Cheap, sh!tty, but awesome
Entrainer
15th June 2009
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track

Cheap, sh!tty, but awesome

Thanks for this. This is awesome. Out of every guest mod that's been on here, yours are the productions that have inspired me the most. Now if they can only get Flood as well : )

I like the deliberate contrast you have in some of your productions of acoustic/electronic and clean/dirty. That's a quality that I think defined a lot of great 90s productions.

On gearslutz, there's always talk of expensive effects, eqs, and compressors. What are some of the cheap or obscure processors/tools that you find to have a nice flavor?
30th June 2009
Old 30th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Thanks for this. This is awesome. Out of every guest mod that's been on here, yours are the productions that have inspired me the most. Now if they can only get Flood as well : )

I like the deliberate contrast you have in some of your productions of acoustic/electronic and clean/dirty. That's a quality that I think defined a lot of great 90s productions.

On gearslutz, there's always talk of expensive effects, eqs, and compressors. What are some of the cheap or obscure processors/tools that you find to have a nice flavor?
I bought my Roger Meyer compressor for about $500, it really pumps the drums like crazy.

Old (and new) stomp boxes are good on all sorts of things, especially vocals and drums.
We have this Nady guitar pedal that we used on a lot of Garbage songs.

I've got an old Radio Shack mic that sounds great on vocals every now and then, it's sounds heavily filtered.

AKG make a good mic C3000, large diaphragm, you might be able to get it on Ebay for a couple hundred bucks.

The Audio Technica 4047 is also good and not very expensive.

When we started Smart Studios, I found a LOT of cool gear at garage sales, especially schools and churches, they always seem to have mics and PA equipment buried in dust in the closet! I remember we got out first dbx 160 for about $50 at a garage sale!
Riv
30th June 2009
Old 30th June 2009
Riv
Gear maniac

Hey Butch -

About a year I picked up an RM57 that I've been in love with. It's being restored right now and I'm cleaning up a few things.

Have you compared the RM57 and the RM58? I'm updating a few things on the 57 that were added on the 58 - they seem to make it more useful.

Riv (Tim from Smart)
30th June 2009
Old 30th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riv View Post
Hey Butch -

About a year I picked up an RM57 that I've been in love with. It's being restored right now and I'm cleaning up a few things.

Have you compared the RM57 and the RM58? I'm updating a few things on the 57 that were added on the 58 - they seem to make it more useful.

Riv (Tim from Smart)
Tim, they both sound very similar, the compression is very hyped, and I think there are some distortion harmonics. The "Rocky Meyer" won't work on everything, but when you want that extra wild factor, it's great.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search