Sky-Audio VERADE Studio Monitors
New Reply
Subscribe
lordward
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hardware Sky-Audio VERADE Studio Monitors

Introducing the new Verdade studio monitors from Sky-Audio!
SKY-AUDIO | VERDADE PASSIVER HIGH-END STUDIOMONITORE

Designed and conceived by Jürgen Lusky, Mastering Engineer at HOFA studios, Germany.

I've know Jürgen for about 10 years now since working freelance at Hofa studios and through the years he has always proven to be a very competent mastering/sound engineer. In the past Jürgen has co-developed a few pieces of random gear including the Sky-Audio Mic Shaper (of which I own) and has helped me personally with finding optimal solutions to my personal studio. Now he has excelled into becoming a speaker designer! I remember it was around early 2012 that I first got a chance to try out a pair of his speakers in the "prototype" stage. Although they were not perfect if still broke my heart to have to give them back to him since they were still in the development stages and he had other plans for them. It took another half a year (or more?) until I was able to get a almost final set of his newest speakers (the newer ones have a bit different form and a diffuser) which I've had since June 2012. Since I've had them I've been working better and faster than ever before. I hear what's right and, more importantly, I hear what's wrong.....

Now I'm testing a new Subwoofer from him that is currently in development...
He won't get this back "

These speakers were reviewed in the German Studio Magazine (12/12). I've translated the "in conclusion" part into English:

Conclusion:
With the passive Verdade studio monitor, in perfect combination with the Abacus Poweramp, Jürgen Lusky has managed to have a small stroke of genius. A tool that was developed directly from daily studio work, from pitfalls and needs, that absolutely and transparently tell "the truth". In the meantime the work has also begun for a matching subwoofer as well as a couple of other ideas to add to the Verade Line of monitors. The price should also come as a surprise: For a pair of Verdade monitors, 2160 euro plus tax. The Poweramp goes for thrifty 665 euro plus tax over the counter and is, upon request, included. That means about € 2825 plus tax for a complete world-class monitor system. Who can resist? I could not. This speaker set is definitely not going to leave my control room. The sonic clarity and openness, especially the amazing neutral presentation of the mid frequencies and the illustration of transient and space, have been able to convince me completely and I'm looking forward to the subwoofer that makes the Verdade into a full blown full-range system. That does not mean that one would necessarily need a subwoofer. But those who, like me, are accustomed to hearing linearly down to 20 Hz, do not want to miss out on it in the future. Make it your own listening test and compare with your current "favourite" system and you will find that I have not exaggerated. Very big deal!

Unfortunately the site is in German only but I'll try to translate some details for everyone. Until then feel free to contact him over his web page. He speaks English fluently and will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Hopefully he will post here as well!

SKY-AUDIO | VERDADE PASSIVER HIGH-END STUDIOMONITORE

Price:
1 pair of Verade monitors, 2160 Euros plus tax
Stereo Abacus Poweramp, 665 Euros plus tax

Last edited by lordward; 16th January 2013 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: odd punctuation...
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Gear maniac

Hell yeah, Jürgen Goooooo
One question, Dennis, why passive?
All the best!
lordward
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hi,

Well, for a start it keeps the price down
I'll ask Jürgen if there is an ultimate other reason.
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Gear maniac

Ah thanks, so easy reason.
I was just curious!
You Dennis, have a great website and really an impressive discography.
Do you use this speakers with the Adam Sub in your studio or is "she" gone....

PS: The Harrison EQ is sold.... :-)
lordward
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

I've stopped using the Adam sub now. The prototype has put it to shame.
Glad you like the web page!
Sorry I couldn't get the Harrison EQ

DW
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Gear interested

Hello, Dennis! Your new site is very cool and interesting.
Where can we find the measurements, frequency response graphics of those new monitors?
GnS
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
GnS
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to GnS
Wooohooo, german engineering
lordward
16th January 2013
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViXP View Post
Hello, Dennis! Your new site is very cool and interesting.
Where can we find the measurements, frequency response graphics of those new monitors?
All coming up! Everything is still in development but I will all come asap.

