underproduced versus very produced
New Reply
Subscribe
decibike
15th June 2009
Old 15th June 2009
Gear maniac

underproduced versus very produced

Hi Butch, thanks for doing this. Big fan for a long time!

I love both your very produced (Garbage) and underproduced albums (sonic youth - experimental jetset, trash and no star )

What's your view on "limiting" your options during the recording of an album? (Track count, tracking days, live band vs. overdubs, FX etc) Is it always up to the band or do you have a strong opinion on how "produced" that particular album should sound?
13th August 2009
Old 13th August 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by decibike View Post
Hi Butch, thanks for doing this. Big fan for a long time!

I love both your very produced (Garbage) and underproduced albums (sonic youth - experimental jetset, trash and no star )

What's your view on "limiting" your options during the recording of an album? (Track count, tracking days, live band vs. overdubs, FX etc) Is it always up to the band or do you have a strong opinion on how "produced" that particular album should sound?
I don't think you should limit yourself either way, if it's "produced or underproduced".
I think if you get a sensibility of how an artist should sound, you will start to make decisions regarding the production that almost become second nature. If it's a band that can utilize a lot of overdubs or production tricks, I will just start suggesting ideas. But if it's a band like that's more primal sounding, I don't really think about productions options that wouldn't be true to who they are.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search