NAMM 2014: Kush Audio UBK Pusher
New Reply
Subscribe
joe_04_04
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Software NAMM 2014: Kush Audio UBK Pusher

"Pusher is a sound sculptor's dream, an artist's tool that bends the rules of physics to generate genuinely new musical distortions and transient colorations. It models the unique sound-bending properties of 4 magnetized metal cores and, through the use of controls the world has never seen or heard before, lets you creatively shape their harmonic complexity and transient character. The result is an unprecedented palette of colors from the classic to the cutting edge.

Pusher then feeds that texturized signal into what is easily the punchiest and wildest UBK compressor to date, and packs the whole control set into an unabashedly forward-thinking GUI that picks up where the UBK-1 left off.

Pusher also sports Kush’s new Custom Preset Managment system and a novel ‘Cheat Mode’ which labels & explains every one of this beasts controls. But the fun with this one is in the exploring... stay tuned!"

The House of Kush
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2014: Kush Audio UBK Pusher-image_6577.jpg   NAMM 2014: Kush Audio UBK Pusher-image_8909.jpg  
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/My%...My%20Snare.zip
My Personal Hip-Hop Group, Don't take it seriously, it isn't meant to be serious:
https://www.facebook.com/706Official
https://soundcloud.com/706official
A few of my mixes, from years ago.. to sorta recent:
https://soundcloud.com/corner-production-studios

Last edited by The Press Desk; 10th February 2014 at 07:26 PM..
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Looks cool. Although I gotta say, I forgot I own the UBK plugins (UBK1 and Clariphonic)... been on PT11 for so long... Greg any chance for AAX 64 in 2014
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Looks like the alien version of ubk-1, can't w8 to try it out

/Jon
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

Soooo...How soon is soon?
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

Greg's your pusher man

Boy, that is one BOLD GUI - but I can't wait - using UBK-1 and Clariphonic plugs a lot these days when mixing (also the Electra hardware - it all sounds great)

bring back thumbsup

Sincerely Yours,

Orion L. Paradis
joe_04_04
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

It's currently in beta
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear addict

Dude

17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Damn, that looks SICK! And having owned Greg's other plugs for while, I have no doubt it will sound great as well. Sign me up....
www.strandedonaplanet.com
www.facebook.com/strandedonaplanet
www.twitter.com/strandedplanet
http://www.soundcloud.com/strandedonaplanet
Watch our studio bio video here and get to know us a bit - http://youtu.be/3hb_Zi_zry4
See our new video for "The Top Shelf" for GC Pro here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyylfNLrUJ0
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear nut

Woahf. The announcement sounds even bolder. Can't wait to hear those magnetized metal cores hiding behind the marbled camouflage-star-gate-ancient-egypt-alien-technology-graffiti-mural GUI

Dimmy
joe_04_04
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

This has got me so stoked... I know its probably not as complicated as it looks.. but it def. has me intrigued. Like its going to lift my audio.. straight up... and out of this world. To Vega or Andromeda. jkjk, but I do love the futuristic look.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Awesome! I own both his plugs and you all know how awesome they are.
Very interested - having just got satin I'm sated for the moment (what a rad plugin that is) but canna wait for this bad boy - demos soon I hope?
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

So the big knob on the left is called "Flux Drive," and if I had to guess, I would say this is similar to UBK1s headroom control, because it says it drives all 4 cores at once, much like how the headroom control drove all 3 engines in the UBK1 (sat, comp, density).

Steel, Cobalt, Iron, Nickel - Different frequencies?! not sure..
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Head

Maybe similar to the transformer selection of Shadow Hills? ....on crack..?!
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear nut

woah! wow, interesting. that is one of the ugliest looking things i ever seen, but who cares? i am dying to hear what this is about. love all Kush, software and what i've heard hardware too!!
nice find, cant wait...

u know what? lookin at it again, i was a little harsh with it,
there's something kinda Gaudi or Watts Tower about it...
glad it doesn't look like nothing else in plugins.

