Nevermind - unfinished songs
staticwhitesound
20th June 2009
Old 20th June 2009
Gear addict

Nevermind - unfinished songs

I was fairly obsessed with Nirvana years ago and had a collection of dubbed tapes of their unreleased songs, years before the box set came out to expose better quality versions of them and more. They had a lot of great songs that never got the full studio treatment.

My question is, had you heard them and felt strongly about any of them? There were a couple songs started/demo'd on the Nevermind session that didn't get completed - 'Old Age,' for example - which wound up on the box set. And I always loved the song 'In His Hands' among many others... Were any of the songs that didn't get finished (or maybe even didn't get started) songs that you'd really wanted to help them get recorded? Just curious if any of those never recorded 'lost songs,' demos or b-sides ever stood out to you in particular.

Thanks!
21st June 2009
Old 21st June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticwhitesound View Post
I was fairly obsessed with Nirvana years ago and had a collection of dubbed tapes of their unreleased songs, years before the box set came out to expose better quality versions of them and more. They had a lot of great songs that never got the full studio treatment.

My question is, had you heard them and felt strongly about any of them? There were a couple songs started/demo'd on the Nevermind session that didn't get completed - 'Old Age,' for example - which wound up on the box set. And I always loved the song 'In His Hands' among many others... Were any of the songs that didn't get finished (or maybe even didn't get started) songs that you'd really wanted to help them get recorded? Just curious if any of those never recorded 'lost songs,' demos or b-sides ever stood out to you in particular.

Thanks!
i think most of the unfinished songs that had ruff vocals have come out.
They did have this super catchy song that didn't have any lyrics, I encouraged Kurt to come up with something, but he thought it sounded "too much like REM"...
29th June 2009
Old 29th June 2009
Gear interested

Butch, do you remember whether Song in D was recorded at all during the Nevermind sessions? Is it possible that an unfinished instrumental take is somewhere in the vaults?

Also, if you were to hear the song now, all these years later, would you recognize it?
29th June 2009
Old 29th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotpoop View Post
Butch, do you remember whether Song in D was recorded at all during the Nevermind sessions? Is it possible that an unfinished instrumental take is somewhere in the vaults?

Also, if you were to hear the song now, all these years later, would you recognize it?
I seem to remember that we cut a basic track for Song In D, but there's no vocals.
I would recognize it, it had a jangly, ringy riff in the verse.
30th June 2009
Old 30th June 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
I seem to remember that we cut a basic track for Song In D, but there's no vocals.
I would recognize it, it had a jangly, ringy riff in the verse.

This is one of the greatest mysteries of the recording session that has puzzled many Nirvana fans. Some have thought it was an early All Apologies but I understand this isn't the case.

One song that does stick out is a song called "Talk To Me" that was played live a few times on the Nevermind tour and also made an appearance on the DVD for the Nirvana box-set. That song has really jangly riff that is really poppy.
30th June 2009
Old 30th June 2009
Gear interested

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search