Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

This thread made me realize that I don't own Version 2.0

Off to the music store I go!

24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Gear interested

Dear Mr. Vig,

Is there anything in the Garbage "vault" in the way of unreleased songs, mixes, outtakes, demos, etc. that may see the light of day? Many artists are now doing this, like Smashing Pumpkins & Neil Young, who are opening up their archives. Smashing Pumpkins are doing something really neat with theirs, by making the archive material part of a fan club only type deal, that way they aren't spending the massive amounts of money to release it to the general public who may not wish to buy it but rather just to their devoted fans. I know that Garbage fans would absolutely love to hear this stuff if it exists.
25th June 2009
Old 25th June 2009
Gear interested

Hello there Mr Vig!

Before i start i must say what an honor it is to be blessed by your music over the past 9 years (i discovered Garbage when i was 10!) and must congratulate you on your career.

Apart from the amazing songwriting, the technical qualities to your music has always fascinated me and i find myself hearing new sounds even after so many years of listening. The complexity of the music has always made me wonder how you started a song from scratch and how you would find certain sounds and beats that would work well within. Especially the overall intricacy sound of Version 2.0, which i find to be flawless.

Did you or other members of the group have an overall idea of what each song would sound like before production? Or was it a case of having a sound in mind that you felt would work within a certain track and built up upon that?

I would also like to comment on the various genres of sound found in the Garbage songs. Each song has its own feeling which i find in today's music hard to find. The songs in your records each have their own sound, yet still fit within the whole album's genre.

From the heavy sound of 'Bad Boyfriend' and 'Hammering In My Head' to the moody blues of 'The Trick Is To Keep Breathing', how important is it as a producer to include a wide range of genres within your music?

Thanks for reading
25th June 2009
Old 25th June 2009
Gear interested

---

Last edited by bad_boyfriend; 26th June 2009 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Already asked question.
25th June 2009
Old 25th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
Dear Mr. Vig,

Is there anything in the Garbage "vault" in the way of unreleased songs, mixes, outtakes, demos, etc. that may see the light of day? Many artists are now doing this, like Smashing Pumpkins & Neil Young, who are opening up their archives. Smashing Pumpkins are doing something really neat with theirs, by making the archive material part of a fan club only type deal, that way they aren't spending the massive amounts of money to release it to the general public who may not wish to buy it but rather just to their devoted fans. I know that Garbage fans would absolutely love to hear this stuff if it exists.
There's a few songs we never released, but I'm not sure they will ever see the light of day, as we never really finished them.

We have a ton of b-sides, and might release of boxed set someday..although most hardcore Garbage fans probably have all those songs!
26th June 2009
Old 26th June 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
There's a few songs we never released, but I'm not sure they will ever see the light of day, as we never really finished them.

We have a ton of b-sides, and might release of boxed set someday..although most hardcore Garbage fans probably have all those songs!

We may have the songs, but a box set will most definitely be on all of our purchase lists!
26th June 2009
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

not if we aren't pirates we wont have those songs....

release it :P
26th June 2009
Old 26th June 2009
Gear nut

Butch - it's an honour. Your influence on my own music and indeed my entire life has been incalculable.

On the subject of unreleased songs, I would like to ask you if Garbage ever made a studio recording of "Supernatural", the Vic Chessnut cover? There is a reasonably quality live version floating around which is just breathtakingly beautiful, but for all my (not inconsiderable) searching I wasn't able to find a better recording of it.
27th June 2009
Old 27th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikk.exe View Post
Butch - it's an honour. Your influence on my own music and indeed my entire life has been incalculable.

On the subject of unreleased songs, I would like to ask you if Garbage ever made a studio recording of "Supernatural", the Vic Chessnut cover? There is a reasonably quality live version floating around which is just breathtakingly beautiful, but for all my (not inconsiderable) searching I wasn't able to find a better recording of it.
There is no studio version of Supernatural...kind of wish we had recorded it, it's such a beautiful song.

Vic is an amazing writer. We did cover his song Kick My Ass.

