New Reply
Subscribe
Henchman
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Whatever happened to:

That revolutionary secret piece of gear that someone posted about here months ago?
If I remember correctly, it was one of the employees of the company who was developing this revolutionary piece of gear, that came here and pissed everyone off.

Did we ever find out what this life changing piece of gear was?
Jax
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

I think I remember who you mean.

We're not allowed to type the name of the "company" that was going to "redefine" us. Here I'll try:

**** (dee-ess-too-you... hey was it a de-esser?? LOL)

Nope. Administrator ban.

Lmao.

IOW, nothing happened to it/him/whatever the **** that was.
Henchman
9th December 2006
Old 9th December 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I think I remember who you mean.

We're not allowed to type the name of the "company" that was going to "redefine" us. Here I'll try:

**** (dee-ess-too-you... hey was it a de-esser?? LOL)

Nope. Administrator ban.

Lmao.

IOW, nothing happened to it/him/whatever the **** that was.
I feel so re-defined.
12th December 2006
Old 12th December 2006
Lives for gear

My Studio

Send a message via AIM to slaves666
can anyone elaborate?
12th December 2006
Old 12th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
can anyone elaborate?
Picture the most over-the-top ridiculous marketing hype you've ever read about a soon-to-be-released product. Now picture that hype without any mention of what the product actually IS or actually DOES - only a bunch of meaningless melodramatic jibberjabber. Now picture it written by someone with the writing skills and grammatical style of a precocious nine year old child.

Folks around here gave the guy some grief by telling him to post some actual info about whatever the hell he was trying to peddle, and he got very defensive. That's when it got entertaining. I thought it was fun while it lasted.

DP
12th December 2006
Old 12th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Picture the most over-the-top ridiculous marketing hype you've ever read about a soon-to-be-released product.
Wait a second... that would be one of these.

That doesn't have anything to do with audio

I am curious to know what you're really talking about though.
---
c
12th December 2006
Old 12th December 2006

They are running out of time, only 3 weeks to 2007!

http://www. d s 2 u .net/

(Take out the spaces between the letters d s 2 u)

Visit Buzz Audio - Facebook
12th December 2006
Old 12th December 2006

I've been working on it, and I'm pretty sure I'm prepared now.. so....

narco
12th December 2006
Old 12th December 2006
Lives for gear

It's a 2U SDD.

Not a revolutionary product to us gear headz but I wouldn’t mind .02 milliseconds access time to my data. A native system would have no problem handling huge track counts at high sample rates.
Must cost an arm and a leg though.
12th December 2006
Old 12th December 2006
Lives for gear

From The WHOIS database

Registrant:
****\Definitive Signal LLC.
P.O. Box 1
Clearlake Park, California 95424
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: ****.NET
Created on: 06-Feb-06
Expires on: 06-Feb-07
Last Updated on: 06-Feb-06

Administrative Contact:
Cambra, Casey hawkat****@aol.com
P.O. Box 1
United States

Technical Contact:
Cambra, Casey hawkat****@aol.com
P.O. Box 1
United States

Domain servers in listed order:
PARK3.SECURESERVER.NET
PARK4.SECURESERVER.NET

==========

SURPLUS GEAR SALE
12th December 2006
Old 12th December 2006
Lives for gear

I don't think their product saw the light of day.
He did send me info after the fact and did not at any time tell me that it was confidential or resticted in any way. So here goes - as per e-mails recieved from "Hawk"

The last time I heard from him was around the 21st Dec 2005 after I dissed him for asking me to be the head of, as in ****/Definitive Signal Africa, for ****/Definitive Signal, LLC.

Quote:

If it's ok with you I'll answer this question first?
"And most important to me PRICE?"
Though instead of me answering it I'll simply quote the senior partner of the CPA firm said to me:
"Hawk, with those kinda of speeds, no bean counting even has to count the beans."

And, yes, it's "rack-mountable and QUIET!"

As for specs: think "2X to 25X more rapid then any other computer system". How's that for processing speed?

Here are some specs for you:

I/Os Per Second

Bandwidth
3000 MB per second

Latency
Less than 14 microseconds

Fibre Channel Connection
4-Gigabit Fibre Channel (2-Gigabit capable)
2 ports standard; up to 8 ports available
Supports point-to-point, arbitrated loop, and switched fabric topologies
Interoperable with Fibre Channel Host Bus Adaptors, switches, and operating systems

I have one more Beta test that needs to be completed before we can actually give an actual month in 2006 that we can actually launch.

Regards,

Hawk

AND

Quote:

Special Note:

Definitive SignalTM

Access Times =

Command Overhead Time + Seek Time + Settle Time + Latency

The Problem of I/O Wait Time

Often, additional processing power alone will do little or nothing to improve performance. This is because the processor, no matter how fast, finds itself constantly waiting on mechanical storage devices for its data. While every other component in the “data chain” moves in terms of computation times and the raw speed of electricity through a circuit, hard drives move mechanically, relying on physical movement around a magnetic platter to access information.