****edit 2
also i've got an Atlas Juggernaut preamp, and it flips both input and output transformers separately between iron and nickel, and man.... i don't even have the best ears in the world, by a longshot, but that option really makes a difference in sound, the input option especially. I hear a bigger difference in that than in the tranny option on the UBK Fatso. if this does anything like what that iron/nickel switch does on the Atlas, I'm gonna be real excited to have that in plugin form.

it's hard to describe cuz i'm always flipping between the two when i'm tracking but one softens the sound more than the other and seems to spread the energy out more broadly, like with a butter knife. but that sounds more exaggerated than what it really sounds like, it's subtle still, but it's a definite difference.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethroxxmeowserz View Post
woah! wow, interesting. that is one of the ugliest looking things i ever seen, but who cares?
I do care.
I'm sure this thing sounds great, but i couldn't work with a plugin this ugly.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to ~ufo~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ufo~
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
I do care.
Just look at it like a guitar that's so crazily uncool that it's kinda cool.
Our Facebook
Our LinkedIn
Our MySpace
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear nut

Quote:
I do care.
u know i would appreciate if plugins started coming with default "no skins".

like not just even talking directly about this plugin, i think i kinda like the way it looks in a funny way...
but it'd be nice to just have nothing there sometimes. it's more the fake metal looking ones that actually bug me for some reason.
end of day, it doesn't matter but those make me cringe a little. this one just has style, a funny kind of style of it's own i think.

i know Logic has the ability to bypass skins and just work by sliders, but i don't like that becuz it throws off the physical relationship of one knob to another that i'm used to. just a whole list of parameters is overwhelming to me so i've never liked that Logic (I think it's Logic) option of viewing things.

I'd just like a pure black or anycolored skin to bypass whatever design might be on the plugin.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Availability?
Any chance to join the beta?
I'm really interested.
Techno focus.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Head

Wow. Looks great.

I am waiting for KUSH Plugins to correspond to AAX 64bit of Win&Mac....
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear maniac

Maybe it looks great for some, but workflow and user experience are way more important to me.
As much as I love UBK's products, this one is a step back imo. All I see is a cluttered interface with way too much lost space and real small fiddly knobs.
I would hate working with this and hope there will be an alternative, more streamlined easy-on-the-eye and thus more intuitive version.
I'm sure it will sound absolutely fabulous, I trust UBK with the sound part
joe_04_04
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not sure why people are complaining so much about the GUI... is it because its just NOT modeling the oldest pieces of dirt around.. and that it is something that hasn't been seen before?

In my eyes... the only GUIs I hate are the cheap looking ones. The ones where they skimped, the object sizes are not proportional, too cheesy. This GUI doesn't feel cheap to me, it just feels exotic.. which is sort of refreshing compared to the old, dilapidated GUIs modeling their counterparts. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice, dusty scratchy GUI too, but I dont see much wrong with this. There is a lot of empty space on it, but it leaves room for the labels to come up during "cheat mode," which I'm going to have to have on for a little bit of time anyway, until I get used to it (assuming itll be good enough for me to want it immediately like UBK1 and Clari).

Anyway...
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do care.
The Gearslut Quote of 2014
By the way....who cares about the sound..long as it looks good right?
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I'm not sure why people are complaining so much about the GUI... is it because its just NOT modeling the oldest pieces of dirt around.. and that it is something that hasn't been seen before?
I'm not asking for a 'modelling' type of interface.
But I do like UBK-1 and Clariphonic's layout a lot: big knobs that are easy to 'grab' for the important stuff and a few smaller switches for extra settings. Everything nicely in one clear design.
Okay this one also has a few bigger rotaries but it's a lot more 'messy' and 'unclear'. Also, I don't like chaotic looking plugs, makes me tired for some reason
Valhalla Vintage Verb or some Fabfilter plugs are also a good example of a modern, but intuitive interfaces imo. A lot of controls, but still very easy to see which is what.
Or Klanghelm DC8C in 'easy' mode!

