Login / Register
 
HoRNet releases Magnus a 2 stage brickwall limiter
New Reply
Subscribe
HoRNet
Thread Starter
#1
20th May 2014
Old 20th May 2014
  #1
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Siena, Italy
Posts: 251

Thread Starter
HoRNet is offline
Software HoRNet releases Magnus a 2 stage brickwall limiter



HoRNet has released Magnus, a 2 stages brickwall limiter.
Its purpose is to make your tracks the loudest possible. To achieve this the limiting process is divided in two steps: the first is a clipper, hard or soft, that let you cut away those small peaks that nobody is going to hear, the second is a limiter with a fixed threshold of -0.2dB.

Simply use the two big knobs to increase the level until you are getting the right amount of gain reduction by any of the two stages. Do you have a very percussive track? Use more clipper to cut those sharp transient and let the limiter work less. A soft song? Abuse of the limiter and don't use the clipper.

The limiter in Magnus is a quite sophisticated tool, the attack is instantaneous and the release is made by two different stages, the first one is very short and the second is longer so that the plugin is able to recover fast from sudden peaks but able to keep a sustained level to avoid obvious pumping.
Going into technical details, the release time set with the release knob is the time of the longer envelope, the short one is exactly one fourth, so that it will always musically match the tempo of the song.
If you are unsure, use the Auto Release button that sync the release time with the song tempo reducing pumping as much as possible also when generous gain reduction is going on.

Magnus is available on www.hornetplugins.com for €19,99 for 32- and 64-bit Mac OS X and Windows in VST2, VST3, AU and RTAS plug-in formats.
__________________
My Audio plugins HoRNet Audio plugins
On Facebook
On Twitter
Quote
1
#2
20th May 2014
Old 20th May 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Canada/Mexico
Posts: 2,313

Solar is offline
Now this looks really interesting @Hornet. Two stage Brickwall... I'm loving already what Magnus seems to be able to do. Can't wait to give it a try & hear it in action. Are u planning to share a little video in action of this plug? Either way , can't wait to get to studio tomorrow :-)

Thanks
HoRNet
Thread Starter
#3
20th May 2014
Old 20th May 2014
  #3
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Siena, Italy
Posts: 251

Thread Starter
HoRNet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Now this looks really interesting @Hornet. Two stage Brickwall... I'm loving already what Magnus seems to be able to do. Can't wait to give it a try & hear it in action. Are u planning to share a little video in action of this plug? Either way , can't wait to get to studio tomorrow :-)

Thanks
I'm going to make the video today, so probably it will be online tomorrow!

Saverio
Quote
1
#4
20th May 2014
Old 20th May 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,633

Beatworld is online now
After some early reservations, I've think this can work well on the stereo bus.

The combo clipper/limiter produces results similar to a compressor.
It isn't necessarily transparent but it produces a vibe I like and really clamps down on transients.

I've been much happier with it when not pushing it too hard.
If really pushed it lets up to almost 2db over the factory set threshold of -0.2db in my experience.

Took me a little while to get used to the meters.
Soft clip getting used all the time.

Thanks Hornet
__________________
27" iMac 3.1Ghz i5 16GB : OSX 10.9.4 : Logic 9.1.8 + 10.0.7 : Duet 2 : PMC TB2S-AII
http://beatworld.com.au
#5
20th May 2014
Old 20th May 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,217

Musician is offline
The GUI sucks, too dark yellowish. I'd like more contrast so its all better readible. Thats the first thing when launched.
Now for the sound ...
#6
20th May 2014
Old 20th May 2014
  #6
Gear addict
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 392

Ardis is offline
Be very interested to hear. They make great stuff!
#7
21st May 2014
Old 21st May 2014
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,633

Beatworld is online now
Hello Saverio

I noticed there is a typo in the manual.

"Around the Limiter Level Knob...." on the left hand side of the manual should say "Around the Clipper Level Knob..."

Given that typo please confirm that, as per the manual, each segment on the gain reduction meter for the Clipper is 0.1db.
I just want to be sure given that each segment on the Limiter reduction meter is 1db according to the manual.

In other words, are the gain reduction meter segments for Clipper and Limiter really different ?

Thanks
cheers
HoRNet
Thread Starter
#8
21st May 2014
Old 21st May 2014
  #8
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Siena, Italy
Posts: 251

Thread Starter
HoRNet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Hello Saverio

I noticed there is a typo in the manual.

"Around the Limiter Level Knob...." on the left hand side of the manual should say "Around the Clipper Level Knob..."

Given that typo please confirm that, as per the manual, each segment on the gain reduction meter for the Clipper is 0.1db.
I just want to be sure given that each segment on the Limiter reduction meter is 1db according to the manual.

In other words, are the gain reduction meter segments for Clipper and Limiter really different ?

Thanks
cheers
Thank you for spotting it, we are changing the word as I'm writing.

