AMS Neve - Genesys Black
New Reply
Subscribe
The Press Desk
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
News Desk Editor

Hardware AMS Neve - Genesys Black

The Neve Genesys Black is a digitally controlled analogue recording console with total integration with the studio environment and the digital audio workstations of your choice.
Including legendary microphone preamplifiers and highly revered analogue circuit design, the extensive digital control and connectivity puts Genesys Black at the creative heart of your studio. Genesys Black offers 8 channels of mic/line preamps, 16-channels DAW/Tape monitoring, hands-on DAW control for Pro Tools, Nuendo and more, 8 channels of Neve 4-band EQ, 8 channels of Neve VCA dynamics and A/D/D/A conversion via MADI, AES and FireWire formats.

A central touch screen, 8 auxiliary buses, 8 group buses, 2 main outputs, 4 effects returns, comprehensive metering, 5.1 monitoring, 2 cue mixes, talkback services and an integrated footprint with internal power supply provides all the power you need.

More details as i get them....

Link : The Beginning. Revisited. | AMS Neve
AMS Neve | Genesys

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 29th October 2013 at 01:04 PM..
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Interesting.

18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Gorgeous. Finally someone did a console with full keyboard and monitor placement. At least I hope that display can be switched to display your DAW.
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

$39,999??
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear nut

My Studio

expandable ?
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Super Moderator

My Studio

18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quite sexy.

Interesting that the screen shows PT running on Windows, but the keyboard is from a Mac... all about the optics eh?!

Richie.

"a paradigm of restraint and good taste at a time of frequent excess"
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear nut

Send a message via MSN to zenguan88
This is mind blowing.

Am wondering if they improve the way to control plugins from pro tools.
The usual 4 encoder might be somewhat limited if used to control any of the channelstrip plugins.
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

This beast certainly does look impressive.

But what is this really, an 8ch Genesys with 16 more faders for DAW control? This means at mixdown you'd have 8 analog chs (+8 mon returns), plus the 4 st fx returns? Why would you want 8buses then? Or are the small 8 faders at the right the ones that control the DAW? (quite poorly if its like the actual Genesys).

Inquiring minds want to know.

What it surely will be IMO is (another) embarrassment to AVID's S6, once price and features of both products are compared.
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jindrich View Post
But what is this really, an 8ch Genesys with 16 more faders for DAW control? This means at mixing you'd have 8 analog chs (+8 mon returns), plus the 4 st fx returns? Why would you want 8buses then?
If it's like the Genesys the busses have inserts too that could be used for additional inputs/outputs - or a nice way to route to external processors without patching maybe? You can send to auxes from the buses too.
Quote:
Or are the small 8 faders at the right the ones that control the DAW? (quite poorly if its like the actual Genesys).
Don't know about this product, on the original Genesys you can assign any 8 fader block to be a bank of DAW faders, not just the small ones.

The bit that caught my eye was the word 'MADI'!
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

i shot a load!!!

That is AWESOME.

However!! - Can it not be "built" using Euphonix controllers and 500 series for mad cheaper???
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

so has anyone seen a price on this yet?
and could you not use the 8 busses as a summing mixers along with the 8 analog channels to mix? or as fader foe additional outboard pres etc... it looks to me the 16 large faders in the middle are fro DAW control... and it did say touch screen ala Slate?
cheers
SP
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear addict

My Studio

Very interested in seeing the price. This seems like it could really strike a vein in the pro community.
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Can you fit a Slate Raven MTI in the middle?
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

The Beginning Revisited is not at AMS-Neve in Billington Rd, Burnley, UK. It is some 4000 miles west of there.

To get to the place where the Beginning is Being Revisited, board a flight to Austin, TX and drive your pick-up truck to Wimberley, Texas.

EARS-Chicago, Engineering And Recording Society

http://www.ears-chicago.org/
Deaf before Dishonor

http://soundcloud.com/hudson-fair
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

If AMS Neve doesn't have a booth, where is this being shown?

