KingUgly
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
Gear addict

Akai S1000

Butch,

You've mentioned the Akai sampler several times. You even mentioned running vocals through one. Was this to tweak backing vocals or ? I've never used one so I'm curious as to what you loved about it so much. It sounds like it was an integral part of your workflow.

Thanks for sharing.
2nd August 2009
Old 2nd August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingUgly View Post
Butch,

You've mentioned the Akai sampler several times. You even mentioned running vocals through one. Was this to tweak backing vocals or ? I've never used one so I'm curious as to what you loved about it so much. It sounds like it was an integral part of your workflow.

Thanks for sharing.
I bought the Akai S 1000 after hearing Public Enemy's albums, I wanted to use a sample in making music. I started using it for remixes in the mid 90's, then went crazy with it on the first Garbage record. Probably 60-70% of the tracks went through the Akai, to manipulate the sound.
When I listen to the 1st Garbage album, it sounds kinda weird, but what I hear is the sound of the Akai s 1000.
I bought a Kurzweil k2500 for the 2nd album, but we started moving into Pro Tools on that album so the samplers started to fall out of favor.

The only thing i didn't like about the Akai was the unbalanced to balanced issues....but it had a sound!
5th August 2009
Old 5th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
I bought the Akai S 1000 after hearing Public Enemy's albums, I wanted to use a sample in making music. I started using it for remixes in the mid 90's, then went crazy with it on the first Garbage record. Probably 60-70% of the tracks went through the Akai, to manipulate the sound.
When I listen to the 1st Garbage album, it sounds kinda weird, but what I hear is the sound of the Akai s 1000.
I bought a Kurzweil k2500 for the 2nd album, but we started moving into Pro Tools on that album so the samplers started to fall out of favor.

The only thing i didn't like about the Akai was the unbalanced to balanced issues....but it had a sound!
FYI:
any editing I did on Nevermind was done with the Akai...

"hello hello how low"
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search