New Reply
Subscribe
Kazrog
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to Kazrog
Software PluginUpdate - Mac beta available now

PluginUpdate - the free app that keeps your plugins up to date - is finally available. The Mac beta launched today, and the Windows beta will launch in a few weeks. Download the beta here.

Thanks to the GearSlutz community for a lot of early positive feedback and suggestions. You guys rock!

PS - feel free to post beta feedback here. I'll check this thread pretty often.
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

cool, thx for this!
seems to work pretty well so far.
some small things:

1. the password-criteria are a big letdown for me. due to them i had to choose a password i will forget soon. i really like to have the same password for most "not important" things. i know, this isn't that clever at all and i can sent my passowrd if forgotten but i'd still like to use my favourite password (as this is no bankaccount or whatever)

2. psp "pianoverb" is recognized with version 1.2 although i have 1.71 (which is listed as latest version).

3. for voxengo "overtone geq" i have version 1.10 which is also the latest version on the website of voxengo and on kvraudio.com. pluginupdate tells me there is a version 1.7 somewhere.

4. for voxengo "msed" i have version 2.2, latest is 2.3. and on the voxengo-website it's even 2.4.

5. camel audio "camel crusher" is listed ca. 20 times for every format

all problems on an macbook os 10.7.5 with audiounits (also use vst but not that much).

i don't know where you get the information from so there's some room left for improvement
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Thanks for the feedback! The database is constantly being updated and adapting over time, so results will be far more accurate in the near future.

As for the password requirements - we take security VERY seriously. Later this year, we will launch the PluginUpdate Store, so we definitely don't want anyone's accounts being hacked.
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

ok, thx.
didn't know about your future plans yet. if you have a store then a save password is of course important. right now it's "just" a really helpful nice program with (in my opinion) no requirement for an account/password at all.

oh and it even shows lots of already deleted plugins (when i switched to 64bit) as installed.
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Hmm, there's no way it can possibly show deleted plugins. Every time you hit "scan," it re-scans your plugin folders (configured in Preferences under Paths.)
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013

I came on this thread to complain (constructively) about the password criteria, but I see someone beat me to it. I find this thing very annoying, because it means that every time I log in I'm going to have to press "I forgot my password"

I haven't used the program yet, I've only signed up..

cheers

matt
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013

The screen is bigger than what can fit on my 13" mac book, when the osx dock (or whatever it is called) is visible, and it's not draggable (this maybe because I can't see the whole window)

My screen is 1280 x 800 according to "about this mac"

matt

ps. its been 5 minutes, and I haven't gotten my verification email yet. Perhaps have people enter their email twice in case they get it wrong? I have no idea if I got mine wrong just now, but I t haven't gotten the verification email, so I can't use the program. I'll continue waiting.

pps. make that 10 minutes..

ppps. I see in the preferences that I have entered my email correctly, so it's just a matter of waiting. I also noted that the fields in my profile didn't populate until I clicked on "paths" and then went back to "profile" the first time.
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Just so everyone knows: the password is saved on your hard drive, so you don't have to manually log in every time. Check your spam folder if you don't see the verification email - they should go out instantly.

Thanks for the info on the window size, probably too tall. You can try hitting the zoom gadget, and you can also resize the window from any corner under Lion / Mountain Lion.

Again, I massively appreciate the beta feedback, thanks again!
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013

Sorry, yes it was in my spam folder. That was obvious, doh!

And yes I can resize it. Its a little finicky though because I only can see a very small part of the corner on my screen at the standard window size, the rest is off the screen.

matt

ps. It seems that none of my hundreds of plugins are up to date (this is probably correct, my laptop is not my main DAW), it would be lovely to be able to say "update them all for me", but for now it is helpful just to be able to check what needs updating together with links to the appropriate site.

pps. As far as the password goes, perhaps explain the requirements on the page where you choose a password. At the moment (from memory) you need to chose an unacceptable password before you get told the requirements.
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear maniac

Thumbs up

Sorting does not seem to work. Quite useful so far, btw.
Thanks.
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear maniac

Howdy.
Version checker and plug store.
Love the idea...

Im trying to add my waves plugs. Not much luck. Im a PT's user, and ive selected the folder applications/waves/wavesplugins. the selected rtas/tdm...

Guess not the right folder. Any ideas?

Cheers
Dave
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

How does it get the latest versions numbers? It looks like most plugins latest versions are only betas.
It's happening with iZotope, Cytomic, Kush Audio, Massey, T-Racks for example

Great idea BTW! Thanks for making it!
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog View Post
Thanks for the feedback! The database is constantly being updated and adapting over time, so results will be far more accurate in the near future.

As for the password requirements - we take security VERY seriously. Later this year, we will launch the PluginUpdate Store, so we definitely don't want anyone's accounts being hacked.
Agreed, the password criteria is a major pain. I can't imagine why there would be a need for high security on this? Captchas, etc. Ugh.

Also is reporting Toontrack product updates incorrectly, I am using the most current versions and it says I am not.

OTOH, this is a great product and we have needed something like it for a long time.

TH
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
I came on this thread to complain (constructively) about the password criteria, but I see someone beat me to it. I find this thing very annoying, because it means that every time I log in I'm going to have to press "I forgot my password"

I haven't used the program yet, I've only signed up..

cheers

matt
Agreed. Solution is to buy 1Password though

TH
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
...it would be lovely to be able to say "update them all for me", but for now it is helpful just to be able to check what needs updating together with links to the appropriate site.
A magic "update them all" button is one of the primary goals of PluginUpdate, actually. Getting there will require developer participation (as you might imagine), which is in the works as we speak.