DW
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
All coming up! Everything is still in development but I will all come asap.

DW
Please keep yourselves out of this embarrassing publication of sugarcoated, meaningless frequency response measurements.
Only a few people might handle this right or can judge the overall quality of a loudspeaker by a simple frequency plot.
I think that´s the main reason why most speaker manufacturers hold back with the publishing of such data.
The correct interpretation of complete measurement protocols is a knowing science for itself. Most will only get confused by this. For most people it is much more useful to evaluate a speaker with its own trained ears in its own room. Looking at a frequency plot of a loudspeaker without judging all other parameters is absolutely senseless.
A flat frequency response is the most easiest exercise for a active loudspeaker system (with some embellishment in the graph here and there...) Such a system may be still worse than anything else on the market.

Please be cautious with publishing and do not be assessed due to wrong interpretation. Your speakers are surely to good for that...
lordward
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Please keep yourselves out of this embarrassing publication of sugarcoated, meaningless frequency response measurements.
Only a few people might handle this right or can judge the overall quality of a loudspeaker by a simple frequency plot.
I think that´s the main reason why most speaker manufacturers hold back with the publishing of such data.
The correct interpretation of complete measurement protocols is a knowing science for itself. Most will only get confused by this. For most people it is much more useful to evaluate a speaker with its own trained ears in its own room. Looking at a frequency plot of a loudspeaker without judging all other parameters is absolutely senseless.
A flat frequency response is the most easiest exercise for a active loudspeaker system (with some embellishment in the graph here and there...) Such a system may be still worse than anything else on the market.

Please be cautious with publishing and do not be assessed due to wrong interpretation. Your speakers are surely to good for that...
Wow! Thank you... This is basically what Jürgen said as well. I too have a pair of monitors from a certain company and the charts show them to be relatively flat in response. Doing my own measurements show the same. But my EARS tell me that they sound like crap

Jürgen will be offering to come around to studios to have listening/comparing sessions. I think he'll start with Germany. If enough people write him and show interest it might make sense to meet at a given studio with a few persons to have a listen for yourself.

Regarding the question asking "why passive" this is what Jürgen told me:

"for me, passive just sounds better...and I've not heard an active system for around 2500 Euro/pair that sounded good in the way I like to hear it. There are some good ones but they start at around twice the price and up".

I concur, I would rather be able to choose my amplification and have been so happy with my Carver poweramp for years. And, this might not be an argument for everyone, I hated it when I had to travel with my Powered monitors in 2 flight cases which were always a problem to transport. As a mater of fact I'm not really quite sure what the advantage is for monitors to be self-powered. I know that a few will argue that mono block poweramps have better stereo images and separation but with passive you still have the option to use that if you wish. You can also start small and upgrade
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
As a mater of fact I'm not really quite sure what the advantage is for monitors to be self-powered.
You are able to use a separate amp for every way of the ls. In theory there are some advances:
Better adaptation to the drivers, the avoid of losses of the passive crossover, the crossover can be build with steeper filters to circumvent problems of the drivers, the use of EQs and other linearisation measures...

In practice this is often not necessary or advantageous, especially if you use high quality components and skilled workmanship. Most of the active speakers in the lower and middle price class uses very cheap electronics and amps (everyone cares about his converters like crazy and send this high quality stream through some poor electronics in his loudspeakers ...).

I always preferred passive system too ....
Good active ones are surely possible to build, but have to be much more expensive than comparable passive ones (incl amp) when build with the same amount of passion and skills...

Quote:
You can also start small and upgrade
Yes, this one advantage too. Power Amps can make differences on its own...
lordward
18th January 2013
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP__ View Post
Yes, this one advantage too. Power Amps can make differences on its own...
Indeed!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search