Quote:
There is a lot of empty space on it, but it leaves room for the labels to come up during "cheat mode," which I'm going to have to have on for a little bit of time anyway
That exactly proves my point.
I don't want a 'cheat' mode on my plugins, everything should be ready to go.
That what makes a fast and intuitive workflow imo and that's why I don't like this GUI.

Hey I don't want to criticize anyone's opinion so if you like it I'm happy too as that proves we're all still human Different opinions make a brighter world!
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

looks cool. Hope greg has tuned the ITB saturation so it sounds good...
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear nut

Quote:

In my eyes... the only GUIs I hate are the cheap looking ones. The ones where they skimped, the object sizes are not proportional, too cheesy. This GUI doesn't feel cheap to me, it just feels exotic.. which is sort of refreshing compared to the old, dilapidated GUIs modeling their counterparts. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice, dusty scratchy GUI too, but I dont see much wrong with this. There is a lot of empty space on it, but it leaves room for the labels to come up during "cheat mode," which I'm going to have to have on for a little bit of time anyway, until I get used to it (assuming itll be good enough for me to want it immediately like UBK1 and Clari).

Anyway...
what i like about it is the unlabeling of things and the funny style or whatever of the print on it.

I like things that, over time, begin to worm their way into an association to u. and this is really where GUI and physical object 'GUI' become important. in the way that we end up relating to it and we associate with it. really important thing, and nothing to ever dismiss as superficial, i think.

but UBK seems to get the world and how physical objects can end up very much influencing how we use things. this is why digital music recording and plugins are sometimes such a breakthru. there's no way on hardware you could do what u can with DMG's EQuilibrium.

that's one of the rad things about digital is this freedom from representation that's allowed.

this doesn't seem like that kind of plugin, this actually seems like something that you could imagine existing in hardware, but who know? I don't know the details on it for sure.

but my favorite EQ's, even if i've only encountered them in the plugin domain, are ones like the Trident A-Range. where after u use it for a while, u aren't really thinking in terms of frequency range, or even in terms of an EQ graph for what you're doing, but u develop a physical association with the controls, and u just start feeling like this knob here, it does this...
and this other knob, does this....

i love that about an EQ layout, and that's why the A-Range plugin by Softube (UAD is just as good, but not native) is one of my favorite. i look at a typical parametric EQ and there's something oppressive about it. it's asking me for all these variables to input and sometimes i just wish i could grab shit and naturally alter the soundscape with it.

at the same time, i hate when things are dumbed down like some of the Waves one shots, or Izotope plug ins. I don't mean that, I don't like that at all. I just like new models that impose a new and unassociated context to work in, that don't make u have to think like a parametric EQ.

Clariphonic does a great job of this, it's something that only exists in it's own universe, and making up EQ graphs is pointless for it. or maybe not, but it's sure not time efficient. just turn the knobs and see what they do.

That's what i really love about UBK's approach to things, at least the approach that I read off some of their decisions. I like the way this one looks and what it promises, looks really interesting.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Kush in pt 11

Just host them in blue cat audio mb. Comp or patch work fine !
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear nut

please no more ilok.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
I'm not asking for a 'modelling' type of interface.
But I do like UBK-1 and Clariphonic's layout a lot: big knobs that are easy to 'grab' for the important stuff and a few smaller switches for extra settings. Everything nicely in one clear design.
Okay this one also has a few bigger rotaries but it's a lot more 'messy' and 'unclear'. Also, I don't like chaotic looking plugs, makes me tired for some reason
Valhalla Vintage Verb or some Fabfilter plugs are also a good example of a modern, but intuitive interfaces imo. A lot of controls, but still very easy to see which is what.
Or Klanghelm DC8C in 'easy' mode!

