New Reply
Subscribe
The Press Desk
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
News Desk Editor

Musikmesse: Nord Lead 4 & Nord Lead 4R Announced

Clavia Nord Lead 4 official information
With innovative new performance features, advanced layering and synchronization possibilities, new filter types and on-board effects, the Nord Lead 4 is a synthesizer dream come true.

Nord Lead 4 is a 4-part multi-timbral synthesizer sporting a brand new 2-oscillator virtual analog sound engine with 2x oversampling. In addition to the classic analog waveforms there's a Wavetable mode with unique new Formant Wavetables. Frequency Modulation and Hard/Soft sync options are available for mutilating your sound further and the True Voice Unison mode can stack up to four oscillators per voice for really thick, beefy leads and pads.

The filter section boasts Low Pass (12/24dB), High Pass, and Band Pass filters and also stunning new simulations of two transistor and diode ladder filters capturing the squeaky, dirty character of the originals. A dedicated filter overdrive can distort your sound before it passes through the effect section.

The new Variation buttons let you override almost any parameter of the synthesizer, instantaneously. Ever wanted to change LFO speed, Modulation routings and reverb amount - all at once, in the middle of a sound? With the Nord Lead 4 you can! With 7 assignable variations per program Nord Lead 4 gives you creative freedom to warp and improvise your sound live, both rhythmically and sonically and thanks to the Master Clock Synchronization, it can be done in perfect sync to other layers or an external MIDI Clock.

All 4 slots have dedicated effect sections with delay, reverb, tube amp simulated overdrive, a Talk effect modelled after a vocal tract and a sample rate reducing Crush effect.

The Nord Lead 4 is also available as a Tabletop/Rack version, the Nord Lead 4R.

Key features
  • 4-part multi-timbral with 4 separate outs.
  • 2-Oscillator Virtual Analog Subtractive synthesis with Frequency Modulation, Hard and Soft Sync and True Voice Unison.
  • Morph and Variation performance controls.
  • Wavetable synthesis, including unique Formant Wavetables.
  • 12/24 dB Low-pass, High-pass, Band-pass filters section plus transistor and diode ladder filter simulations.
  • 2 LFO/Arpeggiator sections and Mod Env section with flexible routing possibilities.
  • LFO, Arpeggiator and Delay can be synchronized to the Master Clock (or external MIDI-Clock).
  • Crush, Talk and Distortion, Reverb, Delay effects (available per slot)
  • 2x oversampled sound engine.
  • 49-key velocity sensitive keyboard (C-C) (Not Nord Lead 4R).
  • USB MIDI.

Nord Lead 4 shipping May 2013.
Nord Lead 4R shipping in August 2013.

Link : Nord Lead 4 - Performance Synthesizer
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
News Desk Editor

Nord Lead 4R - Tabletop/Rack versio

8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Good
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Very Good!
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

I hate to slay things off, but this is SERIOUSLY boring and just shows a severe lack of any imagination or understanding of what long term customers want
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Well it sure looks like a Nord Lead.. it doesn't seem to be very revolutionary. They say they've rebuilt the sound engine, but to me it still very much sounds like a NL.. which is good i suppose. A few new filter models, some more options on the osc section, effects.. it's all nice, but for me it's not enough to excite me to the extend that i WANT it in exchange for my trusty old NL2R.

The knobs seem a little crowdy.. they have all this real estate on the keyboard.. couldn't it have been laid out a bit more spaceously and less cluttered? lol..

Anyway.. i'd have to play this irl to see what it's really all about.. it sure still looks pretty enough, and judging from the demo's it sounds pretty good too! Still no aftertouch though, it seems!
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Too sad!! NL3 was the best user interface of all synths i've ever seen!! And I saw the all

And now... NO ROTARY CONTROLLER KNOBS!!!!
They made a huge step back. I'm off
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear interested

I'm really, really disappointed in this Lead. It should have had sample playing functionality, being everything that the Wave should've been in the first place. Also, the omission of EQ is striking. And the persistance of the silly digit screen, which is a sad alternative to a proper LED screen and complicates live performance, is just daft.

