Login / Register

Slate Raven MTI at NAMM
New Reply
Subscribe
11th September 2013
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to mpr3
It shaved a grand off the thing. Not a bad decision considering most of us already have monitoring sussed out.
11th September 2013
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3 View Post
It shaved a grand off the thing. Not a bad decision considering most of us already have monitoring sussed out.
I understand your point, but that doesn't help me any.
I would have loved to have had the meter bridge and monitoring or at least the option to. I was sold at first but just might stick with my current setup.
11th September 2013
Old 11th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
I understand your point, but that doesn't help me any.
I would have loved to have had the meter bridge and monitoring or at least the option to. I was sold at first but just might stick with my current setup.
Well I for one am glad the monitoring options have gone from the Raven MTi. I already have a comprehensive monitoring set up and I wouldn't have used the Raven monitoring. I also use 3 sets of speakers and the original Raven MTi only ever offered 2 sets of speakers to hook up to.

The money you save on the Raven MTi from the original price would be able to buy you a good monitor controller.

A win win situation IMO.
11th September 2013
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Still wondering if Slate is selling the monitor controller separately or if its a Raven exclusive only.
12th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Still wondering if Slate is selling the monitor controller separately or if its a Raven exclusive only.
I think Steven did mention in a previous post that Slate may introduce a separate monitor controller for the MTi in the future.
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

The angle of the MTi creen looks much lower than the MTX. I thought i saw Steven state in the MTX thread that a 40 degree angle is the best when concerning ergonomics and minimizing early reflections from your nearfields?
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

It would be great if the MTI could be VESA compatible.
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

The MTi and MTX are 40 degrees. I realize that people imagine that a flatter angle would be better, but believe us, it's not. The 40 degrees is the MONEY spot. Comfortable on your neck and back, easy on your arms and hands...

MTi's will be at many Guitar Centers later this week.

Cheers,
Steven

www.slatedigital.com
www.stevenslatedrums.com
www.slateproaudio.com
SLATE SUPPORT:
www.slatedigital.com/support

I DO NOT CHECK PM's! Please EMAIL ME instead NON TECH SUPPORT Questions to slate@stevenslate.com

Follow us @ www.twitter.com/slateproaudio
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the quick response Steven. From going by the ad pics I thought the MTi had a flatter angle.
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

I have been trying to find out exactly which DAW's the Raven MTi supports as 'plug and play' as it is currently shipping. What I am seeing is that it is only compatible with PT currently. I use Logic and Studio One DAW's. Are these supported at this time?
17th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Gear interested

Are these actually shipping? My order was charged to my card a few weeks ago much to my delight, but then GC pro just called today and said they were pushed back to December.
17th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bittman View Post
Are these actually shipping? My order was charged to my card a few weeks ago much to my delight, but then GC pro just called today and said they were pushed back to December.
I'm due my MTi at some point next week after I placed an order a couple of months ago.
17th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertedPhase View Post
I use Logic and Studio One DAW's. Are these supported at this time?
The Raven MTi currently works with PT 10 & 11. I believe Logic and Cubase are next after reading one of Steven's posts.
17th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to stevegalante
Will be nice to have direct feedback from real first buyers and users
17th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Gear addict

GCPro

I talked to one of the managers yesterday at GC Pro and he stated there first shipment were sold before they arrived and all have been shipped out.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a real world review of the unit.

www.whoisjohndoemusic.com
17th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Gear interested

I got two, one for mix, one for edit. Will you be able to span a mix window across multiple MTis and still have access to the faders? Pretty sweet 54" of multitouch for under 5 grand.

Any chance of selling just the software and letting people bring their own large touchscreens? Sharp just released a 4k resolution 32" multitouch screen for pretty cheap. Would be a no brainer for my little home studio.

At first I was afraid Avid would build touch support into PT12 rendering this obsolete. But then I realized they would never cannibalize their hardware controllers. After having an extended tryout of the MTX, I am convinced this is the future of mixing. Within 30 mins I was already much faster and had developed cool and fun new workflows. If you bought one of these without trying it out first rest easy, you made a great purchase. After primarily recording in Pro Tools for over a decade now, I was getting really bored of it. Now it feels like a new fun piece of software with new capabilities.
17th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Gear interested

For instance, creating groups takes about 1/10th the time as it does with a mouse. Let's say you want to turn up the drums, bass, and keys. Could easily be 16+ mouse clicks plus a long keyboard hold with the other hand just to select them, then another three finger key command to create the group, followed by the return key. Then you would make a fader move, and then disable or delete the group. That's about 25 steps. With the raven, it's a single swipe to select the channels, a tap of an onscreen hotkey, a fader movement, and then another tap directly on the group name to disable. 4 steps. I was using groups so much more for editing and mixing because it makes it almost instantaneous to group channels together. Mixing happens more at the speed of thought than the speed of the software interface.
17th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Antagonist
How does this interface connect with my computer?
(Thunderbolt,USB,Ethernet?)

