You Be The Pro - New Interactive iBook For Pro Tools Users
poly915
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Post You Be The Pro - New Interactive iBook For Pro Tools Users

Greetings!
My name is Paul DeCarli and I'm a twenty year veteran Pro Tools Editor. I've just released the first volume of my interactive iBook series for iPad called "You Be The Pro In Pro Tools". Volume 1 is titled "Top Twenty Tips" and is now available in the iBookstore. It is a collection of instructional videos for intermediate to advanced Pro Tools users focusing on improving editing speed and workflow efficiency.
The iBook is priced at just $3.99 USD. For those who want to "try before you buy", there is also a free sample version available with the first three chapters in their entirety as well as two of the video tips.

Click here to check it out at the iBookstore and for the price of a fancy coffee, let me show you some of my most useful Pro Tools tips.

Cheers!

Paul DeCarli

pauldecarli.com
YouBeThePro.com
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Thumbs up awesome!

Paul, first off congrats on the release of your Ebook! this format is badass and after having purchased it and watching the videos and reading you intro i have a new found respect for you...this is quite well done and refreshing for something that can potentially be but isn't boring even for a second in the way you set it up. The most important part though and one which you nailed is the actual material..pure gold. Lots of things in there i already use daily but really great tricks and also about 15 % which i never use and or thought about and now use daily and is saving me a tons of time. I think users of any level but gain something ( or tons) from this Ebook. At 3.99 it's a freaking steal. For me it was worth about 400-500 bucks based on time saved in the long run... Paul is a humble dude but check his site to see some of the stuff that he has worked on , edited etc..dude is probably the best in the game as far as editing goes.

Disclaimer. I have no connection to paul or this ebook. just a fan and i appreciate what paul does and this Ebook is a steal..check it out..

thanks paul for putting this out !
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut

Hey Paul. Looks interesting. Is it iPad only?

Thanks,
Stone
poly915
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewalters View Post
Hey Paul. Looks interesting. Is it iPad only?
Yes, I'm afraid that it is currently only available on iPad. I decided to produce the series for iPad on iBooks for several reasons; the main two reasons being the low cost of production and the high quality of the final product.

I have not completely ruled out expanding the series to other formats, but as it will involve higher development and production costs, I'll have to wait and see what the demand is on each platform.

If you would like to be notified of future volumes and any possible expansion to other platforms,
please email me to get on the notification list at YouBeThePro [at] gmail [dot] com

You can also "Like" You Be The Pro on Facebook to follow what's going on at http://www.facebook.com/YouBeThePro
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Having had the pleasure to work in such close proximity with Paul (we occupied Bay 7 Studios for quite a few years), I am excited to check out his new ibook. The sheer amount of knowledge and skill Paul possesses is amazing, and his Protools expertise is unrivaled. Its been a great pleasure to learn from him in the past and Im looking forward to learning more from him in the future.

All the best Pauli!!!
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by poly915 View Post
Yes, I'm afraid that it is currently only available on iPad. I decided to produce the series for iPad on iBooks for several reasons; the main two reasons being the low cost of production and the high quality of the final product.

I have not completely ruled out expanding the series to other formats, but as it will involve higher development and production costs, I'll have to wait and see what the demand is on each platform.

If you would like to be notified of future volumes and any possible expansion to other platforms,
please email me to get on the notification list at YouBeThePro [at] gmail [dot] com

You can also "Like" You Be The Pro on Facebook to follow what's going on at http://www.facebook.com/YouBeThePro
Thanks Paul. Will do.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

I wonder why they don't make them so you can read them on your laptop?

I guess it's simply to sell more iPads?

Hmmm.

Anyway, congrats, Paul. I'm going to let some of my iPad-owning buddies know about this...!
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear maniac

Would love to see this available on iPhone. At any rate, good luck to you with this book. Looks like a great resource for Pro Tools users.
poly915
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwatrif View Post
Would love to see this available on iPhone.
I'm not sure why the iBook isn't compatible with the iPhone by default, but in the end I'm kind of glad it isn't. The videos would be so small on the iPhone, much of the detail of what I'm illustrating would be lost. Even on the iPad I've needed to zoom the demonstration in parts to make sure the content was easily viewable.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut
Quote:
I'm not sure why the iBook isn't compatible with the iPhone by default, but in the end I'm kind of glad it isn't. The videos would be so small on the iPhone, much of the detail of what I'm illustrating would be lost. Even on the iPad I've needed to zoom the demonstration in parts to make sure the content was easily viewable.
Shame, would probably check it out if it was. I'm guessing it wouldn't be any worse than watching YouTube on the iPhone
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Barresi View Post
Having had the pleasure to work in such close proximity with Paul (we occupied Bay 7 Studios for quite a few years), I am excited to check out his new ibook. The sheer amount of knowledge and skill Paul possesses is amazing, and his Protools expertise is unrivaled. Its been a great pleasure to learn from him in the past and Im looking forward to learning more from him in the future.

