HoRNet releases SW34EQ analog modeled equalizer
New Reply
Subscribe
HoRNet
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Gear maniac

Software HoRNet releases SW34EQ analog modeled equalizer

The HoRNet SW34EQ is an equalizer coming straight from the 80s. It's the digital version of the EQ found in an American console and it features the typical analog EQ sound and controls.

This plugin is specifically modeled after one channel of this console used in the main room of Virus Studio, here in Siena, Italy. This EQ is very smooth and gentle, both in the EQ shapes (bells and shelves) and it's almost perfect for general tone shaping, especially the low shelf gives weight to the sound without pumping it too much.

You also get an high-pass filter at 40Hz with 18dB/oct slope that can be activated even if the rest of the EQ is not.

The SW34EQ does not just model the EQ curves but also the saturation characteristics of the original device, we are talking about an 80s console here so there are op-amp everywhere in the signal path and the saturation mainly produces even harmonics, but as you crank the gain a lot of odd harmonics jumps out. Of course the hiss is modeled too and the whole emulation can be deactivated.

We also tried to emulate the workflow of the EQ and we put the frequency and gain knob on the same axis, the only indication of the current frequency for every band is on the outer of the knob, while there is no explicit gain indication for the gain knob, you only know that at maximum you have +/- 15dB of gain or reduction. This is for hardcore mixers who use their ears and nothing else to get the job done.

SW34EQ is available now in VST, VST3, Audio Units and RTAS format on both Mac OS X (10.5 intel and later) and Windows (XP and later)

Try it out on Audio unit and VST plugins for audio - HoRNet Plugins
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

bass boost under 50hz does not work?
HoRNet
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
bass boost under 50hz does not work?
it works here:

did you engaged the low cut filter? it works at 40Hz, this may explain it!

Saverio
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Tried this last night over headphones and it sounded very nice!
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds very nice indeed. A bit hard to "grab" the outer (Hz) knobs though.

Why does the manual say "British"?
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidar View Post
Sounds very nice indeed. A bit hard to "grab" the outer (Hz) knobs though.
Yeah, nice sounding EQ. I found by clicking on the area just outside the black Hz ring it was quite easy to change the frequency. I think the knob extends beyond what you actually see.
HoRNet
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidar View Post

Why does the manual say "British"?
It's a typo, I've fixed it was wrong the first time i wrote it i handed it over to my girlfriend (who is the one making user manuals) and i forgot to give her the fixed version. Thank you for pointing out, we'll update the manual!

Saverio
HoRNet
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
Yeah, nice sounding EQ. I found by clicking on the area just outside the black Hz ring it was quite easy to change the frequency. I think the knob extends beyond what you actually see.
yes it's a little wider exactly to help you grab it, me and Alessandro (the owner of the console modeled) wanted to try to replicate the same feeling of the console so we chosen to put both knobs on the same axis...i knew this could be hard at first, but after a couple of mixes using this EQ i found it was just fine and i got used to the knobs quite fast, so i think it's not a big issue

Saverio
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Shocked to see a 5 segment meter when you have such metering chops. I would like to see a mini VU/Peak option on there.

But you are designer, and as you say, use your ears!
HoRNet
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Shocked to see a 5 segment meter when you have such metering chops. I would like to see a mini VU/Peak option on there.

But you are designer, and as you say, use your ears!
Well that meter is a little add on, since there is saturation going on i had to provide some way to see when you are "in the red" and since we wanted to replicate the feeling of using the original EQ we put the same 5 segments meter of the original input stage of the console, if you want more accurate metering just leave the input knob to 0 and put the VU Meter in front of it! VU Meter vst plugin with automatic gain adjustment - HoRNet Plugins this is exactly what i did when making some test mixes using this EQ

Saverio
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
Well that meter is a little add on, since there is saturation going on i had to provide some way to see when you are "in the red" and since we wanted to replicate the feeling of using the original EQ we put the same 5 segments meter of the original input stage of the console, if you want more accurate metering just leave the input knob to 0 and put the VU Meter in front of it! VU Meter vst plugin with automatic gain adjustment - HoRNet Plugins this is exactly what i did when making some test mixes using this EQ

Saverio
I hope that at some point we all advance to not have to do these things. . It is not an analog device, and omitting convenience does not make it more analog. I don't mean it as insult.
HoRNet
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I hope that at some point we all advance to not have to do these things. . It is not an analog device, and omitting convenience does not make it more analog. I don't mean it as insult.
I think you are right and wrong at the same time. better metering can give you a better idea of what is going on and take more accurate decisions, but on the other hand part of the feeling of an analog device is the fact that sometimes what you see is not what is actually happening and you have to guess, that's where the "art" part of the mixing process kicks in and different devices with different interfaces leads to different results even if the inner workings are similar, I think this is because the way we interact with a device has an impact on the final result. That's why i thought it was better to keep the same 5 segments meter, this gave you the same uncertainty between the green/yellow/red area that you have on the original unit.