As someone that will be replacing an ICON at some point, I am VERY interested in seeing this in person.
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

if it is truly a touch screen then one might assume some Raven like control of the DAW but this is speculation... I assume the screen could also be used for EQ adjustment like on the the genesis....if the 8 small buss faders can be used as inputs for outboard then you could have at least 16 analog channels on the console surface for tracking...say a rack of 8 APIs or Heritage etc...could be an interesting alternative to a 1608 for instance... I see a lot of possibilities I guess time will tell....
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013

Are those black faders touch sensitive? I hope so!
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to ~ufo~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ufo~
If it's not a Raven MTi and their touch support is not as nifty then I see a major collaboration opportunity for Slate and Neve.
It could make some people with deep enough pockets very happy indeed.
Our Facebook
Our LinkedIn
Our MySpace
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Drew I am also replacing my Icon and recently looking for a used SSl AWS.. but this has potential... I love my Icon but no way I will go to an S6 the M4 versions looks like a total unexpandable toy........

this NEVE looks interesting despite the small channel count... also the new BOX by API seem ok at first glance but only 4 channels??? if they also Had done 8 with pre and eq and expandable then maybe they would have something....
I would venture a price guess of around 40K for this Neve... a 16ch genesys can be had for around 55K a 16 cannel SSl around 50K I think under 50 even with the touchscreen would be my guess...
cheers
Scott
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Looks amazing, however. I don't like the trend of touch screens. I'd much rather have a centrally located eq/comp/gate section (avid icon). I too am confused as to what the faders in the center are doing? I'm sure there is some expansion and the screen can be at a producers desk or something. Faders with no strips I front of them seem weird. Time will tell.

This can't be over $30k. It's only 8 channels+8 more summing channels.
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Does this have scribble strips for daw control?
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott petito View Post
Drew I am also replacing my Icon and recently looking for a used SSl AWS.. but this has potential... I love my Icon but no way I will go to an S6 the M4 versions looks like a total unexpandable toy........
Scott
Funny to read another such ICON related comment.

With the ICON officially EOL, a friend with a 32ch D-control is also looking for options, and as he considered the original Genesys, this new one could make more sense... if only the DAW control is good and the analog ch count is bigger than 8.

The AWS948 could be a great option too, but it's physically "too small". He bought the 32ch ICON to replace a 4K, you can't go from a monster to a liliput desk and see your clients thinking the studio has been downgraded. Size does matter sometimes.

A 16 analog ch Genesys Black, with the additional 16 faders and central screen looks more the size of the ICON, me thinks.

Only problem is that it took AMS several years to finish the Genesys -AFTER they started selling them-, and this "BLACK" one doesn't even exist yet - a couple more years to finish its software, 2015 perhaps?
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
This can't be over $30k. It's only 8 channels+8 more summing channels.
The price of 8 ams/neve 1073 channel strips is around $24k. Add in summing, touch screen, frame, faders, software design, ams/neve name and build quality, etc.
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
The price of 8 ams/neve 1073 channel strips is around $24k. Add in summing, touch screen, frame, faders, software design, ams/neve name and build quality, etc.
Point taken. $40k+ would be crazy for 8 channels(+8 more summing). You'd be almost forced to expand to another 16 channels just to feel like your money was well spent. That expansion would most certainly be $25k-$30k

That might be $70k with few pres & eq's. I guess that would be close to an aws 924 so maybe $40k is the proper starting point.

It'd be tuff to run a room off of 8 channels for $40+k is all I'm thinking I guess......carry on.
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

true but I see this a design aimed at someone like me.. I have 44 channels of out board pre Amps working with my Icon.. they go directly to protools now the Neve has just enough analog in it to be the center piece...maybe control 8-10 channels of extra outboard,,, most likely much better monitor section then the Icon...tradeoff ..potentially greatly decreased DAW control....although this point could be argued I love the Icon but even after 4 years I still only use 50% of whst it could control.. sometimes a mouse or Vc control in Ipad is just faster and easier.....

cheers
Scott
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear nut

Send a message via MSN to zenguan88
40K might be okay if you would only need 8 of the neve channels, have plenty of outboard and want a "Neve brand console"

I guess they meant for this more as a hybrid approach...
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

"Genesys Black offers 8 channels of mic/line preamps, 16-channels DAW/Tape monitoring"

Couldn't this indicate that you could have 8(line) + 16 (tape monitoring) analog channels during mixdown?

If it's really only 8ch, it does not make sense to me.

Greetings,
Dirk
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Ok, so where is this thing being shown here in NYC??

I've seen API's box, and Slates Raven big and little. Want to see this Neve!!
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Ok, so where is this thing being shown here in NYC??

I've seen API's box, and Slates Raven big and little. Want to see this Neve!!
No where!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search