New Reply
Subscribe
Tsonic
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

Kork M500 Micro Preset Synth with custom tape compressor effect from Tronsonic

Hi there,
the latest offering from Tronsonic for Kontakt 5.1.0 (full version) is the Kork M500 micro preset synthesizer.
I tried to get it as close (both visually and audibly) as I could to the original late 70s preset synth (as used by OMD on many records), and also added a few extra features like polyphony, expression and a tape compression and damage effect.
In order to maintain the purity of the waveforms, I chose not to sample to tape (hence the 'tape fx' section), but used valves and a chain of nearly 100 year old interstage transformers to capture the audio.

All of the presets are selectable via the interface (as with the real synth), as well as the effects/edit section under the red button.

As you can see, the tape input gain and warmth settings are also controllable via dedicated attack and decay envelopes, enabling a very accurate emulation of 'hitting' the tape, and its compression effects.
The random gain, warmth and tone are also synced to the tape speed frequency knob, which controls the wow and flutter.

The following audio runs through some tape compression presets included, to give an idea of whats possible - the source sound is identical each time:

http://soundcloud.com/tronsonic-1/kork-m500-micro-preset-from-1

This video also demonstrates the tape effect:

I've also included a handful of my own presets, to show some examples of what's possible with this synth. The simplicity of its design is one of its most important features to me (apart from its sound), as it forces you to get creative with the controls (right click to midi assign) and really 'perform' with it.

http://soundcloud.com/tronsonic-1/kork-m500-micro-preset-from

It's been available for 20% off to Tronsonic members for a day or so, and I'm extending this until midnight on 29/6, so currently its £11.99 from my site Here

Special thanks to Steve at SYNTH MAGIC for the great scripting work and space reverb impulse response.
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear Head

Bought it! The System 1000m too.
Both sound really great.
Tsonic
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks Dennis - as I said over at Kvr, you can never have too many synths - hopefully the flavour of this one stands out a bit - I'm pretty pleased with the tape compressor effect actually - makes for some really dynamic and unusual envelope shaping....worth experimenting with to find its strengths (can be a bit confusing to grasp at first).
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie View Post
Thanks Dennis - as I said over at Kvr, you can never have too many synths - hopefully the flavour of this one stands out a bit - I'm pretty pleased with the tape compressor effect actually - makes for some really dynamic and unusual envelope shaping....worth experimenting with to find its strengths (can be a bit confusing to grasp at first).
Yes, love it!
Tsonic
26th June 2013
Old 26th June 2013
Lives for gear

Just a little bump to remind that this will go up to 15 GBP in 3 days time.
Thanks very much to those that have purchased so far.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search