Focal Professional launches Spirit Professional headphones.
The Press Desk
3rd September 2013
Old 3rd September 2013
News Desk Editor

Hardware Focal Professional launches Spirit Professional headphones.

SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL
Listen to your music, not to your headphones !

The Spirit Professional headphones are the direct result of Focal’s historical expertise in the design of high-performance transducers. In line with the French manufacturer’s monitoring loudspeakers, the Spirit Professional headphones ensure high-quality control of monitoring activities without exception, freeing professionals from the acoustic constraints related to the size of their workstation.

The circum-aural design of the Spirit Professional headphones was chosen to optimize the acoustic coupling to the ear. This monitoring tool for professional recording studios is also suitable for broadcasting or home studios, where the noise level is much higher. This is the reason why these closed-type headphones were the obvious solution.

The frequency of use and the length of time they are used for are two of the most important aspects to take into account when designing professional headphones. The optimisation of the comfort of the headphones was essential for the French manufacturer. The choice to use memory foam for the ear-pieces and the headband ensures a perfect fit regardless of user’s morphology. What’s more, the dimensions of the ear-pieces have been increased compared to the Spirit One headphones in order to reduce the pressure level whilst guaranteeing remarkable insulation. Finally, the Black textured finish gives the headphones a simplistic look and as well as a shock- and scratch-resistant quality.

Acoustics: neutrality and transparency for total control
The close attention paid to the design of the Mylar/ Titanium alloy drivers ensures sound reproduction which respects the original dynamics of the audio signal without distortion, preventing auditory fatigue. The neutrality of tonal balance combined with the remarkably high definition enable the reproduction of all audio signals, even at the lowest of listening volumes. Finally, work on the acoustical load of the transducers has resulted in articulated bass worthy of open-style headphones, but with the advantages of insulation. The low-impedance OFC coiled cable (13ft / 4m) enhances the transparency of sound, an important concept for the brand. Focal also provides a straight cable (4.6ft / 1.4m) with a built-in track selector and microphone for receiving calls, the perfect accessory to ensure maximum mobility.

Link : Focal presents Spirit Professional monitoring headphones - Focal
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Gear maniac

New Focal Spirit Professional headphones!

DSK
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
DSK
Lives for gear

Headphones look great.

Designwise they have a good balance between looking like a professional tool and something you would get just for their looks.

Can't wait to hear some reviews on how they sound!
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Gear maniac
These certainly look cool, but I'm wondering if there is any sonic difference between these and the Focal Spirit One cans, which sell for $100 less on Amazon.

Cheers,
Eddie
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear
Nice, will have to compare them to my Shure headphones
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

I had a chance to check them out a while back,
love em! to my head and ears it felt like I was wearing CMS50 directly on my head. Im sold!

Great Werk Focal Pro!
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie TX View Post
These certainly look cool, but I'm wondering if there is any sonic difference between these and the Focal Spirit One cans, which sell for $100 less on Amazon.

Cheers,
Eddie
A lot of differences between the Spirit One and the Spirit Pro. the Pro has much bigger cups that cover the ears, much more durable finish, comes with 2 cables (long coiled one and a short smartphone compatible one) - and it terms of sound - Pro is flatter, more detailed and more dynamic than the Spirit One.
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Gear maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPro View Post
... and it terms of sound - Pro is flatter, more detailed and more dynamic than the Spirit One.
Thank you for that ... I look forward to reading some reviews. It'll be interesting to hear how these compare with similarly-priced closed-back models such as the Shure SRH-940 and PSB M4U1.

Cheers,
Eddie
OMU
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pro is flatter, more detailed and more dynamic than the Spirit One.
I'd love to see/hear a flat sounding headphone. Until now I found that to be a very difficult task.
DSK
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
DSK
Lives for gear

Considering how much R&D these guys do I won't be surprised if these headphones deliver.

Excited as a Beyerdynamics DT770pro user (lovely hphones) that's looking for a second flatter pair.
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear addict

Congrats on the product release!

Is the stereo cable into the earpiece detachable? If so, I'm sold.

If not, I'll be sticking to AKGs. No tracking headphone should have a permanently attached cable. It's the first thing to go on any pair of headphones!

Is it only AKG that makes a detachable cable to the earpiece for easy swapping and repair? If not, let me know.

Anyway, I use Focal Solos, and love their monitors. These look great - however, I have my fingers crossed for easily replaceable cabling!

