Blue Cat' MB-7 Mixer 2.0 Plug-in Released - With Multiband VST Hosting
bluecataudio
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Software Blue Cat' MB-7 Mixer 2.01 Plug-in Released - With Multiband VST Hosting (Update)

Dear Gear Addicts,

We are happy to announce the release of Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer 2.0, a complete rewrite of our multiband processing plug-in, now including multiband VST hosting capabilities.

Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer is a unique plug-in that splits the signal into several frequency bands and lets you mix and process them as if they were separate tracks. In addition to the ability to host up to 4 VST plug-ins per band and thus transform any regular plug-in into a frequency-aware processor, Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer has now a brand new modular user interface, with lots of new features and enhancements: a spectrogram display, a new presets manager, multiple display sizes, new MIDI and automation mapping capabilities, and more (full list below).

The plug-in is available alone or as part of three bundles: Blue Cat's Energy Pack, Blue Cat's MB Dynamix Pack or Blue Cat's All Plug-ins Pack, the complete Blue Cat Audio collection bundle.

A special introduction price is offered to new customers until September 30th: 20% off the plug-in and related bundles. Customers who recently purchased the software (in the past 2 months) will receive the upgrade for free, and others can upgrade to the new version for a small fee. Other existing Blue Cat Audio customers can purchase the plug-in with 40% discount.

Demo versions are available for download on www.bluecataudio.com, in VST, RTAS, AAX, Audio Unit and DirectX formats, for both Mac and PC (32 and 64-bit).

New Features:
- Brand new, fully customizable user interface:
-- New look and feel.
-- Show only what you need.
-- New color or greyscale overlayed spectrogram view.
-- Multiple display sizes.
-- Customizable gain range.
-- Improved readability.
-- Animated transitions.
- Multiband VST Hosting:
-- Apply VST effects to a selected frequency range.
-- Add up to 4 VST plug-ins on each band.
-- Pre and post fader plug-ins slots.
-- Integrated latency compensation engine, with real time host reporting.
-- Optional undo/redo integration.
-- VST Presets Management.
-- Bypass inserted plug-ins individually.
- New integrated presets manager:
-- Load/save presets from the plug-in's user interface.
-- Organize presets with folders.
-- Customize the default preset.
-- Exchange presets easily.
- Automation range and response curve can now be customized for each parameter (in and out).
- Automation and MIDI settings (channel, MIDI learn etc.) are now accessible from the main user interface.
Improvements:
- New presets to get started faster.
- The windows installer now automatically detects the most appropriate VST install path.
- License is now shared between plug-ins types (register only once for all formats).
- Improved value display in fine edit window.
- Improved parameters display on control surfaces.
Optimizations and Performance Improvements:
- Improved parameters precision (now stored as 64-bit).
- More compact presets format (uses less space and loads faster).
- Smaller binaries on Mac (dropped PowerPC support).
Bug Fixes:
- (RTAS) Fixed parameters control with EUCON control surfaces in Pro Tools.
- Fixed user interface issues in Final Cut Pro X.
- Fixed keyboard stealing issue in Digital Performer 7 on Mac.
- Fixed copy/paste keyboard shortcut issues in the registration panel on Mac.
Note: this new version can be installed side by side with the previous version for backward compatibility reasons. Installing this new version won't break your previous projects.

System requirements:
- Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.5 or newer.
- PC running Windows XP or newer.

Pricing:
Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer 2: 74 EUR or $96 (instead of 99 EUR or $129), until September 30th.
Upgrade from Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer 1: 19 EUR or $25.
Blue Cat's MB Dynamix Pack: 207 EUR or $271 (instead of 259 EUR or $339), until September 30th
Blue Cat's Energy Pack: 279 EUR or $367 (instead of 349 EUR or $459), until September 30th
Blue Cat's All Plug-ins Pack: 799 EUR or $1 039 (instead of 999 EUR or $1 299), until September 30th
bluecataudio
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

I think this plugin classifies as the oft-overused term: gamechanger.

Not sure why it's not getting more attention, but I'm happy to keep it as my secret weapon!