I'm still really liking the thought of using one!

Email me direct: EMAIL
19th October 2013
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to ~ufo~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ufo~
I've come to the conclusion that the MTi may be my only viable upgrade from my procontrol once I go PT11.
I hope I'll like it.
It shouldn't be hard to beat the procontrol though.
I'm so looking forward to editing plugins directly on their GUIs!
Our Facebook
Our LinkedIn
Our MySpace
21st October 2013
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
I talked to one of the managers yesterday at GC Pro and he stated there first shipment were sold before they arrived and all have been shipped out.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a real world review of the unit.
I got one of the first units and today when I got back from AES, I just opened it up and installed it into my desk. Tomorrow I will start learning it in PT and will soon have my real world usage opinions and thoughts.

I accidentally posted in another thread, but will continue to post my thoughts when I have time:

Slate Raven MTI now available.
21st October 2013
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to ~ufo~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ufo~
Man that looks awesome, I'm really keen to learn of your experiences!
21st October 2013
Old 21st October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3 View Post
I got one of the first units and today when I got back from AES, I just opened it up and installed it into my desk. Tomorrow I will start learning it in PT and will soon have my real world usage opinions and thoughts.

I accidentally posted in another thread, but will continue to post my thoughts when I have time:

Slate Raven MTI now available.
I am confused ! Is the MTi shipping yet?
I didn't read any review by AES NYC visitors. Was the MTi at the Slate booth ?
22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Yep they are shipping in the US. I just got really lucky cuz Brad Lyons at GCpro is awesome (just gotta cut to the point and press at times...)

I simply LOVE working with this touch screen. I didn't expect it to be this immediate for me. I had no idea how intuitive it would be just moving files around in OS X. I still use the trackpad, but I can already tell that in a few months I am gonna be very hands on with ALL my software.

My arms will need to get used to the constant up and down motion, but I am not worried AT ALL, and I definitely recommend the 40 degree angle for both ergonomics and acoustics, which you can see from my desk pictured below. (btw I have the template if anyone is handy with a router and a 1" tracing bit - come pick it up from me in socal!)

The screen begs to be used and the response is lightning fast!

Guys I am not hyping this thing up - it already is a game changer for me and its been installed for less than 24 hours!

I will be digging into pro tools all day today and will then post more information here.

24th October 2013
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I haven't been on Gearslutz in forever and wouldn't you know it I log on and find this post :-) Thank you Mark, I appreciate the kind words! I've been doing business with Mark for many, MANY years---this guy has owned some of the best gear in the business, knows his stuff, and is quite picky. For him to give such rave reviews goes A LONG way with me. Glad to hear you're loving your new gear, my friend!
www.theaudioprofessional.com (to meet me)

p:(404)844-9758 (24-hour phone/voicemail)
e:blyons@gcpro.com

*No one beats my value of Expert Advice, Personal Service, and Incredible Pricing....NO ONE*
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Gear nut

Raven MTi

It's not for me, not in this stage at least. I really like Steven's plug ins and I went into purchasing the raven with out having tried one out.

I am really excited to see how the Raven is going to develop, and the things it will be able to do in the near future.

I would like to point out some negatives, with out sounding like a "hater", as simply put this is a product that has a future and as you have seen some people already love it.

After unboxing it I was surprised to hear loose parts flying around inside of it. The box it was delivered in was not damaged. Weather it was mishandled in shipping or quality control failure, I am not sure. At this point it does not seem to affect any performance but it is a concern.

My very first thoughts up on turning it on was "Hey I can see all the ceiling light fixtures and the bezel is too shiny and it reflects too much." I had four recessed ceiling lights stare back at me from the screen and the bezel.

Dimming the lights way down or shutting them off completely seems to help quite a bit, but I don't think I can work in the dark like this through out the whole day. Even when the lights are dimmed the bezel keeps this glow going.

