IK Multimedia NEW SSL BUSS COMPRESSOR
Old 19th April 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
IK Multimedia NEW SSL BUSS COMPRESSOR

Hey Guys/Gals

As I was looking to see if there were any updates for T-Racks stuff, I came across this.

IK Multimedia | New studio processors now available in the T-RackS Custom Shop

So I had to try it. It's sounded really good. So, I did a test between all of the SSL Buss Compressor's I currently have, and well, I still think the Duende SSL beats them all.

You be the judge... Steven Slate better come with it.

Note: I pushed them very hard with a faster attack then normal and a lot more compression then I would normally do as well but reason being, I noticed that, all of them sounded very close with regular settings so, the real test is to push it but still sound like a song overall.

Here Are The Settings: +3 Attack, Auto Release, 4.1 Ratio and hitting 12db of compression.
I also did makeup gain on each plugin to get the same peak level as original track.
I will do an RMS level match as well later if wanted/needed.

Note as well: I did this in Logic Pro 9.1.8. The track was originally 16bit/44.1k so when I imported the song into Logic's Session which was 24bit/48k, it sped it up which is fine.
This is just the first Chorus of a song that my writers group (FAM) and I did. Enjoy.

Here ya go...

There is an Original track with no compression as well.

These are the SSL Plugins in shootout...

The New T-Racks - One with Grit on and one with Grit Off
SSL Duende
The Glue
Native Instruments SSL Buss Compressor
Waves SSL Buss Compressor

Listen to the Width, Depth, Front to back and which compressor keeps the sides as close as the original.

Thou there are level changes between them all, they all hit -18/-17db. Even the original.

Let me know what'cha think...

Thanx

Marc
Attached Files
File Type: wav DUET-Original.wav (7.41 MB, 498 views) File Type: wav DUET-SSL_Buss_Compressor-1.wav (7.41 MB, 299 views) File Type: wav DUET-SSL_Buss_Compressor-2.wav (7.41 MB, 187 views) File Type: wav DUET-SSL_Buss_Compressor-3.wav (7.41 MB, 167 views) File Type: wav DUET-SSL_Buss_Compressor-4.wav (7.41 MB, 151 views) File Type: wav DUET-SSL_Buss_Compressor-5.wav (7.41 MB, 147 views) File Type: wav DUET-SSL_Buss_Compressor-6.wav (7.41 MB, 176 views)
Old 19th April 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
DSpec1's Avatar
 

Thanks for the info, it actually sounds like IK wrote it?!
Old 19th April 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
RMS Files

Here are the RMS Files...
Please use the original in 1st post to A/B.

Thanks,

Marc
Attached Files
Old 19th April 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 View Post
Thanks for the info, it actually sounds like IK wrote it?!
IK wrote what? I have no affiliation with IK in no way. Just love their 1176/LA2A emu.
This one caught me by surprise thou.

Thanks,

Marc
1
Old 19th April 2013
  #5
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 

thks for the effort M2E ..
Old 19th April 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
SWAN808's Avatar
cant hear much in it in this test...Maybe I like 2 best...usually I listen out for the way they clamp down on drum transients but they are not that big here...
Old 19th April 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
thks for the effort M2E ..
Thanks,

Marc
Old 19th April 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
cant hear much in it in this test...Maybe I like 2 best...usually I listen out for the way they clamp down on drum transients but they are not that big here...
Were you responding to the Peak version or the RMS version?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 19th April 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
SWAN808's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Were you responding to the Peak version or the RMS version?

Thanks,

Marc
I tried both but A/Bed the RMS in my sequencer. Thanks for the test - just not sure I could hear much but it could be me...
Old 19th April 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I tried both but A/Bed the RMS in my sequencer. Thanks for the test - just not sure I could hear much but it could be me...
Yeah, they all have a similar quality.
Some are thinner then others but not by much as you can see.
I'm really pushing all of these compressors pretty hard.

Only way to tell which one will fold under pressure.

I like the IK one but, it's not a must have too me. It's too similar to the Waves one to me. It's cool that it has a HPF side-chain, similar to the Glue.

Love the look of it. The demo doesn't last long enough for me to try it on an live session. I have one but, it's not mixed yet.
The demo period is utterly ridiculous and was part of the reason I didn't get their Channel one. Didn't have the time to do proper A/B'ing like this.

Oh well. Waiting on the Slate plugin. Hopefully, Steven see's this and puts his plugin against these.

By the way, just out of curiosity, which one do you think is number 2?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 19th April 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Old 19th April 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Hhhmm, have you tried them already?
Have you listened to the files.
Is this boring you?
Trying to figured out why you waisted your time adding this?

Thanks anyway,

Marc
1
Old 19th April 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
SWAN808's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Yeah, they all have a similar quality.
Some are thinner then others but not by much as you can see.
I'm really pushing all of these compressors pretty hard.