????
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtone View Post
I think this plugin classifies as the oft-overused term: gamechanger.

Not sure why it's not getting more attention, but I'm happy to keep it as my secret weapon!

????
And PT users might want to get this one fast...
A.
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

It scares me to think what I could abuse with this.
bluecataudio
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
It scares me to think what I could abuse with this.

It indeed opens up lots of good or bad (ugly?) possibilities... Watch your ears! :
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

hi blue cat.

I would buy this in a heartbeat after testing this out but I have ran into a problem with it. Whenever I try and save a preset with some vst effects (just to see that it actually can recall settings) it creates a preset file as expected but many of the MB-7 settings are randomized upon recall. Sometimes it randomises the pan positions other times some other parameters but its always something (eg. crossover frequencies).

Is this a demo limitation/feature?

If not, I dont think I can take the plunge unless the save presets actually works as expected.

Also is there 2 plugins per band limitation or did I miss something?

edit: I am using Ableton Live 9 (64 bit) on Mac OS 10.8.4. I tried it on Cubase as well, and the preset recall seems to work as expected. Maybe there is some incompatibility with Ableton?

edit 2: ok also tried in Studio One 2 and it recalls presets perfectly. However, Ableton randomises preset parameters.
bluecataudio
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Hi,

this behavior is indeed not expected. Wouldn't you be mixing presets between the mono/stereo and/or dual versions of the plug-in by any chance? They are not compatible with each other and loading a preset saved with one of the plug-ins with another one would indeed result in such a behavior.

By default, only the 2 Pre-fader slots are shown (to save screen real estate). You can show them by clicking on the lower half of the small plug button at the top left of the user interface (number 4 in the image below):
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

thanks for the quick reply.

I only installed the VST(Stereo) version so I do not have any other versions installed.

Cubase 7 and Studio One 2 work perfectly but sadly my main workhorse Ableton Live seems to continuously randomize all MB-7 parameters when I recall a preset.
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

oh god the more i play with this the more i want to buy it despite my issues.

is there any chance you could try and look at the ableton preset recall at some point?

edit: the AU version seems to recall plugin presets OK but it has some issues using the GUI resize options. I have to close and reopen for changes to effect and the GUI glitches right after changing resizing. No GUI issues on the VST version.

Damn.. I'm so close to getting this. This is exactly what I want........
bluecataudio
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
hi blue cat.
edit: I am using Ableton Live 9 (64 bit) on Mac OS 10.8.4. I tried it on Cubase as well, and the preset recall seems to work as expected. Maybe there is some incompatibility with Ableton?
There is no nown compatibility issue, and we are currently not able to reproduce the issue on a similar setup . Do you maybe have some automation running on the plug-in, or a particular setting for VSTs in Live?

Is it possible by any chance to also try the Audio Unit version?

Also, are your presets using global links between bands, maybe?
bluecataudio
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
is there any chance you could try and look at the ableton preset recall at some point?
Woops, looks like our posts crossed. We keep trying but cannot find a way to reproduce. Maybe you can send us one of your presets? Does it only happen when you have plug-ins loaded?
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

it happens on every preset regardless of whether i have a plugin loaded or not. Every time I load the same preset it randomizes the pan, level, mute and solos completely.

its weird if you cant reproduce. maybe its just my system..(?) though I do seem to have a quite a solid set up (MBPr 2012) overall and no issues with plugins in general.

the AU version works much better for me.
bluecataudio
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

That's indeed really strange... Impossible to reproduce here. We'll keep trying on other machines. Can you maybe tell us the esact version of Live you are using?