All the best Pauli!!!
I agree with Joe - Paul is one of the original ProTools jedi / ninja / illuminati and I've seen him do otherworldly things with PT. This book is a must-have for anyone looking to ascend to the next level of the priesthood!
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut

Just had as thought...as it was created in iBook can it be read/access on a Mac?
poly915
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Just had as thought...as it was created in iBook can it be read/access on a Mac?
Nope. Sorry. iPad running iOS 5.1 or better with iBook app 3.0 or better.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Nope. Sorry. iPad running iOS 5.1 or better with iBook app 3.0 or better.
I will now have to be especially kind to all my friends with iPads and volunteer to look after it for them!
poly915
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
I will now have to be especially kind to all my friends with iPads and volunteer to look after it for them!
You can also go to an Apple store and download the sample version of the book on one of their demo iPads and read it / view the 2 free videos right there in the store.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
You can also go to an Apple store and download the sample version of the book on one of their demo iPads and read it / view the 2 free videos right there in the store.
I'm already plotting!!!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear maniac

This is the biggest no brainer purchase I've ever made......keep 'em coming!
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks Paul this is fantastic, just been wondering about why someone hadn't made something like this!

TH
RiF
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
My Apple TV would be happy to beam the video right from my iPhone on to my TV screen.

Nevertheless, I checked out the free version on a friend's iPad and this will be one of my day-1 purchases as soon as I've talked myself into an iPad (I'm close...). Well done, Paul!
And now I have to go upstairs to see if those great free tips work on my PT9 rig :-).
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Got it last night, only drag is it doesn't act right when you go to pinch it to make it larger, and there's not the normal option for changing font size or background....at least on the sample that was sent.

I haven't looked or tried the actual app yet, will try it tonight.

TH
poly915
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
...it doesn't act right when you go to pinch it to make it larger, and there's not the normal option for changing font size or background...
From what I understand, the option to change font size and background is only available in standard ePub books. The enhanced nature of the interactive books removes these options so that formatting, positioning, and page numbering remains consistent.
If you find the text too small to read, perhaps you can benefit from the Accessibility settings on the iPad.
Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom

Hope this helps,

Paul
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what I understand, the option to change font size and background is only available in standard ePub books. The enhanced nature of the interactive books removes these options so that formatting, positioning, and page numbering remains consistent.
If you find the text too small to read, perhaps you can benefit from the Accessibility settings on the iPad.
Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Zoom

Hope this helps,

Paul
Thanks Paul, it's not too small, I've just gotten used to squeezing the pad slightly at times and didn't know about the difference between the ePub books. I also like the dark background you can have on standard ebooks.

The two sample videos were great, I immediately learned something new...(the way to add a favorite to the top of the menu)....bought it immediately

TH
poly915
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
...The two sample videos were great, I immediately learned something new...(the way to add a favorite to the top of the menu)....bought it immediately...
So glad you like it! If you have the chance, please leave a favorable review and rating on the iBookstore - it's the second best thing to high praise on gearslutz.com
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
So glad you like it! If you have the chance, please leave a favorable review and rating on the iBookstore - it's the second best thing to high praise on gearslutz.com
Just did. Look forward to the next installment....keep 'em coming!

TH
poly915
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Head

For any of you who are interested in viewing the iBook videos on your Apple TV, you need to know that only way to do this is with iPad mirroring. I've written up instructions on how to get this working here.
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear nut

I've had the pleasure of learning a lot from Paul and he's definitely "the" go-to guy when it comes to ProTools editing. Sure there are a hundred ways to skin a cat, but Paul's tried all of them and only kept the best, most efficient techniques and workflows. I've been arm-wrestling with ProTools for over 10 years and he still shows me stuff that I'd never thought of. Pretty awesome of him to now share his tricks with the world!!!

C.Baseford
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Head

Bought!.

11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks! Great to have something like this, especially at such a fair price. Hope you have many more coming!
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

I was fortunate to bump into Paul at NAMM this year where he was able to quickly show me his new ibook, 'You be the Pro'.

I had long thought that someone should integrate both print and video for instructional purposes and there low and behold it was on Paul's ipad. I finally had a chance to review Paul's ibook in full this week and I have to say that it is among the most effective learning tools I have ever come across.

Like many of you, I have purchased countless audio engineering books and DVD's over the years but nothing comes close to having both print and video seamlessly integrated together like in 'You be the Pro'. Paul is a great educator and a legendary PT editor - the mix of the two is very powerful.

When you take into account the cost...$3.99!!!.... this is an absolute no brainer if you want to know anything editing in Pro Tools from the best. Not sure why he is charging so little but I can assure I would have gladly paid alot more. Do yourself a favour and check it out.
poly915
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Head

Thanks to True North and everyone else here for such kind words and glowing reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
Not sure why he is charging so little but I can assure I would have gladly paid alot more.
In all honesty, I truly want to share my knowledge and I don't want anyone to feel like they didn't get a great deal. I wanted to make this a "no brainer" as several of you have called it, as well as a quality product.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search