Not enough material in there to justify the hype or a new model. Not liking Nord business strategy here.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear maniac

Not bad, but it's not replacing my NL2X any time soon. I guess we can look at this the same way we look at a new guitar coming out. Still a guitar, just improved for the next generation of musicians. I guess this is the best way to keep the original Nord Leads in the mainstream. I guess. Mildly.
Sort of looks like the Virus market is pushing this classic out of new kids setups, and they needed a more "Virusy" synth to stay up to par. I love my NL2X but if find alot of people think it sounds cheesy and old, but mostly people that arent musicians. If people are over and they want me to show them the nord, they find it corny sounding sometimes. I can easily impress them by just letting the minitaur do some filter "wubbing" and it wows the simpler folk. Nord is a misunderstood beast at times.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear maniac

Biggest improvement *allegedly* would be the Master Sync Clock, if this works as mentioned, then perhaps we have a deal gentlemen.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear addict

I'm too dumb to find any info about how many max voices this thing has
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

Was really looking forward to this announcement - as a keen NL3 and Wave user.

Feeling a bit underwhelmed. Like the clock, wavetable, variation and FX changes...

But lots of whys too?

Why cut back on the FM side, no PM, no inverted envelopes, no comb or multi-mode filters, limited osc mod options, numeric only screen...? Not to mention rotaries and samples.

Too much dubstep twiddling, not enough synthesis.

And the sound demos are mostly terrible - some great moving sounds amongst them, but why all that dance-cheese?

Maybe the P12 goes back to the top of the wish list..
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Wooden sides, really?

I'm sure others will be creaming in their pants over them, but these days it just seems like hokey marketing shlock to me to put wooden end cheeks on synths.

LOOK WE'RE T3H ANAL0Gz!
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Awesome

I'm glad they have a tabletop/rack version.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear nut

too expensive
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear OCD

Send a message via AIM to _Mark
Are the prices the same? I almost bought a Nord rack for Christmas... glad I didn't.
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
too expensive
Not if you actually know the company
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

Not so impressed by demos. Too much wannabe original 80's sound. I think this synth has much more to offer than this crap.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

To say that this is underwhelming would be an understatement. All these years and this is the best they can do? Really?
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear maniac

USB MIDI?? WTF, not going to be able to use that. LFO clock Sync, believe it when you see it!!
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

Thank God Clavia isnt going to pay attention on this thread.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to Mario-C.
If they released a Modular G3 then I'd be interested ...
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear maniac

did they mention prices anywhere?

From front panel pics it looks like the only difference between KBD and Rack version is the absence of Stick & Mod Wheel on the Rack version. Wonder if there are any other differences in terms of outputs etc...

Saw this elsewhere:
Nord Lead 4: Shipping May 2013, 1,849 EURO/ £1549
Nord Lead 4R: Shipping August 2013, 1,649 EURO/ £TBC
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear maniac

Wondering if Access will come out with something new
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear maniac

USB Midi....do they actually mean there are no standard midi ports on this? If that is the case I'm not even going to bother to test drive this. USB midi is nice for one keyboard in your setup but not for more - With all these ilock, syncrosoft and other keys, external back up drives, monitor and midi keyboard controller and midi interface I have just 1 more USB available. And that is with an additional USB card installed!

I got a midi interface to deal with the midi hardware lol - nice and simple and like to keep it that way.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

There's midi in and out shown on the main keyboard photo.
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
There's midi in and out shown on the main keyboard photo.
Damn, I missed that! Time for another energy drink here ha ha ha
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress View Post
at 1800 euro, the p12 kind of eats this alive in terms of value for money. the only feature it has over the p12 is the multitimbral specs.
The prophet 12 is about £450 pounds more but yes it may reveal to be a better proposition, will need to hear/read more about both
9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

9th April 2013
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Totally want, real shame about after touch though.

Distortion sounds so so as it always has with Nord
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search