Also, can anyone else reproduce the same issue?
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Hi and thanks for troubleshooting. I'm using Live 9.05 (the latest full official release).
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

That vst hosting per bandwidth is pretty neat..
nkf
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

A very good plug in for sound design. Unfortunately it crashes a lot in Nuendo 6 (OSX) when using VSTs. I hope there will be some more work on the stability as a VST host.
Would it be possible to include AU hosting too? There are still some AU plug ins not available as VST versions.
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Very cool idea the fact that you can choose the type of compression per band is awesome. Can you have external sidechain per band if the plugin inserted supports side chain? Also AU hosting would be nice.
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Head

This looks very nice! I'd like to use it with different analog outboard processing per band, inserted via 'external effect' plug-ins in Cubase. Would that be possible? So far I've only been able to load vst .ddl files, but the external effects aren't available as .dll's in the vst folder. Any ideas?

Wessel
bluecataudio
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear maniac

@Brasco: Thanks. We'll keep trying.

@nkf: apart from a few crashing VSTs that we have identified and require extra work with their manufacturers, VST support should be pretty stable. Can you please tell us which plug-ins fail? Also, are you running Nuendo in 32 or 64-bit mode?

@A Fak: external side chain for inserted plug-ins is currently not supported. You can however use the MIDI side chain capabilities of our plug-ins on each band with this version.

@spoor14: if you are thinking about Cubase built-in external insert support, it is not an actual plug-in but an extension inside Cubase, so I don't think it is possible to use it. However, if another plug-in exists with similar features, you could use it inside the MB-7 Mixer plug-in, since it supports latency compensation. Not sure such a plug-in exists (yet) though. Anyone?
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear Head

can i load 32 bits plugins into 64 bits host like logic X ?

Enviado desde mi GT-S5830 usando Tapatalk
bluecataudio
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear maniac

Yes, you can, but using an external bridging utility such as jBridge for example.
bluecataudio
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hi and thanks for troubleshooting. I'm using Live 9.05 (the latest full official release).
So, for example, just recalling the default preset several times in a row within the MB-7 Mixer plug-in menu will randomize the parameters?
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone tried it with nebula? This could be the protools solution
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear maniac

Nebula doesnt work in MB-7 Mixer
It doesnt recall Nebula program sample rate
Nomad Factory MAGMA works fine with Nebula
nkf
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
@nkf: apart from a few crashing VSTs that we have identified and require extra work with their manufacturers, VST support should be pretty stable. Can you please tell us which plug-ins fail? Also, are you running Nuendo in 32 or 64-bit mode?
It was with Valhalla Room and UAD RE-201 in Nuendo 6 32 bit version. Sometimes I could work with these combinations but recalling this from stored .fxp files leads to a crash of N6 completely.
I just bought this plug in yesterday and therefore have not very much time spent with it.
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=goshalev;9397465]Nebula doesnt work in MB-7 Mixer
Nomad Factory MAGMA works fine with Nebula[/QUOT

doesnt compensate latency here in pt10

make it work with nebula

this would allow to load all 4 bands of an eq at once
bluecataudio
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear maniac

Software

Quote:
Not sure I understand what you exactly mean. Do you mind giving more details?

Quote:
doesnt compensate latency here in pt10
I don't know if the Nebula plug-in does report latency, but if it does, then you have to restart transport for the latency to get taken into account (it is a linitation of PT10 - PT11 now changes the latency in real time).

Quote:
recalling this from stored .fxp files leads to a crash of N6 completely
Thanks for the heads up. Does it also happen if you use the plug-in's own presets system?
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear maniac

This comes at an interesting juncture for me. After swearing off multiband compressors a few years ago I just this week started demoing some of the current crop, but they were all leaving me rather underwhelmed. I just found myself wanting a bit more control of the compression character and parameters. I was mainly looking for something to grab just the low end of a mix and do some leveling.

This could be just the ticket as I can use my comps I already have and am familiar with. So far I have been playing with it and it's pretty dang cool!

When I saw this I was hoping for a "mix" feature that would allow pseudo-parallel processing of a band. Maybe I missed that, but if not would there be any plans to add such a feature?

Very nice plugin folks!
nkf
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

"Quote:
recalling this from stored .fxp files leads to a crash of N6 completely
Thanks for the heads up. Does it also happen if you use the plug-in's own presets system?"

A little correction ... I meant the MediaBay .vstpreset files. I will test later the internal plug-in preset recalls.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search