKG D20 and AKG C12A. Most guitar overdubs were done at Sawmills in Cornwall - blasting the Marshall cabs out into the valley around Fowey. We worked very fast in those days - I'm not sure there was much discussion - just set-up, get some sounds together and record.
7th May 2011
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear

Thanx Phil..... Koss was the man... was that around the time he started experimenting with using the Leslie cab for that latter sound he favoured?
10th May 2011
Old 10th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
Thanx Phil..... Koss was the man... was that around the time he started experimenting with using the Leslie cab for that latter sound he favoured?
...yes, due to the lack of a wide range of FX and pedals, we were always trying things out. Putting guitars and other instruments through a leslie had been going on since the late 1960's. Check out Murray Head 'Nigel lived'. Paul was just looking for some new textures - hence the out-doors approach.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search