My eyes start to get foggy and glazed, even after a short use. Just on Monday I spent most of the day working on a mix on my other monitor and I did not have this feeling. Maybe it's getting used too type of thing, but I have 20/20 vision and I have never experienced this with a tv or a monitor.
Compared to the other screens out there I don't feel this is as good, I am not comparing this to a retina screen or some 4k screen or some cheap 100 screen you can buy at best buy but my 27'' apple monitor looks better to me, it's also sharper and easier to look at.

So visually I want the bezel to be less noticeable and not shiny but I heard Steven say that it's boring looking at some matte finish all day long, forgive me if I can not quote him exact but something along those lines.
Honestly I don't even want to think about the bezel or see light reflect from it but let's call that personal preference.

I also don't like that the bezel is about half a cm higher then the screen, when going for something on the edge of the screen it was hard to grab as your finger is physically blocked. Trying to grab a scroll bar was impossible as i would see the mouse pointer showing up right next to it after clicking as far right.

just a simple example would be, lets say you have a item on your desktop , a pdf, jpeg or what ever a folder you want to get rid off or a cd you want to eject.
On a touch screen my first reaction would be to grab that icon and quickly drag it to /trash/or eject icon (since the double tap for a double click feature is not a option). If your dock is not hidden, no problem, if your dock is hidden like the MTI user manual advises you to do you will end up dragging that item to the edge (in my case the bottom of the screen) and you will stop there. You can not drag it enough to trigger the dock out of hiding, once again the elevated bezel kinda stops your finger from going to the edge with your mouse pointer.
Actually once I set up and calibrated the Raven I went for the pro tools icon in the dock but I could not trigger the dock to come out.

I calibrated more then a few times, and you can totally tell that when you try to select or grab something the mouse will show for the most part right in the middle of your selection but not on the edges of the screen.

I mean we are all experienced with using some form of touch screen daily wether it be our phones, tablets or what ever but I have to say that my experience with those devices is more ''accurate'' then with the raven.
Raven seems to be also less forgiving on the angle of your gaze, I started to feel that I was a little "static'' in my body and head position trying to be as accurate as possible.
There is no doubt something like this takes some getting used to, positioning etc but it seemed too ''eyes on'' for me.

I don't know, that might not be a problem on the MTX because everything is enlarged, and the "touch" point is bigger I am guessing. But I was fishing quite a lot for mid size buttons on the screen, where on these other devices it seemed more natural.

The fact that you don't have gestures that you would have on a trackpad requires too much of me using my trackball mouse or the trackpad but that being software I am guessing they would be able to implement it unless there are some patents that would stop that from happening.

My friend said it's like the difference of tweaking a synth knob on a ipad vs an actual knob on a synth...

Honestly I just want this technology to get better, I want a better screen and more accurate touch.

I am not writing a review here, so I am not going into details of raven software. If you have questions I would like to answer them but I am going to only have it for a few more days and then it's going back.

The virtual buttons on the raven rack bar are pretty big and look cool and are not very hard to press once the calibration is in place but I still feel the "static" positioning is somewhat required.

For me arguing the price point is pointless at this time, it's a brand new device and as a early adopter paying premium ( and I am only talking about the MTi here, I def can not afford a 15k screen) is not unexpected,compared to physical devices you would even say it's not that expensive but I feel that it def should be more affordable based on the screen quality it self.

I don't want to argue with anyone, if you think this is the best screen in the world or you think it's a bargain, I am ok with that, as I said these are my personal thoughts and feelings about the device.

I wish Steven and his company all the best and I know they will improve on this and like I said already it will be exciting to follow it and I will consider buying it again.
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Gear nut

Ooops a double post
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Gear nut

A little pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Raven MTI at NAMM-photo.jpg  
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3evil3mpire View Post
On a touch screen my first reaction would be to grab that icon and quickly drag it to /trash/or eject icon (since the double tap for a double click feature is not a option). If your dock is not hidden, no problem, if your dock is hidden like the MTI user manual advises you to do you will end up dragging that item to the edge (in my case the bottom of the screen) and you will stop there. You can not drag it enough to trigger the dock out of hiding, once again the elevated bezel kinda stops your finger from going to the edge with your mouse pointer.
Actually once I set up and calibrated the Raven I went for the pro tools icon in the dock but I could not trigger the dock to come out.
Hi! Sorry you didn't have a good experience like mpr3 above you! For one thing, the RAVEN is a hybrid experience and trying to access the dock with touch is absolutely not recommended. I just use the mouse for that.