Regarding your question, yes, each segment on the clipper is 0.1dB and the limiter 1dB, i think that using 1db/segment for the clipper is too much since just clipping by 1dB constantly produces audible distortion and the purpose if the clipper is just remove fast transient so that the limiter doesn't get pushed too much!

Saverio
#9
21st May 2014
Old 21st May 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,633

Beatworld is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
Thank you for spotting it, we are changing the word as I'm writing.

Regarding your question, yes, each segment on the clipper is 0.1dB and the limiter 1dB, i think that using 1db/segment for the clipper is too much since just clipping by 1dB constantly produces audible distortion and the purpose if the clipper is just remove fast transient so that the limiter doesn't get pushed too much!

Saverio
Ok thanks Saverio.

By the way the Clipper responds I thought it was 0.1db but I just wanted to be 100% certain
#10
21st May 2014
Old 21st May 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 987

marchhare is offline
Bought this yesterday, I think I like it, gotta get the hang of it more. It's making a weird oscillating noise in Pro Tools though, not crazy about that part.
#11
21st May 2014
Old 21st May 2014
  #11
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 12

tioconhuevos is offline
No output control for lowering the ceilling under 0 dbfs?
#12
21st May 2014
Old 21st May 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 987

marchhare is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tioconhuevos View Post
No output control for lowering the ceilling under 0 dbfs?
The output is fixed at .2dbfs, that's with oversampling disengaged, with oversampling on, it clips like crazy. So far, I'm really liking this thing, gets
pretty loud and doesn't lose low end or width. Needs some work though, the
meter is buggy and the oversampling sounds weird. An output control would be
nice, too.
#13
21st May 2014
Old 21st May 2014
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,633

Beatworld is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
The output is fixed at .2dbfs, that's with oversampling disengaged, with oversampling on, it clips like crazy. So far, I'm really liking this thing, gets
pretty loud and doesn't lose low end or width. Needs some work though, the
meter is buggy and the oversampling sounds weird. An output control would be
nice, too.
The output is fixed at -0.2

Yep the meters need some tuning.
I think the Gain Reduction meters would be better if they had a much faster release, plus peak Hold. I've sent Saverio my thoughts on that issue and he has been very responsive to the concept.

Can you provide more detail about what sounds weird to you with over sampling on?

Cheers
#14
22nd May 2014
Old 22nd May 2014
  #14
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 987

marchhare is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
The output is fixed at -0.2
Sorry, forgot the minus symbol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Can you provide more detail about what sounds weird to you with I've over sampling on?

Cheers
I've only had it for five minutes, but the oversampling seemed to drastically change how much limiting was happening and darken things up a lot, as well as shooting past the ceiling. I can't think of one plug in I own where I prefer oversampling to no oversampling, this one included. The perceived loudness with Magnus is really good, more like Ozone or DSM as opposed to Elephant or Fabfilter Pro-L, which always sound quieter to me at the same RMS levels.
#15
22nd May 2014
Old 22nd May 2014
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,633

Beatworld is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
I've only had it for five minutes, but the oversampling seemed to drastically change how much limiting was happening and darken things up a lot, as well as shooting past the ceiling. I can't think of one plug in I own where I prefer oversampling to no oversampling
I see, thanks.
HoRNet
Thread Starter
#16
22nd May 2014
Old 22nd May 2014
  #16
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Siena, Italy
Posts: 251

Thread Starter
HoRNet is offline
Hi, an output control is on my to-do list, i didn't think at first it was needed but some people are asking for it so i think i will add it...somewhere

Regarding the oversampling, what you are seeing here is intersample peaks being generated, like the reconstruction filter would do on you D/A converter. I have to admit that 4x oversample is more accurate since it's the minimum recommended for limiting intersample peaks, 2x it's prone to errors since it's not accurate enough. Both 2x and off options are there for music mastering "as loud as possible" while the 4x option is more useful if you make broadcast and post since you have more stringent limits on intersample peaks due to the compression in today's digital broadcast.

Saverio
#17
22nd May 2014
Old 22nd May 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 987

marchhare is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
Hi, an output control is on my to-do list, i didn't think at first it was needed but some people are asking for it so i think i will add it...somewhere

Regarding the oversampling, what you are seeing here is intersample peaks being generated, like the reconstruction filter would do on you D/A converter. I have to admit that 4x oversample is more accurate since it's the minimum recommended for limiting intersample peaks, 2x it's prone to errors since it's not accurate enough. Both 2x and off options are there for music mastering "as loud as possible" while the 4x option is more useful if you make broadcast and post since you have more stringent limits on intersample peaks due to the compression in today's digital broadcast.