Quote:
pps. As far as the password goes, perhaps explain the requirements on the page where you choose a password. At the moment (from memory) you need to chose an unacceptable password before you get told the requirements.
If you hover the mouse over the password field, you get the password guidelines in the tooltip. Of course, it would probably be clearer if the password guidelines were visually present at all times in the signup dialog. This has been noted. Thanks!
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiridion View Post
Sorting does not seem to work. Quite useful so far, btw.
Thanks.
Sorting hasn't been implemented yet, as noted in the version history. That will be one of the first things we tackle in the next update.

By the way - PluginUpdate will intelligently let you know when it (itself) needs updating.
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdstudio View Post
Im trying to add my waves plugs. Not much luck. Im a PT's user, and ive selected the folder applications/waves/wavesplugins. the selected rtas/tdm...
It should show the Waves Shell(s) that you have in your Pro Tools plugin folders. PluginUpdate won't show individual Waves plugins at this time. That's something we'll investigate in the near future. Thanks!
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
How does it get the latest versions numbers? It looks like most plugins latest versions are only betas.
It's happening with iZotope, Cytomic, Kush Audio, Massey, T-Racks for example

Great idea BTW! Thanks for making it!
The database is self-adapting, kind of like an automated CDDB in a way. There are also human moderators. As more developers sign on, the database will gradually transition to being maintained more by the developers themselves.
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Agreed. Solution is to buy 1Password though

TH
Rest assured, your PluginUpdate password is stored securely on your drive in an encrypted format, so that you don't have to re-enter it. You should only have to enter your password once per PluginUpdate installation.
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Agreed, the password criteria is a major pain. I can't imagine why there would be a need for high security on this? Captchas, etc. Ugh.
I know the initial setup is a bit of a hassle, but after that, you stay auto logged in any time you need to check for updates. I'm sure you'll be glad this level of security is in place when the store launches. It's better to start with high security than to try to tack it on later.

Quote:
Also is reporting Toontrack product updates incorrectly, I am using the most current versions and it says I am not.
Weird, all the Toontrack stuff was reporting accurately during internal testing. This is why we did a public beta, though. Rest assured, we'll iron out anomalies like this as quickly as possible. Sorry for any confusion!

Quote:
OTOH, this is a great product and we have needed something like it for a long time.
Thanks!
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
Hey Kazorg, did you see my post here?
PluginUpdate - Mac beta available now
Yeah, I did, and I started investigating it actually. I'm not sure what you mean... can you clarify a bit? The vendors you mentioned appear to have the latest versions listed correctly from what I've seen so far (still going through the database here) Thanks!
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Sure.

iZotope RX 2 says it's on version 2.11 but on the website 2.10 is the latest one
IKmultimedia CSR Hall says it's on 1.11 but the latest version o the website is 1.1
Massey L2007 says it should be 1.353062 but the latest one on their website is 1.33849
Kush UBK1 official version is 1.0.8 but PluginUpdate suggests 1.1 (which I believe is the beta 64bit not sure)

My bad about Cytomic, it was actually the good one.

Overall this is a "game changer" plugin for real. KUDOS!!!
Kazrog
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Thanks! It's possible that 64 bit betas may be "muting" earlier 32 bit versions in the database, actually. This will be looked into.
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog View Post
Hmm, there's no way it can possibly show deleted plugins. Every time you hit "scan," it re-scans your plugin folders (configured in Preferences under Paths.)
sorry, my fault. it was too late and the plugins in fact on my harddrive (because they really are 64bit)
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear addict

great tool! found quite a few outdated plugs here.
unfortunately the remaining plugins seem to be betas or otherwise incorrect.

camelaudio Alchemy and Camel Crusher -> beta, also listed like 20times
Overloud Breverb -> beta
Overloud Breverb2 -> 2.010 / 2.09
softube -> various betas
DynamicSpectrumMapper v1 -> beta
Voxengo Ovetonne GEQ -> 1.10 / 1.09
PSP audioware -> various betas
Voxengo Vari Saturator -> 1.10 / 1.8
ValhallaVintageVerb -> beta
NomadFactory -> beta?
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Great

Great to see such software coming up! Managing a software studio is still way too much work!
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear nut

Thanks for this. Great stuff.

FYI there's an issue with some Massey Plugins:

"Massey Tools" latest version is listed as v1.0, but these have been at 0.5.3 for years.....Steven doesn't even have them on his official site anymore.

Massey's "L2007 Limiter" latest version is listed as 1.353062, but this is actually a previous version; the latest on the site is actually 1.33849 (weird but true....)

Massey TD5 latest version listed as 1.151947. Not on the site as far as I can see - latest download available is 1.13318

Last edited by Evil Jack; 1st February 2013 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: L2007 version numbers!
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Jack View Post
Thanks for this. Great stuff.

FYI there's an issue with some Massey Plugins:

"Massey Tools" latest version is listed as v1.0, but these have been at 0.5.3 for years.....Steven doesn't even have them on his official site anymore.

Massey's "L2007 Limiter" latest version is listed as 1.3353062, but this is actually a previous version; the latest on the site is actually 1.33849 (weird but true....)

Massey TD5 latest version listed as 1.151947. Not on the site as far as I can see - latest download available is 1.13318
Yeah, I had the same issue with Masseys limiter. I have the newest but the plugin is saying a newer one is out. And kush clariphonic DSP is repeated 33 times for no apparent reason lol. I think this will be great software when it's out of beta though!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/My%...My%20Snare.zip
In a metal band? Join my promotion page and post your material!
www.facebook.com/pedaltothemetalpromotions
Do you enjoy producing/Tracking?Mixing? Join my FB club!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/248380011960208/
hct
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
hct
Gear interested

I see it not mentioned yet - for some reason Toontrack EZdrummer and EZplayer RTAS/TDM have latest version listed as 7.3. Other formats seems to be OK.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search