Quote:
I calibrated more then a few times, and you can totally tell that when you try to select or grab something the mouse will show for the most part right in the middle of your selection but not on the edges of the screen.
What are you trying to touch on the edge? All scrolls and navigation we've replaced with swipe and gesture buttons on the NavPad. For instance, if you want to scroll, use two fingers on the NavPad and scroll vertically or horizontally.. it mimics your trackball scroll. You should never have to touch any scroll bars with the RAVEN, or ever have to touch the edges near the bezel. Furthermore, you can do two finger iphone style zooms on the NavPad just like your iphone.. but single finger swipe is easier. We'll have a video Quickstart out today (you'll get an email) and it might help you understand the RAVEN a bit more.. we'll see.

Regarding touch accuracy, once it is calibrated, we've never had an issue with any accuracy and it's been absolutely spot on. When you calibrate it, make sure you do so with a natural arc to your finger and not in a way that is unlike your normal touching pattern. Everything on the RAVEN that I want to touch is spot on after one calibration.. the one in my room was calibrated about two months ago and is still perfect.

Regarding the screen and touch technology, it is all state of the art and the finest tech available for the application it serves.. if you want faders that respond to your creative ideas.. it's the only way to go with a 5ms response time. Consumer touch screens including iPADS simply cannot do that. The MTi panel and touch system is in a different class.

I realize you've had early frustrations, but in the unit's defense, you are trying to do things that it is not intended to do such as touching the mac dock, touching the scrolls.. But I would hope that you'd give it a few more days and do a mix on it. Edit some vocals, make some cool one touch macro keys, program some fader groups to pop in front of you when you want, automate some faders in fine fader mode and draw in some really precise stuff, tweak some plugins and mix fast. It makes me nauseous to think about how slow my workflow was before the RAVEN. Also, realize that some things are great for touch and others aren't.. Faders, plugins, edit window.. touch away. Small menus and small functions (the track and group list on the left of the mixer for instance).. mouse them. It's not cheating!

On your pic I see the PT11 mixer.. did you align the RAVEN mixer and try it?

But first I want to make sure that your calibration is ok and that there isn't anything wrong.. again, touching should be SPOT on. PM me your contact info and I'll have RAVEN support hit you up.

Cheers,
Steven
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Raven MTi

It's not for me, not in this stage at least. I really like Steven's plug ins and I went into purchasing the raven with out having tried one out.

I am really excited to see how the Raven is going to develop, and the things it will be able to do in the near future.

I would like to point out some negatives, with out sounding like a "hater", as simply put this is a product that has a future and as you have seen some people already love it.

After unboxing it I was surprised to hear loose parts flying around inside of it. The box it was delivered in was not damaged. Weather it was mishandled in shipping or quality control failure, I am not sure. At this point it does not seem to affect any performance but it is a concern.

My very first thoughts up on turning it on was "Hey I can see all the ceiling light fixtures and the bezel is too shiny and it reflects too much." I had four recessed ceiling lights stare back at me from the screen and the bezel.

Dimming the lights way down or shutting them off completely seems to help quite a bit, but I don't think I can work in the dark like this through out the whole day. Even when the lights are dimmed the bezel keeps this glow going.

My eyes start to get foggy and glazed, even after a short use. Just on Monday I spent most of the day working on a mix on my other monitor and I did not have this feeling. Maybe it's getting used too type of thing, but I have 20/20 vision and I have never experienced this with a tv or a monitor.
Compared to the other screens out there I don't feel this is as good, I am not comparing this to a retina screen or some 4k screen or some cheap 100 screen you can buy at best buy but my 27'' apple monitor looks better to me, it's also sharper and easier to look at.

So visually I want the bezel to be less noticeable and not shiny but I heard Steven say that it's boring looking at some matte finish all day long, forgive me if I can not quote him exact but something along those lines.
Honestly I don't even want to think about the bezel or see light reflect from it but let's call that personal preference.

I also don't like that the bezel is about half a cm higher then the screen, when going for something on the edge of the screen it was hard to grab as your finger is physically blocked. Trying to grab a scroll bar was impossible as i would see the mouse pointer showing up right next to it after clicking as far right.

just a simple example would be, lets say you have a item on your desktop , a pdf, jpeg or what ever a folder you want to get rid off or a cd you want to eject.

I mean we are all experienced with using some form of touch screen daily wether it be our phones, tablets or what ever but I have to say that my experience with those devices is more ''accurate'' then with the raven.
Raven seems to be also less forgiving on the angle of your gaze, I started to feel that I was a little "static'' in my body and head position trying to be as accurate as possible.
There is no doubt something like this takes some getting used to, positioning etc but it seemed too ''eyes on'' for me.