Cheers,

Phil
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Head

The coiled cable is detachable and is using a 3.5mm jack connector on both sides and is provided with a 1/4 inch adaptor .
Nicolas @ Focal.
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Would love to see the frequency response...
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

They're only 240€ in some local stores (but not yet available). I'm very curious too about how they sound. I'll probably go try them as soon as they're available.
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie TX View Post
Thank you for that ... I look forward to reading some reviews. It'll be interesting to hear how these compare with similarly-priced closed-back models such as the Shure SRH-940 and PSB M4U1.

Cheers,
Eddie
I heard the SRH-940 last week for the first time and did some extensive listening compared to Spirit Pro. the one thing I didn't like about the 940 was an excessive peak in the high-end that made you want to de-ess everything. also, compared to the 940, the Spirit Pro has leaner and more detailed and punchy bass. not as fun - but more 'monitor'-like
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas debard View Post
The coiled cable is detachable and is using a 3.5mm jack connector on both sides and is provided with a 1/4 inch adaptor .
Nicolas @ Focal.
Thanks for such a fast response.

Is the cable detachable at the earpiece? Or is this cable an extension to a wire that's already attached at the earpiece?

Sorry about my questions. On the Focal site, it's a little confusing. I thought the detachable cables were extension pieces.

I'm hoping that the earpiece has the 3.5mm input directly on it.

Kind regards,

Phil
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Thanks for such a fast response.

Is the cable detachable at the earpiece? Or is this cable an extension to a wire that's already attached at the earpiece?

Sorry about my questions. On the Focal site, it's a little confusing. I thought the detachable cables were extension pieces.

I'm hoping that the earpiece has the 3.5mm input directly on it.

Kind regards,

Phil
Hi Phil,

it's fully detachable 3.5mm directly to the earpiece - so you can use either of the cable that is provided OR get any other cable that will fit!

5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Hi Phil,

it's fully detachable 3.5mm directly to the earpiece - so you can use either of the cable that is provided OR get any other cable that will fit!

You have my order.

-Phil
OMU
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttler View Post
Would love to see the frequency response...
I doubt they will publish it.

However, it will become eventually available from the likes of headphone.com and others.
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
I heard the SRH-940 last week for the first time and did some extensive listening compared to Spirit Pro. the one thing I didn't like about the 940 was an excessive peak in the high-end that made you want to de-ess everything. also, compared to the 940, the Spirit Pro has leaner and more detailed and punchy bass. not as fun - but more 'monitor'-like
Many like myself like the SRH-840 better than the 940's as they have better bass response.
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Lives for gear

These look really great! Must try them.
6th September 2013
Old 6th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
I doubt they will publish it.

However, it will become eventually available from the likes of headphone.com and others.
Exactly - there's no point in publishing a frequency response if the measurement is not done the same for all headphones (different measurement techniques - etc)

and even when Headphone.com or other website measure them - it can vary greatly just by the position of the headphone. I don't know how many different measurements or average they do but it's the closest thing to a 'comparison' we can get.

Doesn't replace an actual mixing session though
OMU
7th September 2013
Old 7th September 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

That's exactly why the manufacturer should do it. However, I said you won't do it, because that could come as a bad surprise for those who are thinking it's got a flat response.
7th September 2013
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

I love my Denon cans, but my Focal monitors are pretty amazing. Really interested to hear these.
7th September 2013
Old 7th September 2013
Lives for gear

Mmm I wonder if they would be better than hd650
8th September 2013
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

8th September 2013
Old 8th September 2013
Lives for gear

How large is the inside of the cup in diameter? I tried the original Spirit and it (and the Senn Momentum...) was just way too small for my ears.

r,
j,
9th September 2013
Old 9th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
How large is the inside of the cup in diameter? I tried the original Spirit and it (and the Senn Momentum...) was just way too small for my ears.

r,
j,

Hi!

the inside of the cup is 42mm wide by 55mm high - much bigger than Spirit One - and much more comfortable
9th September 2013
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi!

the inside of the cup is 42mm wide by 55mm high - much bigger than Spirit One - and much more comfortable
Ah, that's the exact size of my old pair of my now travelled-to-death Ultrasone 700s -- which means that these will fit my head. Interesting indeed, I'm definitely in the market for a new pair of good, closed cans.

r,
j,
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

My ears are rejoicing as I enter this post
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Professional launches Spirit Professional headphones.-imageuploadedbygearslutz1379362069.171522.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search