Login / Register

GAS Sigma 500 Rev B! Passive mode added!
New Reply
Subscribe
GAS
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear Head

Hardware GAS Sigma 500 Rev B! Passive mode added!

Hello Gearslutters,

Sigma 500 Rev B has been released! What is the difference? A 3rd mode has been added called Passive Mode which allows you to use any rack mount or table top preamps!

In passive mode, the summing circuitry gets isolated from the rest of the electronics. The output of the summing portion gets connected straight to the output XLR jacks. That way if you wanted to use any preamp you own, not just the 500 series compatible preamps, as the summing amps you can.

How do you get to passive mode? You just turn the unit off! The circuitry makes all the required connections and the Sigma 500 is no longer using power.

Check out the website for more info: www.recordingwithgas.com

-George
13th April 2013
Old 13th April 2013
Gear maniac

Shocked to see this not getting much love. For engineers looking to sum, this has got to be one of the better choices out there. Maybe adding a feature to mono each channel would entice the masses and most likely make this units feature set hard to beat.
16th April 2013
Old 16th April 2013
Gear addict

if i only want to use 8, 16, or 24 channels for summing, do the unused inputs need to be connected for the summing network to work correctly? (Be it turned on or off)

Es ist nicht kaputt, es klingt nur so.
GAS
16th April 2013
Old 16th April 2013
Gear Head

Hi rrraaalllfff,
You can use as few number of channels as you'd like. You can do stereo or 32 channels and it doesn't change the functioning.
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

I was turned off by the lack of mono switching, until I finally RTFM on my 3rd visit to the site. George, you may want to put a note on the product page to review the manual for setting up mono tracks and sample set ups (nice idea). In order to save on the number of channels used on my DAC to feed the Sigma 500, could I use Y split patch cables at the patchbay instead of using 2 channels per mono track?

I'm considering getting a Sigma 500 and several CAPI VP28 DBLs. I'd like to use the VP28s for tracking, and then run through them again (in Line mode) before hitting the Sigma during mixing. Make-up gain would be provided by the CAPIs too. Sort of like a poor man's API board, minus the faders, pans, auxes, and EQs, all of which would be handled ITB.

Stu
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Head

Hi Stu,
I'm glad the sample setups are finding some use. Unfortunately the y cable doesn't work out well because it provides a short from the left channel to the right. That increases crosstalk dramatically. When designing the Sigma 500, the y cable is one thing I had tried and found it to be no good.

When you use a pair of d/a outputs, it utilizes two different active stages in your d/a that are isolated from each other. That keeps the stereo width/sound stage as wide as possible.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search