New Reply
Subscribe
Kenny Gioia
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Gear Guru

Send a message via AIM to Kenny Gioia
Delay Explained!!!! - Now available

Just wanted to announce my next video tutorial that has finally been released. Delay - Explained!!!

Enjoy.

Tutorials Worth Repeating!!! Repeating!!! Repeating!!!! Repeating!!!!

Delay Explained

The Delay effect is one of the oldest effects to be used on recordings, and there are many different types and ways to apply it. Multi-Platinum mixer / producer extraordinaire Kenny Gioia returns with a "must have" series for anyone recording, mixing, engineering or producing music.

See how delay can be used to make tracks bigger, wider and just cooler! Learn the important fundamentals and advanced techniques of delay, and you'll find yourself using delay smarter and more creatively.

Kenny starts off with a tutorial on the history of Delay, so you know exactly what it is and where it originated from. Next, he gets into "Automatic Double Tracking" (ADT), then "Chorus Delay", "Flange Delay" and "Rhythmic Delay" to create delay lines that take on a life of their own. Kenny then studies the famous "Slapback Delay" sound and shows you how to dial it in just right.

Moving on, Kenny reveals ways to setup and automate "Musically Timed Delay", as well as make "Dynamic Delays" that fill only empty spaces! "Filtered and Distorted Delays" are next on the list, and Kenny demonstrates awesome ways to sculpt your delayed sound, as well as pan them interestingly.

Wrapping up the series, Kenny goes over a boatload of "3rd Party Delay Plug-ins", discussing their strengths, and then finishes the series with a tutorial on "Putting It All Together" on a track.

If you record, mix, engineer or produce music, Delay is definitely a "go to first" effect. Hang out with Kenny as he shows you the ins and outs of Delay and how to apply it to your tracks. Your music will be worth repeating!

More Info and FREE History of Delay - Introduction Video Here

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS

• 11 Tutorials / 1 Hour 40 Minutes Total Runtime
• For all beginner to intermediate engineers, mixers and producers.
• Tutorials written by Multi-Platinum Producer / Engineer Kenny Gioia
• Simple to use video control interface for Mac & PC
• Watch Online, Download, Stream to iPad, iPhone & iPod

Thanks to GS and everyone's support. Thank you.

Kenny Gioia

6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Gear nut

Just finished watching it. Kenny has a way of explaining things without coming off condescending. Also the videos move at a good pace so they don't get boring either. Great work Mr. Gioia and the folks at Groove3. It's videos as good as this that keeps me subscribed.
7th July 2013
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Hey Kenny....not sure what's up but your video is unavailable right now. Hopefully you can find out what the deal is. Would love to check it out.
M2E
7th July 2013
Old 7th July 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Hey Kenny,

I have to say, you are very well spoken and after seeing this video makes me interested in this this delay video.
Your clear and simple approach is the best I've seen since you use to do the free video's for Pro Tools.

Love it man.... Keep doin it!!!

Marc

http://soundcloud.com/marc-ellus

Sorry in advance for any misspelled words, phrases or not using the right meaning/s at the right times. So get over it and back to the post at hand!!! Thanx....
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Head

I want to add my thanks for a watchable tutorial. I've got your Mixing Rock one and have seen several other of your videos with my all access pass at groove3, and you are easily the most non boring person they have that I've come across.

Not trying to denigrate others but just congratulating you.
Kenny Gioia
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by solveforq View Post
Just finished watching it. Kenny has a way of explaining things without coming off condescending. Also the videos move at a good pace so they don't get boring either. Great work Mr. Gioia and the folks at Groove3. It's videos as good as this that keeps me subscribed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hey Kenny,

I have to say, you are very well spoken and after seeing this video makes me interested in this this delay video.
Your clear and simple approach is the best I've seen since you use to do the free video's for Pro Tools.

Love it man.... Keep doin it!!!

Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21 View Post
I want to add my thanks for a watchable tutorial. I've got your Mixing Rock one and have seen several other of your videos with my all access pass at groove3, and you are easily the most non boring person they have that I've come across.

Not trying to denigrate others but just congratulating you.
Thanks guys. It means a lot.
Kenny Gioia
10th July 2013
Old 10th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
Hey Kenny....not sure what's up but your video is unavailable right now. Hopefully you can find out what the deal is. Would love to check it out.
Are you still having issues?
10th July 2013
Old 10th July 2013
Lives for gear

These tutorials are, imho, a real resource for the generations of people coming up now without the opportunity to intern. It's like being able to hang with an experienced professional after hours in the control room, as they patiently iterate the billion things a person stupid enough to be in this occupation needs to know.

Knowledge isn't assumed, and what's happening is explained from the ground up, succinctly, and in the overall context of why, of what the objective is. I also like what's between the lines, the little indirect actions and comments that give deeper clues into things like how to make choices, or how not to miss the forest for the trees, etc. The high information to time ratio is a sign of that: These are well-planned and concise, no fumbling around or wasting time doing fiddly stuff we don't need to see in order to learn (which isn't the case with many a tutorial I've endured). And the tone, at least for me, is pitch-perfect, almost as if you were an assistant who actually was doing some decent work and hey, here's some other cool stuff it's important to know.

I guess this is a positive review.

I'm going to have to paw around and find something to crab about in some other thread.

Peace.

Duck.

.......Rusko
11th July 2013
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

Nice job on the intro.

I miss those 2290 buttons and its 1 MHz converter sound .
11th July 2013
Old 11th July 2013
Gear nut

Very cool! This is the tutorial era!
11th July 2013
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

This is cool, this is great for Saturday morning and a coffee.

