Gear maniac

Evolution and / or enlightenment?

28th July 2009
Old 28th July 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereophonic View Post
Hi Butch,

During your career, have you ever had a "ah-ha" moment where your mixes jumped to a new level? If so, what was the change?

Much respect,
Timothy Stollenwerk

I think the first "ah-ha" moment I had was when I realized if I had made a bad recording, I couldn't fix it in the mix. It made me pay more attention to how things sound at the initial point of attack, so to speak. I like to commit to eq on certain things, compression when needed, and efx when they sound right, so when you start mixing the song, you should be able to balance the faders and make the song sound good without any eq or processing. When you get the song in focus, then you can start hyping it, and it was recorded well, you shouldn't have to do too much!
30th July 2009
Old 30th July 2009
Lives for gear

That's awesome. It's great when something is recorded well, you go to mix it and it's basically done. Makes it so much more enjoyable!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search