New Reply
Subscribe
Karmageddon
26th June 2009
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Head

Working with Alan Moulder?

Hey Butch!

Big big fan of your work as a musician and as a producer/engineer.

I am also a HUGE FAN of Alan Moulder and Flood. (I consider them to be one and the same. lol)

I was wondering...were you there for the mixing of Siamese Dream? and did you recommend Alan to the band? what is the story behind him mixing the album? did he have any creative input into the mixing? And do you have any future to plans to work with either him or Flood again?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our "nerdy" questions!
29th June 2009
Old 29th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmageddon View Post
Hey Butch!

Big big fan of your work as a musician and as a producer/engineer.

I am also a HUGE FAN of Alan Moulder and Flood. (I consider them to be one and the same. lol)

I was wondering...were you there for the mixing of Siamese Dream? and did you recommend Alan to the band? what is the story behind him mixing the album? did he have any creative input into the mixing? And do you have any future to plans to work with either him or Flood again?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our "nerdy" questions!
Billy and I called Alan to mix Siamese Dream because of his work with My Bloody Valentine. We really admired his ability to make a very dense mix sound very focused.

Alan is awesome, a proper English Gentleman, with great ears and LOTS of patience!

He's going to be mixing in LA in July, I hope to hook up with him for some ice cold frosties and lots of gossip.
Karmageddon
29th June 2009
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
Billy and I called Alan to mix Siamese Dream because of his work with My Bloody Valentine. We really admired his ability to make a very dense mix sound very focused.

Alan is awesome, a proper English Gentleman, with great ears and LOTS of patience!

He's going to be mixing in LA in July, I hope to hook up with him for some ice cold frosties and lots of gossip.
Awesome to hear! yes, Alan (and Flood as well) are two of my biggest inspirations when it comes to mixing. Their styles match each other and they both seem to have a very "fluid" sound.

Did you have any input on the mixing process of Siamese Dream? Was there anything that was "pre-mixed" as they say, or was it all Alan's decisions or did Billy play a big part as well?

Thanks for your time. and looking to hear any future projects you may have with Alan.
11th July 2009
Old 11th July 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmageddon View Post
Awesome to hear! yes, Alan (and Flood as well) are two of my biggest inspirations when it comes to mixing. Their styles match each other and they both seem to have a very "fluid" sound.

Did you have any input on the mixing process of Siamese Dream? Was there anything that was "pre-mixed" as they say, or was it all Alan's decisions or did Billy play a big part as well?

Thanks for your time. and looking to hear any future projects you may have with Alan.
Alan, Billy and I were all at the mix. Alan did all the hard work, as he was in the control room 12 hours a day, Billy and I would float in and out when he needed feedback.
All three of us had opinions on the mix, but for the most part, we were on the same page.
Some of the sections of songs had parts that were pre-mixed, mostly when there were a lot of guitar parts like the ebows sections...also the strings.
I had done fairly extensive ruff mixes that were a good quide as to where the levels should be.

Alan was very creative with space in the mixes in the quieter sections, and really able to focus the denser sections through eq, compression, rides, and panning.

He was only supposed to be with us for 2 weeks, and we kidnapped him for 6 weeks!
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear interested

Guys,

Your posts made for some amazing reading! Butch, you are truly genius! As is Flood.. About Alan Moulder: Do you know if he generally sticks to major label stuff or does he ever slum it with smaller studios and artists?? Does he have an agent who books his stuff or is he contactable himself?? I am only new to this forum and I'm sure I may be being a bit forward with this line of questioning. If so, I do apologise!

Keep up the amazing work!!
6th February 2010
Old 6th February 2010
Gear addict

New Against Me! "White Crosses"

Just got the finished master approved of Against Me's "White Crosses"....Alan Moulder mixed, Billy Bush engineered, and the band wrote some killer new songs. I think it
sounds amazing! Well done gentleman!
BV
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search