Musikmesse: SPL CRIMSON - USB Audio-Interface and Monitor Controller
Old 9th April 2013
News Desk Editor

Musikmesse: SPL CRIMSON - USB Audio-Interface and Monitor Controller

CRIMSON
USB Audio-Interface and Monitor Controller - Professional sound at an incredible price

With or without DAW
The Crimson is designed to operate with your Digital Audio Workstation. But you can also do a lot with it as stand-alone device: plug in an instrument and play. Connect a microphone and sing along.

Mix your own monitor signal with playback or guide tracks from any source – including your smartphone. Not bad what you are playing? Turn on the DAW and record it.

A new concept for a new value
At SPL we design audio equipment in all price ranges – except cheap gear. Therefore, each SPL unit provides professional quality. The Crimson goes ahead now and sets a new sound quality benchmark in its price range: we have re-designed proven circuitries and created a new, fully integrated design. Together with new production methods we break through common price limits.

So with the Crimson interface and controller you get a boutique level recording and monitoring device at a fraction of the price we used to know from traditional engineering and manufacturing.

Special Features
  • 30 I/O channels (10 recording channels and 20 playback channels)
  • +/- 18V operational voltage for professional levels up to +24dB
  • Two boutique level, discrete Class A, +/-30V high-voltage mic-preamplifiers
  • Two Hi-Z instrument preamplifiers
  • Two separate headphones amps, individually controllable
  • Connect and control two stereo speaker sets
  • Monitor signal mix function for playback and recording paths
  • MIDI input and output via two DIN sockets
  • USB 2.0, S/P-DIF input and output
  • 24Bit/192kHz converter
  • Made in Germany
  • RRP €549.00 EURO (including German VAT) / $725.00 USD
  • Availability scheduled for July 2013.

Link : In Short: Sound Performance Lab
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse: SPL CRIMSON - USB Audio-Interface and Monitor Controller-rimson_rueck_zeichnung_1500.jpg  
Old 10th April 2013
Gear nut

I wonder if this will affect 2Control price in any way...
Old 10th April 2013
I love SPL. They're always keeping it classy.
Old 10th April 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

all i want is a racking option for my 2 control ...!!!!
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Head

It does indeed look classy.

It's starting to bug me that companies will increasingly post absolutely every possible port as an "i" and/or an "o". It's as though they should be counting knobs as well so the device would be 18 inputs and meters so it would be 24 outputs. This shouldn't really be a critique of SPL in particular as they are only one of many. I just read the initial spec sheet and thought "cool, they must have toslink adat or some kind of breakout cable to get the full i/o" and then was somewhat disappointed.

Still a great option for those looking for a little more than straight ahead stereo i/o.
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

HMM this has my interest but I;m sure I read it was cheaper - like around the $500 or $450 USD. I;m not quite so exited now. Ive got an SPL 2 MC and a 2882. If I was going recording away from my place this would be a no brainer. A worthy competitor to the ULN2 perhaps? Minus the DSP of course
Old 10th April 2013
Super Moderator

OP Updated!
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

dont really get the IO spec...30 IO?

Looks like a 4 input with 2 monitor output and spdif...
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

Are the AD/DA converters the same as the ones in Madison?
Old 10th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
+1
Old 10th April 2013
Swimming with nanoprobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
all i want is a racking option for my 2 control ...!!!!

On a more serious note, I was surprised that the 2Control didn't come with a rack mounting kit included. Apart from that, I really like it.
Old 10th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 View Post

On a more serious note, I was surprised that the 2Control didn't come with a rack mounting kit included. Apart from that, I really like it.
for real atleast one model rack mounted ..they made several monitors/headphone controller and not one rack mounted ....

i'm going Dangerous just for that ....shame ...i already have good convertor and just want monitor controls ...
Old 10th April 2013
Swimming with nanoprobes

Quote:
for real atleast one model rack mounted ..they made several monitors/headphone controller and not one rack mounted ....

i'm going Dangerous just for that ....shame ...i already have good convertor and just want monitor controls ...
Feature set's great for me though, so I simply made room for it. And on a positive note, the rack space I had my former controller in won't stay empty for long.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

Need something to replace my ageing emu 1616m and this could be it.

Have also been sizing up the new ones from Drawmer and Audient.

Excellent price point and feature set from SPL.

Cheers
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

Need something to replace my ageing emu 1616m and this could be it.

Have also been sizing up the new ones from Drawmer and Audient.

Excellent price point and feature set from SPL.

Cheers
Old 11th April 2013
Gear nut

Yep. Once again a nice looking machine from SPL. Vid demo from Musikmesse...
Old 11th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Any info on this yet?
Old 11th April 2013
Gear maniac

Looks like a direct competitor for the Steinberg UR28M.

I wonder what the converter and driver quality (i.e. latency) will be.
Old 11th April 2013
New from SPl at messe 2013

Madison MADI / 16 AD and DA converter
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse: SPL CRIMSON - USB Audio-Interface and Monitor Controller-imageuploadedbygearslutz1365683137.264224.jpg   Musikmesse: SPL CRIMSON - USB Audio-Interface and Monitor Controller-imageuploadedbygearslutz1365683217.476924.jpg  
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Crimson USB audio interface & monitor controller
.. and yet again the promising concept falls flat due to no built in talk-back facility. Why on earth do they leave out such a cheap and simple thing? It's the SSL fiasco all over again.. except this piece of equipment doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 12th April 2013
In the fleisch...
Attached Thumbnails
Musikmesse: SPL CRIMSON - USB Audio-Interface and Monitor Controller-imageuploadedbygearslutz1365761375.051825.jpg  
Old 13th April 2013

Whitecat : have you compared it to the Audient ?

have you tried also sterssing it a liitle to check drivers reliability (as well as the audient) ... i really don't like/feel monitoring controller that do interfaces also ....i don't see myself using this instead of my RME or VS 700 ...
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

I've been evaluating the new interface ad/da monitor controllers from SPL, Audient and Drawmer and so far SPL is in front for me for both features and price.

Cheers
Old 13th April 2013
Gear maniac

Prototype

They explained me that it is a prototype.

And the final version will be measured in June/Juli.... i´m not sure about the timeline right now....
Old 13th April 2013
Gear maniac

Audient

Ah and on the Audient interface was sth written about 117db pristine 24/96 converters....

I could not ask and i dont know what this means.

Old 13th April 2013
Quote:
Whitecat : have you compared it to the Audient ?

have you tried also sterssing it a liitle to check drivers reliability (as well as the audient) ... i really don't like/feel monitoring controller that do interfaces also ....i don't see myself using this instead of my RME or VS 700 ...
I'm afraid the Crimson wasn't "live" - no DAW connected - at least not when I saw it. As mentioned, it's likely a prototype...
Old 13th April 2013

Thks ...i will try to get one to try with Jukebox ...
Old 14th April 2013
Lives for gear

I was speaking with the guys yesterday and one thing that made me want to get it was the fact that the preamps are the same as the solid state part of the gainstation. I really like the gain station
Old 14th April 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
I was speaking with the guys yesterday and one thing that made me want to get it was the fact that the preamps are the same as the solid state part of the gainstation. I really like the gain station
Agreed! As others, just wondering about the quality of the converters and when it will be available
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

If you read the thread from the beginning to end you will notice that the 1st one from SPL says available in July.

725 usd.

Cant speculate on the quality of the convertors.

Cheers
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search