Saverio
12th December 2013
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
I think you are right and wrong at the same time. better metering can give you a better idea of what is going on and take more accurate decisions, but on the other hand part of the feeling of an analog device is the fact that sometimes what you see is not what is actually happening and you have to guess, that's where the "art" part of the mixing process kicks in and different devices with different interfaces leads to different results even if the inner workings are similar, I think this is because the way we interact with a device has an impact on the final result. That's why i thought it was better to keep the same 5 segments meter, this gave you the same uncertainty between the green/yellow/red area that you have on the original unit.

Saverio
Fair enough.
allow me this.

Quote:
this gave you the same uncertainty between the green/yellow/red area that you have on the original unit.
the same limitations. For better or worse. If given the option, I would use both in different sitautions.
13th December 2013
Old 13th December 2013
Gear addict

I personally would prefer not to use any self imposed limitations of "analogue" in digital domain.

I think the sound of this plug-in is really good but why not to offer a full blown metering and perhaps few different gain-operational modes? -18, -12, -6 and 0...For example SDDR, Slate's and many others offer that.
13th December 2013
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Tried the demo and I'm really liking this. Very nice job!
13th December 2013
Old 13th December 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkom View Post
Tried the demo and I'm really liking this. Very nice job!
me too!
13th December 2013
Old 13th December 2013
Gear addict

Seem to be noisy, like -53, -55 db on an empty track...
HoRNet
13th December 2013
Old 13th December 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
Seem to be noisy, like -53, -55 db on an empty track...
Yes, the original unit is a little noisy but i got wrong the measurement the first time and it should be about 10dB quieter, i'm preparing a new update for next week or something like that

Saverio
13th December 2013
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

What would be cool - maybe - if you could measure more channels of the board and say randomize each instance or let you choose between a couple of channels. Like what Waves did with their console thing. Might just be a placebo thing though .
14th December 2013
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

The control mapping needs to be tightened up, but whatever.

I've been using Satson a lot, but this is good for when I need a little extra. EQ is easy to park, the I/O sounds good, efficient. Nice mid/highs, very nice place.
15th December 2013
Old 15th December 2013
Gear addict

Checekd teh de-esser of the company. Very good!!! congratulations. If the EQ is as good as teh de-esser I will buy both.
HoRNet
19th December 2013
Old 19th December 2013
Gear maniac

Hi I'm writing just to let you know that we have released version 1.0.1 that includes:

- reduced noise level
- improved knobs handling
- a more efficient saturation algorithm

The update is free for current owners, if you haven't received the download link, get in touch with us Audio unit and VST plugins for audio - HoRNet Plugins
20th December 2013
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the update.

Folks try this one. It's really great. Very good for quick fixes (mixes and such...)
20th December 2013
Old 20th December 2013
Gear addict

Wow tried it and was really impressed. I allready have many eqs but this one sounds so cool on my voice, so natural (for lack of better words) I got to have it. One suggestion is that the buttons should change color for the status activated or not activated. Now it is just whithe or grey. Did I mention that the de-esser is also superb I like way more then my eiosis E2 deesser, simple, easy, effective and natural sounding de-esser.
20th December 2013
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

bought it. I would wait for full channel strip with preamp/gate/EQ/comp and we can sell those expansive ssl replicas
HoRNet
21st December 2013
Old 21st December 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
bought it. I would wait for full channel strip with preamp/gate/EQ/comp and we can sell those expansive ssl replicas
ahahah it's a shame that the original board doesn't have any compressor or gate to model :D so it's a little bit hard to model them

Have you tried our ChannelStrip?
ChannelStrip MK2 vst plugin with equalizer and compressor - HoRNet Plugins

Saverio
21st December 2013
Old 21st December 2013
Gear addict

Tried the channelstrip before. It sounded good but couldn't get along with the design and layout, sorry.

This EQ, on the other hand, is a no-brainer!
21st December 2013
Old 21st December 2013
Lives for gear

Absolutely stunning and beautiful! Another no-brainer by Hor-Net, indeed!!
23rd December 2013
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Tried the channelstrip before. It sounded good but couldn't get along with the design and layout, sorry.

This EQ, on the other hand, is a no-brainer!
I tried it but the qui is not for me too
23rd December 2013
Old 23rd December 2013
Lives for gear

Bought a couple days ago, but still waiting for the download email. How long did you guys wait? Looking forward to trying this.

https://soundcloud.com/visceral
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search