In the last twenty years, processor speeds have increased at a geometric rate. At the same time, however, conventional storage access times have only improved marginally. The result is a massive performance gap, felt most painfully by database servers, which typically carry out far more I/O transactions than other systems. Super fast processors and massive amounts of bandwidth are often wasted as storage devices take several milliseconds just to access the requested data.

"When servers wait on storage, users wait on servers."

This is I/O wait time.

Solid state disks are designed to solve the problem of I/O wait time by offering 250x faster access times (.02 milliseconds instead of 5) and 80x more I/O transactions per second (400,000 instead of 5000) than RAID.

Traditional Approaches

Decreasing application performance under heavy user loads is not a new story for most enterprises. As the number of concurrent users increases, the response time to users also increases. The knee jerk reaction to this problem is to look at two likely sources for database performance problems:

• Server and processor performance. One of the first things that most IT shops do when performance wanes is to add processors to servers or add servers to server farms.

• SQL Statements. Enterprises invest millions of dollars squeezing every bit of efficiency out of their SQL statements. The software tools that assist programmers with the assessment of their SQL statements can cost tens of thousands of dollars. The personnel required for painstakingly evaluating and iterating the code costs much more.

In many cases, these likely sources for database performance problems masquerade the true cause of poor database performance: the gap between processor performance and storage performance. Adding servers and processors will have a minimal impact on database performance and will compound the resources wasted as even more processing power waits on the same slow storage. Tuning SQL can result in performance improvements, but even the best SQL cannot make up for poor storage I/O. In many cases, features that rely heavily on disk I/O cannot be supported by applications. In particular, programs that result in large queries and that return large data sets are often removed from applications in order to protect application performance.

When system administrators look to storage they frequently try three different approaches to resolving performance problems:

• Increase the number of disks. Adding disks to JBOD or RAID is one way to improve storage performance. By increasing the number of disks, the I/O from a database can be spread across more physical devices. As with the other approaches identified, this has a trivial impact on decreasing the bottleneck.

• Move the most frequently accessed files to their own disk. This approach will deliver the best I/O available from a single disk drive. As is frequently pointed out, the I/O capability of a single hard disk drive is very limited. At best, a single disk drive can provide 300 I/Os per second. Fast solid state disk is capable of providing 400,000 I/Os per second.

• Implement RAID. A common approach is to move from a JBOD (just a bunch of disks) implementation to RAID. RAID systems frequently offer improved performance by placing a cached controller in front of the disk drives and by striping storage across multiple disks. The move to RAID will provide additional performance, particularly in instances where a large amount of cacheis used.

Introduction to Solid State Disks

Strictly, a solid state disk (or SSD) is any storage device that does not rely on storage devices that use RAM as the primary storage media. Data is stored directly on RAM chips and accessed from them. This generally results in storage speeds far greater than is even theoretically possible with conventional, magnetic storage devices. To fully make use of this speed, SSDs typically connect to servers or networks through multiple high speed channels.

What separates a solid state disk from conventional memory is non-volatility. An SSD typically includes internal batteries and backup disks so that, in the event of power loss or shutdown, the batteries keep the unit powered long enough for data to be written onto backup disks. Because of this, SSDs offer the raw speed of system memory without the disadvantage of losing data when powered down. Because of the lack of mechanical devices in the main data chain, SSDs typically have lower maintenance costs and higher reliability (including a higher MTBF) then conventional storage.

"When servers wait on storage, users wait on servers"
"It's What's Inside That Defines You"TM

Regards,

Hawk
ExeVP of Strategic Planning/
Special Assistant to the President
****/Definitive Signal, LLC
Hawkat****@aol.com
Direct line: 206-963-4295
Attached Images

14th December 2006
Old 14th December 2006
Gear addict

If I gather this correctly, Hawk is speaking of hard drives whith no moving parts, and are therefore solid state. This is truly revolutionary, and could speed up performance dramatically. It's the next step in storage. I just don't know if anyone has gotten it to work yet.
14th December 2006
Old 14th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrough View Post
If I gather this correctly, Hawk is speaking of hard drives whith no moving parts, and are therefore solid state. This is truly revolutionary, and could speed up performance dramatically. It's the next step in storage. I just don't know if anyone has gotten it to work yet.
I've seen systems that have the OS and whatnot on RAM discs for a few years now. The issues I saw were very limited size and they were like a 5k option on the computers I saw them on.

I don't know if anyone has gotten the technology to scale or be reliable. I don't know about you guys but my storage system costs a hell of a lot more than my DAW, and it's a home-brew. I'm not sure I'd be too thrilled about having it based on something that wasn't redundant or was susceptible to some sort of common interference I couldn't control (I don't know diddly about RAM, just saying I trust what I have which is redundant RAID with deltas backed up to tape and DVD every week, stored many miles apart, the whole thing backed up monthly)
14th December 2006
Old 14th December 2006
Gear Guru

I think it is a new talent plug in.

With this plug in it doesn't matter if the band sucks, the singer sucks, the songwriting sucks, etc. The software is guaranteed to make every song rock and definately put some Grammys on the mantle.

I listened hard but could not see
Life's tempo change out and inside me

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search