Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
Deleted User
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Deleted User

All Along the Watchtower

Thanks for doing Q&A!

As an assistant on a Jimi Hendrix record, it must have been a special experience, particularly an engineering and production masterpiece!

I always found the band to sound almost at their best on this track, were they all captured live in the room with lead guitar dubbed?

What kind gear was used and how influential was Eddie Kramer? Were the band under the influence whilst tracking?

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom shared!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Gearslutz.com App
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

Hello Phil -

first&foremost, thanks a LOT for taking the time and sharing...well, whatever U'll choose to share - much appreciated, which goes to accompany a truckload of thumbs up and compliments for the many fine sounding, emotion conveying and often history making records U've helped come to existance.

"H" is for a question about the great (and sorely missed) Jimi Hendrix: he is often described as one of the nicest/most fun guys to work with and be around not only by myth making books etc, but by many of his co-music creators, aquaintances etc that I have had the pleasure to speak with/meet.
Is that your memory of him, too - and if so, why, or why not?

A totally tech-nerdy subquestion about "All Along The Watchtower": any idea or exact tech recollection of how the wonderful, "squishy" and fading then swelling instrumental section slide and then and wah wah solo guitar sound was recorded and obtained?
(I remeber Dave Stewart of Eurythmics raving abot that being his "Holy Grail" of mystery, unobtainable sound...and I quite agree!)

Thanks in advance and long may U rock - greets from the Adriatic,

A
F
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Special Guest

I explain a bit about Hendrix in Are We Still Rolling? When I worked with him in January 1968 he had not yet reached legendary status - successful though. The track All Along the Watchtower was recorded late at night after a party - Jimi played Bass, Dave Mason (Traffic) acoustic guitar, Mitch on drums. Recorded live to an Ampex 4 track machine. Electric guitars were done a few days later - original tracks 'bounced' to a further 4 track machine. I LOVE this track. Under the influence, of course. Eddie was a great engineer for Jimi, but it was Jimi with the ideas.
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Special Guest

Hendrix was very friendly but shy. I only spent 3 days with him, but he was a gentleman, and not on Acid.....
I'm sorry to say I have no recollections of the 'solo' section - other than recording quite a few electric guitars with an array of sounds and then 'cross-faded' and panned to 2 tracks. Sorry - its a long time ago!
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Gear Guru

First, it's an honor to have you hear, thanx so much for doing it.

What can you tell us about the amazing acoustic guitar that opens the track. That is a truly iconic sound. Is it heavily compressed?
9th May 2011
Old 9th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
First, it's an honor to have you hear, thanx so much for doing it.

What can you tell us about the amazing acoustic guitar that opens the track. That is a truly iconic sound. Is it heavily compressed?
Back to the situation of limitations. Can't remember the mic used on the acoustic but probably a U67. Through the 'home-made' desk compressor. Tracked. Copied to another machine....it sounds great but partly by luck - as a lot of the recordings in those days....
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search