Having delay tips in my pocket should go a LONG way.
Kenny Gioia
12th July 2013
Old 12th July 2013
Gear Guru

Thanks for the kind words guys.
13th July 2013
Old 13th July 2013
Lives for gear

Great video, thumbs up for Kenny for a very informative video presented in a really interesting way. Great job and thanks to Kenny. He is full of knowedge and is also a very great speaker/presentor.

There is just one innocent little mistake in a video, where Kenny mentiones Lexicon PCM 84 digital delay in the Introduction - Brief History of Delay...unfortunately there never was Lexicon PCM 84...he probably meant PCM 42
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

Kenny

Hands down, you make the vids in the biz! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Kenny Gioia
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post

There is just one innocent little mistake in a video, where Kenny mentiones Lexicon PCM 84 digital delay in the Introduction - Brief History of Delay...unfortunately there never was Lexicon PCM 84...he probably meant PCM 42
That's what I get for trusting Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay_(audio_effect)

PSP does make an 84 plugin so I assumed it was correct. Thanks.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear interested

Looks great! But I'm on pc (studio one) any 3rd party alternative to mod delay III for pc?
Thanks
Kenny Gioia
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchinstin View Post
Looks great! But I'm on pc (studio one) any 3rd party alternative to mod delay III for pc?
Thanks
Studio One doesn't have a built in delay?

I used the Mod Delay III because it's the free one that comes with Pro Tools and I assumed that all DAWs come with a Delay that will work almost exactly the same.

Thanks
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

It's a nice delay. It's obviously set up to be very efficient, things are placed exactly where you would want (rate mod/depth). You switched to stereo and it kept the settings. C'mon man.
Kenny Gioia
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
It's a nice delay. It's obviously set up to be very efficient, things are placed exactly where you would want (rate mod/depth). You switched to stereo and it kept the settings. C'mon man.
I looked around last night and there are definitely a ton of free third-party delays available.

Looking thru the effects on the Studio One website,

Effects

I see a handful of delays that would do the job quite nicely.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Lives for gear

You're not missing anything.

I was just more in awe of PT, it is just a smart DAW. We can get those delays, just not bundled as efficiently. These videos expose the tiny workflow differences that mean more than which cool plugin you're using.

Because of the way that little delay is setup, you come to conclusions that I would never, unless I saw the video!

Seems small, but enormous point.
Kenny Gioia
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
You're not missing anything.

I was just more in awe of PT, it is just a smart DAW. We can get those delays, just not bundled as efficiently. These videos expose the tiny workflow differences that mean more than which cool plugin you're using.

Because of the way that little delay is setup, you come to conclusions that I would never, unless I saw the video!

Seems small, but enormous point.
I hear you. I chose that delay because I thought it was pretty generic and had all of the usual parameters. Similar to stock plugins. Looking at third party delays and everything varies greatly. But the concepts should be similar. Not sure that it could have been done any differently to accommodate everyone.

Thanks.
18th July 2013
Old 18th July 2013
Lives for gear

Oh the vid it was perfect, these aren't criticisms. Anyone watching will get the delay concepts.

They might also then take a closer look at their own little bundled plugins, to keep in mind that the tools one has (the way they're laid out) can be very influential.
Kenny Gioia
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh the vid it was perfect, these aren't criticisms. Anyone watching will get the delay concepts.

They might also then take a closer look at their own little bundled plugins, to keep in mind that the tools one has (the way they're laid out) can be very influential.
I gotcha.

Thanks for the support.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear maniac

Hi Kenny,

first of, thanks for yet another great tutorial!

I skimmed through it today because I'm looking for something specific , but couldn't really find it. I'm looking for this little trick where a modulation on a delay gets more and more pronounced by each repeat. Like a tape echo gives you darker tone with each repeat.

I think it was one of your tutorials where you explained it. If not, could you please explain to me how this is done with a plugin or maybe tell me which tutorial it is (if it's on the groove3 page) I've searched the vast www but couldn't find an answer.
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
Hi Kenny,

first of, thanks for yet another great tutorial!

I skimmed through it today because I'm looking for something specific , but couldn't really find it. I'm looking for this little trick where a modulation on a delay gets more and more pronounced by each repeat. Like a tape echo gives you darker tone with each repeat.

I think it was one of your tutorials where you explained it. If not, could you please explain to me how this is done with a plugin or maybe tell me which tutorial it is (if it's on the groove3 page) I've searched the vast www but couldn't find an answer.
It's actually throughout most of it. In varying degrees. The concept is to feed the delay back into itself using the busses in your DAW instead of the feedback on the delay plugin.

Anything you add to the channel (EQ, saturation, modulation) will get multiplied upon each repeat.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
24th July 2013
Old 24th July 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
It's actually throughout most of it. In varying degrees. The concept is to feed the delay back into itself using the busses in your DAW instead of the feedback on the delay plugin.

Anything you add to the channel (EQ, saturation, modulation) will get multiplied upon each repeat.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees thanx
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I looked around last night and there are definitely a ton of free third-party delays available.

Looking thru the effects on the Studio One website,

Effects

I see a handful of delays that would do the job quite nicely.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Does anybody know about an MOD Delay 3 VST. I own loads of delays but the simplicity of the delay in the video is outstanding, Dual LFO's Dual Feedbacks NICE.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear maniac

Great Job on the Video
Tui
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Tui
Lives for gear

I'm always late to everything. I need someone to explain it to me!!!
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
I'm always late to everything. I need someone to explain it to me!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search