Mark Hollis & Talk Talk
Space Station
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Lives for gear

Mark Hollis & Talk Talk

Thanks Phill for doing this!

Im sure you will get a few Talk Talk questions. Here's mine:

How does it feel to see the Talk Talk albums you engineered continually brought up as some of the best sounding recordings ever made?

What did you learn from those sessions, good or bad? I mean are there things you took from them that you still do now, or would never do now ..

And finally..do you reckon we'll ever hear a new Mark Hollis record?

Thanks, Phil.
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Gear addict

Like a lot of people, the Talk Talk records and the Mark Hollis record occupy a sacred space in my head. Could you tell us how the Mark Hollis record was recorded (piano first, piano and voice at same time, etc.) What mic's were used to capture these sounds. I really love the "free jazz" horn parts in the songs, were these improvised or written?

Thanks so much for being part of those magical records!
5th May 2011
Old 5th May 2011
Special Guest

It was a unique experience for me. Strangely I have had more offers of work because of Spirit of Eden than any other album I have been involved with - including The Wailers or Dido. It was seen as a big failure at the time, so great that over the past 12 years it has become a classic. I'm very proud of the album. Sessions have never been the same since. It was great to use all the mic'ing techniques I had been taught back at Olympic in 1967/68. There are a couple of chapters on the recording of Talk Talk in Are We Still Rolling?.
I don't think Mark will release another album - but you never know.....
9th May 2011
Old 9th May 2011
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
Like a lot of people, the Talk Talk records and the Mark Hollis record occupy a sacred space in my head. Could you tell us how the Mark Hollis record was recorded (piano first, piano and voice at same time, etc.) What mic's were used to capture these sounds. I really love the "free jazz" horn parts in the songs, were these improvised or written?

Thanks so much for being part of those magical records!
there's a chapter in Are We Still Rolling? - but briefly - Cross Cardioid pair of M49's at masterock studio one, through a Focusrite desk, people positioned in room where we wanted them in the final stereo. Everything overdubbed - everything written, sometimes Piano would start a track, sometimes guitar. usually Martin Ditcham on shaker..
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search