HOFA-Plugins released IQ-Reverb
HOFA
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear interested

Software HOFA-Plugins released IQ-Reverb

As the first vintage convolution reverb the IQ-Reverb combines the diversity of a convolution reverb with the flexibility of classical reverb processors from the golden age.
Supplied with a specially compiled library it provides a wide range of possible reverbs out of the box. Of course, it is also possible to add custom impulse response files.

The Features:
  • Convolution reverb with innovative editing capabilities.
  • Easy handling, clearly arranged display.
  • Intuitive 3D user interface.
  • Reverberation time adjustable in 3 frequency ranges.
  • Cut- & vintage gated reverb.
  • Reverse reverb.
  • Modulation for vivid reverb textures.
  • Positioning of sound sources in virtual space (positioner).
  • True Stereo capable.
  • Extensive IR and preset library (vintage & high-end studio gear, "real" spaces, layered reverb combinations).
  • User presets can be stored.
  • Imports 3rd party impulse responses and libraries.
  • Changeable plugin window size.
  • "Set as default" preset.
  • Supports all common sample frequencies.
  • PC and Mac, 32- and 64-bit DAWs.

Pricing & Availability

The HOFA IQ-Reverb is available for all common Windows and OS X plugin formats. The introductiory price is 129,90 € (109,16 € with educational discount). The regular prices will be 149,90 € (124,92 € with edu discount).

The IQ-Reverb can be purchased at the HOFA-Plugins Store.

Further information is available at www.hofa-plugins.de.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

This look very promising.
Must try.

Btw ...
I have Altiverb 6 and have been waiting to upgrade.
Now I realise the introprice of the Hofa is identical to the Altiverb upgrade fee ...

G
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
This look very promising.
Must try.

Btw ...
I have Altiverb 6 and have been waiting to upgrade.
Now I realise the introprice of the Hofa is identical to the Altiverb upgrade fee ...

G
The IQ-Reverb is better than Altiverb. Get the Samplicity Bricasti IRs which are a free download; use the original sampled files 32 bit 48 kHz because the sample rate converted versions lose something. Let the reverb itself do the SRC if need be. Run the same IR in both apps and I think you'll hear a difference, especially if the sample rate of the project is different than the IR's rate.

I've been using IQ-Reverb for a week or so and it's really good. The SRC algorithm they are using is very transparent so IRs with sample rates different from your project still sound very good. And it's the first convolution reverb where I feel I can alter the length of the IR without worrying about a change in sound quality. The included IRs sound very good too.

Also, the controls are very intelligently designed. You can easily and quickly adjust all important parameters. Sometimes designers really nail the interface and software becomes a joy to use. This is one of those apps for me. The only thing I can complain about is the GUI is so large that it tends to cover up most of my DAW mixer. But that's a very minor complaint.

Unfortunately, I think many people are going to ignore this reverb for a couple of reasons: 1) People see convolution as static and not easily adjustable in a track compared to algorithmic verbs even though IQ-Reverb has broken this barrier and 2) the company is proud to be German so its website defaults to German. You have to find and click the English/American flag icon in the upper right corner to get the English website. This may trigger Americans' default xenophobic stance and cause them to skip on by if they can't easily find the English site.
HOFA
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot
You have to find and click the English/American flag icon in the upper right corner to get the English website.
Actually, I simply forgot to link to the English site but this is fixed now.

Christian
HOFA-Plugins
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear Head

Do I have to download the bricasti quad channel files to get the most out of it or can I import the two L-R wav files as 4 channel IR?
thanks for helping out.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mika2011 View Post
Do I have to download the bricasti quad channel files to get the most out of it or can I import the two L-R wav files as 4 channel IR?
thanks for helping out.
After reading the Samplicity info, I choose the 32 bit 48 kHz stereo files because they are the original sampled files he made. The others are sample rate converted. I think they are the second download link on that page. I don't work in quad, so these were fine for me. They include M to S and L/R IRs for each Bricasti preset. I don't mix in quad, so I can't really give advice on that.
HOFA
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear interested

For true stereo either 4-channel audio files or two 2-channel files named "impulse response L.wav" and "impulse response R.wav" (e.g. filenames ending with "L" and "R") can be loaded via drag and drop. In the latter case, the plugin asks whether the two files should be used as true stereo IR or only the first file should be used.

BTW, the plugin is resizable; its size can be adjusted at the right or bottom sides and corner.

Christian
HOFA-Plugins
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

weird things here.
I installed the IQ reverb with the plugin manager, activated the demo period and all parameters were greyed out. removed the plug from the track, inserted it again and plug said: demo period expired.
I'm on PT10 / OSX 10.8.4

reinstalled / repaired the plug, No luck.
Plugin manager says : demo running
26th July 2013
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

What are the included IR's like?

Are they as good as Altiverb 7 - Which personally I must say I think sound very nice!

I have a few others (Samplecity etc) but generally just flip through the included IR's so this is quite important for me.