Saverio
Output control would be fantastic, thanks! Great plug. So far, I like oversample off and release as close to zero as possible.
#18
22nd May 2014
Old 22nd May 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 
EL_HERALDO's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SPAIN
Posts: 758

EL_HERALDO is offline
Yes, +1 to output control.
#19
22nd May 2014
Old 22nd May 2014
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,633

Beatworld is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
I've only had it for five minutes, but the oversampling seemed to drastically change how much limiting was happening and darken things up a lot, as well as shooting past the ceiling. I can't think of one plug in I own where I prefer oversampling to no oversampling, this one included.
Working on a light poppy mix with many acoustic instruments and female vox.
The sound certainly does take a turn for the worse with 4x OS on.
The level actually drops slightly at 4x and it suddenly clips much more, with distortion.
Best results are OS off so I do see your point march hare

I think your comment Saverio that 4x may be best used for broadcast and post may be right, although I doubt it is a good idea to introduce distortion in those jobs.
Maybe you need to have another look at how the 4x OS is being implemented.
2x seems ok.
HoRNet
Thread Starter
#20
22nd May 2014
Old 22nd May 2014
  #20
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Siena, Italy
Posts: 251

Thread Starter
HoRNet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Working on a light poppy mix with many acoustic instruments and female vox.
The sound certainly does take a turn for the worse with 4x OS on.
The level actually drops slightly at 4x and it suddenly clips much more, with distortion.
Best results are OS off so I do see your point march hare

I think your comment Saverio that 4x may be best used for broadcast and post may be right, although I doubt it is a good idea to introduce distortion in those jobs.
Maybe you need to have another look at how the 4x OS is being implemented.
2x seems ok.
Hi I'll have a look thank you for the insight! But keep in mind that with higher oversample rates you will always get more distortion out of the clipper stage since high intersample peaks will be created by the upsampling stage
#21
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
  #21
Lives for gear
 
EL_HERALDO's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SPAIN
Posts: 758

EL_HERALDO is offline
Hey! Just got the v1.1.0 update, all seems to work fine, and really great the new output slider!!!
__________________
____________________________________________
"YOU MAKE MOVIES, I MAKE THE DOCUMENTARIES"
Quote
1
#22
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,633

Beatworld is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO View Post
Hey! Just got the v1.1.0 update, all seems to work fine, and really great the new output slider!!!
Yes nice work Saverio.
All the new features are great.
The meters are much more useful now.
I still prefer oversampling off though.
Thanks very much.
HoRNet
Thread Starter
#23
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
  #23
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Siena, Italy
Posts: 251

Thread Starter
HoRNet is offline
Ok you anticipated me but for those who care here is what changed:

- New fast gain reduction meters with peak hold.
- Output level control.
- Gain readout on clipper and limiter knobs.
- Improved oversampling algorithm.
- Fixes for crashes on some hosts.

The update is free for all the existing owners of the plugin, if you haven't received yours, drop me a line: support for our audio unit and vst plugins - HoRNet Plugins
Quote
1
#24
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
  #24
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Moscow
Posts: 196

goshalev is offline
AAX Please!
#25
14th June 2014
Old 14th June 2014
  #25
Lives for gear
 
EL_HERALDO's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SPAIN
Posts: 758

EL_HERALDO is offline
Here is the new pretty face

One bug (very little) I have detected : You need to press play at least one time once you have loaded the plugin to be able to enter values and the plugin be able to show them.
Attached Thumbnails
HoRNet releases Magnus a 2 stage brickwall limiter-captura-de-pantalla-2014-06-14-la-s-02.51.32.png  
#26
14th June 2014
Old 14th June 2014
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,633

Beatworld is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO View Post
Here is the new pretty face

One bug (very little) I have detected : You need to press play at least one time once you have loaded the plugin to be able to enter values and the plugin be able to show them.
I can confirm that here too.
HoRNet
Thread Starter
#27
14th June 2014
Old 14th June 2014
  #27
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Siena, Italy
Posts: 251

Thread Starter
HoRNet is offline
Hi guys, what DAW are you using ? I ask so i can check out this bug!

Saverio
#28
14th June 2014
Old 14th June 2014
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,633

Beatworld is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
Hi guys, what DAW are you using ? I ask so i can check out this bug!

Saverio
Logic 10.0.7
OSX 10.9.3
Den
#29
14th June 2014
Old 14th June 2014
  #29
Den
Lives for gear
 
Den's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,256

Den is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Logic 10.0.7
OSX 10.9.3
Hi
Do you think this soft clipper could be better option from JST-Clip ?
I didn't tried JST.
This one sounds pretty transparent to me..
#30
14th June 2014
Old 14th June 2014
  #30
Lives for gear
 
EL_HERALDO's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SPAIN
Posts: 758

EL_HERALDO is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
Hi guys, what DAW are you using ? I ask so i can check out this bug!

Saverio
OSX 10.9.3

The problem appears in every DAW ... when I use it in Logic 10.0.7 and in PT 11.1.3 wrapping the AU/vst with DDMF Metaplugin or the VST with Blue Cats Patchwork.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.