The first night we met Shirl...Duke, Steve and I went to see Vic Chestnutt and Angelfish open for Live at the Metro in Chicago. After the gig we went to some bar nearby to chat, and Shirley accidently tipped Vic out of his wheelchair onto the street...too many cocktails!
27th June 2009
Old 27th June 2009
Lives for gear

Butch ...on the album "Bleed Like Me", can you give some hints as to how you use the H8000 (or whatever Eventide you might have used) ?

thanx!
28th June 2009
Old 28th June 2009
Gear interested

first of all...thanks so much for this Butch...Ive been such a huge fan for a long time (was even pres. of the aussie version of the 'queen helen' garbage fan club ...) and I appreciate you giving up your personal time to interact with us!

secondly...in respone to your earlier post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post

If memory serves me...and some days it doesn't .... Wasn't Garbage due to release a b sides album directly after v 2.0...but it got canned for legal reasons??
If that was the case...would there be any such red tape now preventing such a release?...or did the signing to Geffen mitigate the legal issues?
28th June 2009
Old 28th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikiriki View Post
first of all...thanks so much for this Butch...Ive been such a huge fan for a long time (was even pres. of the aussie version of the 'queen helen' garbage fan club ...) and I appreciate you giving up your personal time to interact with us!

secondly...in respone to your earlier post:

If memory serves me...and some days it doesn't .... Wasn't Garbage due to release a b sides album directly after v 2.0...but it got canned for legal reasons??
If that was the case...would there be any such red tape now preventing such a release?...or did the signing to Geffen mitigate the legal issues?
The original plan was to release a compilation of b-sides after V 2.0, but it got too complicated from a legal standpoint....and a lot of the conflict came from being signed to different labels, sometimes they had different agendas.
30th June 2009
Old 30th June 2009
Gear interested

Hi Mr. Vig

First of all, I'm sorry, my english insn't very strong yet, but at least I'm trying...
I think that you (both, as a producer/musician and the band) are the best of the 90's and early 2000, it's a shame that you aren't currently working on an album but I still have hope... Once that was said, I have 2 questions, first, can you remember all the samples from other songs in garbage tracks? `cause i love it, I love "train in vain" in stupid girl, or pretenders and beach boys in special and push it...
And my other question is, which one is the song with most layers that garbage ever made? I once heard that it was push it...
Thanks a lot, and again, you're an amazing producer!
30th June 2009
Old 30th June 2009
Gear addict

also Butch, for live performances of Garbage, like with Cherry Lips, did you guys use back tracking samples (played on an iPod or DAT or whatever), and if so what exactly was on the samples... also did you play electronic drums, or triggered drums for live stuff? or was it all acoustic?
6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyshit View Post
First of all, I'm sorry, my english insn't very strong yet, but at least I'm trying...
I think that you (both, as a producer/musician and the band) are the best of the 90's and early 2000, it's a shame that you aren't currently working on an album but I still have hope... Once that was said, I have 2 questions, first, can you remember all the samples from other songs in garbage tracks? `cause i love it, I love "train in vain" in stupid girl, or pretenders and beach boys in special and push it...
And my other question is, which one is the song with most layers that garbage ever made? I once heard that it was push it...
Thanks a lot, and again, you're an amazing producer!
I think Push It had the most tracks on a Garbage song. Hammering In My Head had a lot also...
6th July 2009
Old 6th July 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic5 View Post
also Butch, for live performances of Garbage, like with Cherry Lips, did you guys use back tracking samples (played on an iPod or DAT or whatever), and if so what exactly was on the samples... also did you play electronic drums, or triggered drums for live stuff? or was it all acoustic?
I play a DW kit, and trigger samples, loops and efx from a Ddrum.
We took kick and snare samples from each song so I could make the live drum sound very similar to the album. We use a Tascam sampler (I think? Billy B would know this) for backing tracks, which are loops and percussion, sequencers, keyboard pads, and sub bass. We never used the backing tracks for vocals or the main parts of songs, only to fill in the sound.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search