R.
HOFA
26th July 2013
Old 26th July 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil
I installed the IQ reverb with the plugin manager, activated the demo period and all parameters were greyed out. removed the plug from the track, inserted it again and plug said: demo period expired.
I'm on PT10 / OSX 10.8.4
Of course, that shouldn't happen.
If you write an email to plugins@hofa.de we can mail you a temporary license.

Christian
HOFA-Plugins
bee
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
bee
Lives for gear

Anyone else using this with the Bricasti IRs? It seems like cool reverb.
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Gear nut

The feature set is nothing short of amazing.
Modulation is one thing, test sounds auto-playing on each parameter change is a godsend.
Positioner opens up a new territory as well.
Sliders would be more convenient in some areas (mix, time, etc.) for automation, but I'm sure there's a workaround.
ukm
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
ukm
Gear nut

tried out convolution reverbs years ago but ended up nearly only using good algorithmic reverbs. With IQ-Reverb this may change now.
Also tried out several external IRs that I had on HDDs - very nice sounding.
Would be nice too if the reverb preset name would also be shown in the info window like it is with the default presets.
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Anyone else using this with the Bricasti IRs? It seems like cool reverb.
I've try with samplicity t600 also... true streo ..and sound very nice... 3d..and the other features are nice too.
30th July 2013
Old 30th July 2013
Gear addict

By far the best IR verb I've heard yet.

But...

Anybody know how to get my other IR libraries to show up in the browser? Auditioning each one by drag & drop gets to be annoying very quickly, and a workflow killer. I checked the manual, but nothing.

Anyone know?
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

pretty good this verb. Sometimes has the cold sound of IRs but often sounds very good up there with the best...
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

So how long does the intro-price stay ?

G
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Gear addict

anyone know how to add all the bricasti IR files at once?
19th August 2013
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaitang View Post
anyone know how to add all the bricasti IR files at once?
Yes. According to HOFA you drag the Bricasti files from a desktop window into the IR browser list. I have done this. It takes about 5-10 minutes. But then the IR browser list displays the Bricasti impulses in order by decay time. So they are interspersed with HOFA's included IRs. It works and it's actually a convenient method of organization that seems better than Bricasti's original "Hall" Chamber Ambience Room method of organization.
28th September 2013
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Head

I'm just using REVerence right now. One of the main reasons I started looking for another convolution reverb was I wanted something with better preset management of my extensive IR library. IQ Reverb is definitely a step in the right direction, but still not seamless. I like the current viewer, but would also like a folder view option. Sometimes you just can't beat this age old form of organization.

After a little demoing, these are some of my feature requests:

1. Up Down arrows should toggle through presets
2. Alternative folder view for IR Library
3. Color wheel selector for changing the single UI color. Ability to enter RGB value. The orange becomes overwhelming to me after a while. I would replace mine with a baby blue.
4. Vendor column in presets table
5. Bit depth and sample rate columns in presets table
6. A couple built-in LFOs for modulating any setting.

MY GREAT IDEA, haha:
I really like how well the positioning works. Instead of creating a send and separate reverb for all the instruments using the same IR but with different positioning, create one FX send channel with one instance of IQ-Reverb. Then on each individual instrument channel insert a IQ-Reverb Send plugin. This plugin should not effect the signal of the channel it is inserted on. It is just a custom send. The only settings in this send plugin are level and position. All the channel plugins then route themselves to the single IQ-Reverb. The single IQ-Reverb then outputs the combined reverb with each instrument in its proper location.
28th September 2013
Old 28th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Yes. According to HOFA you drag the Bricasti files from a desktop window into the IR browser list. I have done this. It takes about 5-10 minutes. But then the IR browser list displays the Bricasti impulses in order by decay time. So they are interspersed with HOFA's included IRs. It works and it's actually a convenient method of organization that seems better than Bricasti's original "Hall" Chamber Ambience Room method of organization.

how do you get the bricasti L and R files to work together? they seem to be separate presets in the IQ reverb list.... the Mono-Stereo files work fine but want to hear what the true stereo sound is like
4th November 2013
Old 4th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
After reading the Samplicity info, I choose the 32 bit 48 kHz stereo files because they are the original sampled files he made. The others are sample rate converted. I think they are the second download link on that page. I don't work in quad, so these were fine for me. They include M to S and L/R IRs for each Bricasti preset. I don't mix in quad, so I can't really give advice on that.
The 4-channel files are not for Quad use - it's misleadingly described.
They seem to be for use in True Stereo capable devices/plugins where instead of traditional L-R you get L-L, L-R, R-L and R-R - it's easier to show a picture than to describe it. The usage is also detailed in the IQ plugin manual.
As it is capable of this depth of function I would have thought the 4 file (so-called "quad") would be the better one to use?
10th November 2013
Old 10th November 2013
Lives for gear

I'm REALLY glad I found this before the intro pricing ended.
Great features and lovely sounds.
The positioning feature is very cool.
My first serious convolution reverb.
It seems to compliment my MANY algo reverbs very well.
Very nice.
Thanks Hofa.
4th April 2014
Old 4th April 2014
Gear addict

This is a really nice IR Reverb! Now if only Hofa can get some Hansa Tonstudio IR's to add to their collection.... *smile*
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search