That exactly proves my point.
I don't want a 'cheat' mode on my plugins, everything should be ready to go.
That what makes a fast and intuitive workflow imo and that's why I don't like this GUI.

Hey I don't want to criticize anyone's opinion so if you like it I'm happy too as that proves we're all still human Different opinions make a brighter world!
yes, but they gotta be intuitively somehow making sense with us after u hear what the unit does. I think it's one of the probably trickiest and most unacknowledged elements of making gear, whether it's hardware or software.

it's really important but it's a hard thing to quantify and talk about in relation to someone else's experience.

like for me the Klanghelm compressor, is really offputting, for some reason, when i tried it, it didn't make any sense to me. Not saying it's a bad design, but making the point how subjective things are from person to person and how those kind of final decisions must be some of the hardest and actually most effectual decisions that a developer has to make.

It's becuz of stuff like this that our ears go in the hallway and have a cigarette. it's the difference of how you present things and depending on the individual user, what that means, that is going to influence an individual user's experience with your product. pretty crazy, but true.

like i have a more simple and physical mind about making music, and when i record, i'm either taping me or a friend's band so i'm allowed to have certain irrational beliefs and such. you know? but i really like the way i interact with guitar pedals. those are set up for dummies and they do things in such a way that often incorporates two or more parameters in one knob. and this is just the internal design of the plug, cuz u can't have little knobs for everything, it's a goddam guitar pedal. There's just no space for it.

So each pedal sometimes railroads u into certain ways of producing the best sound out of it, it's like an aesthetic parameter that comes along with the pedal. And that's what I mean by great shit. that's when u hit it, when u figure out a way to combine things in the perfect way, in relation to most users probably experience with it.

This is why the Empirical Labs Fatso, even, was such a great unit. it imposed limitations and restrictions, but also allowed for enough variety and also just plain sounded good enough to appeal to most people.

But people are yearning for restrictions. no one wants to be in a world free of them. everyone might say they do, but this is not the truth. this is not human nature.

i've heard people say they wish they could take a patch cord from their brain to the hard drive. you know? I can't imagine a more depressing thing in the world than that.... that's not something to abstractly wish for... sounds terrible to me. we would have the worst music ever as soon as that happens.

this is what language is for. basically and most truly. this is what makes communication fun and interesting, is how we each communicate the same thought. we need restrictions, we need things to come up against and butt heads with, this is the nature of creating things this whole time, and i think it's almost impossible to imagine what creating anything would be if we were 'freed' of it. so yeah, i agree with u about that.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear nut

and i know in some ways, that makes no sense...

the picture of the compressor u posted seems like it should make sense to everyone.
i just don't like using it. that's what it comes down to and god knows how much to attribute to the sound or how much to the GUI or whatever,
but it sounds great, i just hate using it.
maybe that's irrational, but guess what? people are irrational. u gotta account for that.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear nut

like funny little things, like to me, Input is all the way left. Or in some way, it's denoted as being a bigger thing. but to hide your input in the mess of the actual body, doesn't work for me.

I know it's a sidechain and it's affecting the sound pre-input. i don't care. i like. for my working use of a plug, input is all the way left, i'm not worried about linear gain staging when i'm using things.

similar thing with Mix and Output. Output is all the way right to me. regardless of whether Mix is technically post Output.
i don't care about htis. and it's not just the ordering of knobs, it's the layout...

it's just like all these things are happening in a list format. that's not the way they happen to me in my head when i'm messing with things.
I'm not thinking anything crazy, but to see it in a list is somehow contrary and makes me feel sad about what i'm doing. maybe this is just me, maybe it is. and if it is, then of course they should just disregard me. I'm not saying make all gear so it makes most sense to me from now on. I'm saying that there's a huge range of how to set things up,
besides just the way that you, yourself, see things most rationally organized. that's all. cuz it seems like you were saying.... "Look, how clean?! Why are not all things so Clean as This...?"

and that's just a funny and unrealistic way of looking at things.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search