Corvus Audio 5150/6505 Bias Mod Kits
New Reply
Subscribe
TheWinterSnow
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

Hardware Corvus Audio 5150/6505 Bias Mod Kits

The name says it all, I have been trying to find a way to make a simple solution for those who have wanted to bias their beloved 5150s and 6505s but don't want to pay an arm and a leg and now it is here. If soldering is not your strong point, there is an option where is can be installed for you, you just have to pay the extra shipping for your amp.

Sorry no picture, no real need for a potentiometer and wiring harness with two color coded leads coming out of it that will just be put inside the amp. Comes with high grade high friction potentiometer and Peavey chickenhead knob. This is an external controlled biasing solution that allows even electronic novices to install and allows you to bias the amp without needing to take the chassis out of the headbox.

You can buy here
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

??
TheWinterSnow
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

^^Question, Comment, Accusation? ?? can mean many things.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry, I had no idea what you're talking about. Maybe there are those who did, I dunno, but I certainly didn't. It was kinda like "Sanskrit read to a pony" to quote Lou Reed.

This is a recording site, can you maybe begin at the beginning for those of us who are dummies. You modify guitar amps? You sell tubes? You modify tubes? What is it that you do exactly? Honestly asking, not being hostile.

- c
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

I manufacture guitar amp based products right now focused on recording, including the loadbox among other things that I am working on like an active transformerless DI and Reamp box in one. I have other recording based products in mind indcluding stuff for drums and even VST plugins.

Over on the Andy Sneap forum is some engineers have had conversations about the effects of amp biasing particularly the amp this thread is about when recording and how it can effect the tone, so I fugured it would be more than viable around here for the recording guys that love to tweak and customize amps for more tonal possibilities.

There is a write up about the biasing process on the product pages FAQ, but to simply as much as possible: Vacuum tubes and transistors require a DC voltage that is between the device being all the way on and all the way off when there is no audio signal. That is called biasing. In Power Amps they need to be adjusted and the exact setting is left to the user within reason. The 5150/6505 series amps are really biased cold and do not let you bias them, so this little kit lets you adjust the bias voltage to get more traditional bias settings adjust to personalize the amp in yet another way. The big problem with biasing really cold is that you get crossover distortion which is a weird hiss in the high frequencies, some people don't like it, some do. The mod just allows you to adjust how much of it you want.

It is a kit that the user can buy and install themselves, or they can send it to me or even a local tech to install it.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Sorry, I had no idea what you're talking about.
The 5150 is a popular amp for recording metal guitar. Lots of studios have 'em.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, I had no idea what you're talking about. Maybe there are those who did, I dunno, but I certainly didn't. It was kinda like "Sanskrit read to a pony" to quote Lou Reed.

This is a recording site, can you maybe begin at the beginning for those of us who are dummies. You modify guitar amps? You sell tubes? You modify tubes? What is it that you do exactly? Honestly asking, not being hostile.

- c
Jesus really?

If you didn't know what it was, try google. Literally 2 seconds would of answered all your questions and not required such a silly post.

Secondly, anyone who has a 5150/6505 will at some point or another consider this upgrade, so someone selling them as complete packages is a great idea, and 100% studio related.

Also, I would vouch for Wintersnow as well. Guy knows his stuff for sure.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Read the last five words of my post, dudes. I was not deriding, just encouraging clarity.

And thankfully my work brings me no acquaintance with metal guitar whatsoever, so I concede ignorance on this front.

- c
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I concede ignorance on this front.
No doubt about that! LOL. The 5150 was invented/named by arguable one of the greatest/most famous guitarists in history: Eddie Van Halen.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13 View Post
Jesus really?

If you didn't know what it was, try google. Literally 2 seconds would of answered all your questions and not required such a silly post.

Secondly, anyone who has a 5150/6505 will at some point or another consider this upgrade, so someone selling them as complete packages is a great idea, and 100% studio related.

Also, I would vouch for Wintersnow as well. Guy knows his stuff for sure.
Honestly, S.S's post didn't read as snide or chastising. Pretty consistent with his many many other posts in tone. I am familiar with EVHs' 5150's even though in my world Johnny Marr, Mick Ronson or Tom Verlaine would be more a guitar hero. Still, I was slightly confused at the lack of precursory information in the first post.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search