Only way to tell which one will fold under pressure.

I like the IK one but, it's not a must have too me. It's too similar to the Waves one to me. It's cool that it has a HPF side-chain, similar to the Glue.

Love the look of it. The demo doesn't last long enough for me to try it on an live session. I have one but, it's not mixed yet.
The demo period is utterly ridiculous and was part of the reason I didn't get their Channel one. Didn't have the time to do proper A/B'ing like this.

Oh well. Waiting on the Slate plugin. Hopefully, Steven see's this and puts his plugin against these.

By the way, just out of curiosity, which one do you think is number 2?

Thanks,

Marc
I doubt any one of them will fold because they are all decent enough models...I find it easier to hear the differences when I throw more bassy and heavier transients at them...then you can hear how they grab at different timings....

not sure this source material is ideal if Im honest but Im just a lowly dude so maybe others can benefit...

No idea which number 2 is to be honest...from my tests I tend to like the UAD 4k, The Glue and to a slightly lesser degree Duende. In that order. Then as you crank up the GR the hardware tends to be preferable...

If you are on Mac check out the Logical 2 bus compressor by Airwindows...I quite like it...

Yes worth watching out for VBC also...
Old 19th April 2013
  #14
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

If no one would mind, i'll toss the original through FG-GREY and post.

Cheers,
Steven
2
Old 19th April 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
DSpec1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
IK wrote what? I have no affiliation with IK in no way. Just love their 1176/LA2A emu.
This one caught me by surprise thou.

Thanks,

Marc
I'm sorry, just giving you a hard time. Thanks for the efforts!

Old 19th April 2013
  #16
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
If no one would mind, i'll toss the original through FG-GREY and post.

Cheers,
Steven
I for one would really appreciate to hear your grey
Old 19th April 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
If no one would mind, i'll toss the original through FG-GREY and post.

Cheers,
Steven
Let's do this .
Old 19th April 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
fragletrollet's Avatar
echoplex? lust.
Old 19th April 2013
  #19
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
If no one would mind, i'll toss the original through FG-GREY and post.

Cheers,
Steven
+1
Old 19th April 2013
  #20
Gear addict
 
MatzeMillion's Avatar
 

listened to the RMS files

1 a little hard, woody sounding
2 crisp and wide
3 sound widest (too wide. ms-enhanced in the lower mids?) and does strange things to the kick
4 sounds small, obvious pumping
5 eats the voice
6 dark like 4, but not bad

2 is indeed not bad but I'd also consider 6 for this example. with other examples it will be completely different…
Old 19th April 2013
  #21
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
If no one would mind, i'll toss the original through FG-GREY and post.

Cheers,
Steven
Do it!

do you need beta testers for vbc?
Old 19th April 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
If no one would mind, i'll toss the original through FG-GREY and post.

Cheers,
Steven
Ah, love to hear it. Please make sure that you do 12db of compression and the RMS is -23.9db
Peak is -15

Love to hear what this would do.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 19th April 2013
  #23
www.KevWestBeats.com
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Can't wait to sit down and play with this guy
Old 19th April 2013
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Listened only to the first post versions.

The 3 sounds best to me (but maybe the loudness is fooling me). Followed by 2.
1
Old 19th April 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 

2 and 3 sound best, a bit louder but I compensated...5 sounds worst.
Old 19th April 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Perhaps there's a lot of difference between what an older G compressor sounds like and my XLogic bus compressor, but the latter doesn't have any 'grit'. It's in fact superclean.
Old 19th April 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I doubt any one of them will fold because they are all decent enough models...I find it easier to hear the differences when I throw more bassy and heavier transients at them...then you can hear how they grab at different timings....

not sure this source material is ideal if Im honest but Im just a lowly dude so maybe others can benefit...

No idea which number 2 is to be honest...from my tests I tend to like the UAD 4k, The Glue and to a slightly lesser degree Duende. In that order. Then as you crank up the GR the hardware tends to be preferable...

If you are on Mac check out the Logical 2 bus compressor by Airwindows...I quite like it...

Yes worth watching out for VBC also...
Logical2 from Airwindows sounds amazing - better than a plugin can sound
Old 19th April 2013
  #28
Gear addict
 
DrAudioBot's Avatar
 

This thread almost belongs to the "shootout" section
Old 19th April 2013
  #29
Gear maniac
 

How many SSL Bus compressor plugins needs this world?

I really dont get it! Wouldnt be a API 2500 or sth like that more.....
Old 19th April 2013
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaci View Post
How many SSL Bus compressor plugins needs this world?

I really dont get it! Wouldnt be a API 2500 or sth like that more.....
We need at least one more SSL emulation (VBC) then we can call it a day.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.