I don't know, that might not be a problem on the MTX because everything is enlarged, and the "touch" point is bigger I am guessing. But I was fishing quite a lot for mid size buttons on the screen, where on these other devices it seemed more natural.

The fact that you don't have gestures that you would have on a trackpad requires too much of me using my trackball mouse or the trackpad but that being software I am guessing they would be able to implement it unless there are some patents that would stop that from happening.

My friend said it's like the difference of tweaking a synth knob on a ipad vs an actual knob on a synth...

Honestly I just want this technology to get better, I want a better screen and more accurate touch.

I am not writing a review here, so I am not going into details of raven software. If you have questions I would like to answer them but I am going to only have it for a few more days and then it's going back.

The virtual buttons on the raven rack bar are pretty big and look cool and are not very hard to press once the calibration is in place but I still feel the "static" positioning is somewhat required.

For me arguing the price point is pointless at this time, it's a brand new device and as a early adopter paying premium ( and I am only talking about the MTi here, I def can not afford a 15k screen) is not unexpected,compared to physical devices you would even say it's not that expensive but I feel that it def should be more affordable based on the screen quality it self.

I don't want to argue with anyone, if you think this is the best screen in the world or you think it's a bargain, I am ok with that, as I said these are my personal thoughts and feelings about the device.

I wish Steven and his company all the best and I know they will improve on this and like I said already it will be exciting to follow it and I will consider buying it again.
It's unfortunate to read your experience on the MTi so far. However, with some of the concerns and issues you've had, I think a lot of them wouldn't have existed if you had actually had a proper demo on the MTi or MTX before purchasing one. You would have been told what to do and not what to do. This is exactly why I demoed the MTX twice before deciding to pull the plug on one myself.

I for one didn't experience any of the issues you encountered. I had the complete opposite experience which made a very easy decision for me. The Raven will bring nothing but positive, effective and efficient workflow to my production, editing and mixing in PT. I'm so looking forward to receiving my Raven soon. However, I am also completely sold on touch screen technology.

What I also found a bit strange about your post is that you didn't mention anything about contacting Slate Support. Instead you have decided to post your initial thoughts without knowing if you have set up the Raven correctly or actually using it correctly. Surely, Slate Support would have been the best route to try and resolve your concerns/issues?

I hope you get your concerns/issues resolved as quickly as possible and as a result have a positive experience on your fine purchase.
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Raven MTi

It's not for me, not in this stage at least. I really like Steven's plug ins and I went into purchasing the raven with out having tried one out. ...

Totally opposite experience from you. I am not a big fan of the plugins (my ears are very picky when comes to compression tho...), but I AM A MAJOR fan of this MTI! Everything I do is faster! How can I possibly turn any minor shortcoming of a 1st generation release into a valid threat against the workflow speed boost I am currently experiencing? I may be stubborn, but I am not stupid!

You have to learn it before you give up man. There is an adjustment period and for me it really was not that long! Granted I am still adjusting, but my relationship with PT is now embarrassingly intimate and keep in mind that I owned a 32 fader ICON D Control for years and did hundreds of mixes on it and NEVER felt this close to Pro Tools - not even 1/10 or 1/20th of the way there...

And the new S6 I just privately demoed at AES is an utter DISASTER for anyone in pro audio. The post guys may love it cuz it feels pro and looks daunting to a corporate mook, making them say 'damn these guys are good!' but in reality most post guys get paid by the hour so wtf do they care about speed? I don't even know where to begin with how botched the S6 is to pro audio mixing - it felt like I was learning a new layer ontop of PT, when in reality I want all the fricken layers GONE so I can just get to the music already! So frustrating - even the guy giving me the demo was like 'yea, you have to do this, and then this, and then quickly come over here and do this to do THAT, but once you learn it your brain will just do it automatically like what happened on your ICON.' GREAT, more unconscious burying of DAW command execution in my already overloaded brain in order to get FAST at it...

No, the MTI is awesome and will only get better with more features and a smoother, deeper intertwining with the DAWs. Glare on the monitor bezel? Makes me wonder what sort of alien spacecraft is above your head for it to be that distracting while you're working? I am typing this on the Raven right now and my room is lit perfectly and I don't have any glare issues. Zero. The large white birdie in the corner might drive me crazy at times but that's only when my mood is low or I am frustrated from something in a mix, but right now it is not bothering me at all.

$2500? How is this possible?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search