Login / Register

ValhallaVintageVerb. Available now for OSX/Windows. $50.
New Reply
Subscribe
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear interested

valhallasound wrote:
Quote:
Some time was spent with a rented 480L, as well as an AMS RMX16, although none of the latter made it into the current release.
Does this mean you will add 480L and AMS RMX16 inspired algorithms in a future release?
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasscass View Post
Does this mean you will add 480L and AMS RMX16 inspired algorithms in a future release?
Indeed; I'd love to hear Sean's take on the AMS non-lin.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I'm working on a remix and just replaced all 'Logic' verbs with VRoom. I have about 20+ VRoom verbs running all with different Algo / settings...what a difference it has made. Light on CPU too.

One of those plugs that has got me excited about working ITB.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Software

23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Manic Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
An accidental, late night, psychedelic abstraction from a Beauty Pill song [melody and words removed] involving a huge, oscillating network of modulating Valhalla.

http://soundcloud.com/beautypill/beauty-pill-exit-without

- c[/URL]
That's beautiful! Love the drums..

RB
seancostello
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post
Indeed; I'd love to hear Sean's take on the AMS non-lin.
Don Gunn and I rented an RMX16. Honestly, I didn't think that the algorithms were all that good. I could see getting a few useful delay taps out of some of the algorithms, but in general the algorithms sounded like "allpass loop" reverbs that didn't have the allpass lengths set particularly well. I know that all sorts of classic music has been recorded with the RMX16, but I think that you could put Peter Gabriel through the spring reverb on a Peavey Bandit and he would still sound fantastic.

I'll revisit the impulse responses we recorded at some point, to see how things sound again. One thing that was interesting about the RMX16 was that the reverbs didn't sound very good when soloed, but within the mix they added a LOT of 3D-ness.

The main thing that was interesting about the RMX16 was how easy the interface was to work with. There are only a few parameters, which made things easy to navigate, and the parameters that are adjustable (predelay, decay, high/low tone) have a big impact on the sound. The simplicity of the RMX16 was an influence on the interface design of ValhallaVintageVerb. Obviously, the RMX16 doesn't look like a 1975 Winnebago, but the idea of only having as many parameters as absolutely necessary was a goal for VeeThree.
Plugins: http://www.valhalladsp.com
seancostello
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
An accidental, late night, psychedelic abstraction from a Beauty Pill song [melody and words removed] involving a huge, oscillating network of modulating Valhalla.

http://soundcloud.com/beautypill/beauty-pill-exit-without
Whoa. That's...that's just pretty darned amazingly good, Chad.

I really like the twangy guitars in there. I could hear where the reverb got cranked up, getting that "spaghetti western guitar via the late 80s" sound that I LOVE LOVE LOVE.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Whoa. That's...that's just pretty darned amazingly good, Chad.

I really like the twangy guitars in there. I could hear where the reverb got cranked up, getting that "spaghetti western guitar via the late 80s" sound that I LOVE LOVE LOVE.
+1
I love Chads creativity,Beauty Pill has been freaking me out for a while!
Inspirational! ;-)
2.8 Quad Intel(2008)MacPro24 gig ram,OSX10.83, DP8.04, RME FF 800,Great River ME-1NV preamp,a few microphones,NI Komplete ,UAD....assorted plugs,VI's... Vdrums (TD20 expanded) Superior2, Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata PowerSnakes and Conditioners,too many hard drives... ESATA
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
Just bought !

After such a trip in vintage reverbs land what about one in vintage delays kingdom ?
1 Up!
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
One thing that was interesting about the RMX16 was that the reverbs didn't sound very good when soloed, but within the mix they added a LOT of 3D-ness.
I think that is a quality which is often missing in plugin reverbs.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
I think that is a quality which is often missing in plugin reverbs.
Not my experience with the UAD Plate 140.
RiF
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixtree Audio View Post
Not my experience with the UAD Plate 140.
Same here. The UAD Plate 140 does exactly that. Sounds a bit meh when solo'd, but sounds great in a mix and wraps itself around the source nicely.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear nut

I did say "often" not "always"
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Man this thing is scary good!LOL
I gotta stop fooling around with verbs and get some work done!!
My head is swimming in algorithmic reverb bliss.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Don Gunn and I rented an RMX16. Honestly, I didn't think that the algorithms were all that good.
I think of the AMS as a reverb "effect" unit, rather than an accurate reverb simulator. The non-lin is a classic, and one of the reasons that well functioning RMX16s are still highly desired. I'm genuinely curious to find out from an expert like yourself what it is made up of and how difficult it would be to duplicate.

I'm a Vroom user and V3 sounds amazing; I'll be picking it up this week. Congrats and thanks for what you do.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear nut

Love it... no surprise there!
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear interested

It would be cool with a ursa major space station-replica.
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear maniac

After demoing for 3-4 days, I finally bought. Great Verb
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
+1
I love Chads creativity,Beauty Pill has been freaking me out for a while!
Inspirational! ;-)
Very kind! Thanks!

Long story, but I've taken the Soundcloud down for now. But regardless, thanks for the encouraging words!

- c
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another Vee3 demo. This is my SH-101, running through the Ambience algorithm:

http://soundcloud.com/seancostello/sh101-through-veethree

Don Gun is automating the VeeThree Attack parameter in Logic, to crossfade between the randomized early reflections of the Ambience algorithm and a much longer late reverb. This shows off the high quality reverb tail of the Ambience algorithm.

Here's the ValhallaVintageVerb preset being used:

<ValhallaVintageVerb pluginVersion="1.0.0" presetName="SH101 Ambience" Mix="1" PreDelay="0.181999996" Decay="0.412" Size="0.680000007" Attack="0" BassMult="0.623038769" BassXover="0.460000008" HighShelf="0" HighFreq="0.483999997" EarlyDiffusion="1" LateDiffusion="1" ModRate="0.280999988" ModDepth="0.247999996" HighCut="0.395973146" LowCut="0" ColorMode="0.666666687" ReverbMode="0.291666657"/>

To use the preset in ValhallaVintageVerb, copy all of the above text, including the < and > tags. Next, click on the Presets button in VintageVerb, and select "Paste from clipboard."
Where is that preset database you said you'd get up on the site in the other thread !?

Yep, bought without even hearing it
DSK
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very kind! Thanks!

Long story, but I've taken the Soundcloud down for now. But regardless, thanks for the encouraging words!

- c
Chad ouch what a tease.

This has to say a lot about human psychology but when I read your initial post I was slightly interested (knowing your musical ventures and good overall taste).

When I read the other posts I got really interested.

Now when I know it's not available anymore I'm literally dying to hear it.

This leads to the conclusion that we need to make everything as scarce as possible so we would care about it.

Quickly we must kill out most of nature and ourselves so we will have to start to cherish it. The quicker we do this the better it will be.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

I got an email via Soundcloud from a Beauty Pill fan who said, basically, people are tired of me posting these little work-in-progres drafts [I call them "scaffolding" versions] and I should stop doing that until we release the album. Because it's irritating.

Though I found the email a little over-dramatic, I thought he had a fair point --- BP fans have been understandably frustrated --- so I took it down.

It's not that big a deal and this particular thing certainly wasn't brilliant, trust me. The only reason I mentioned it here is that I used a sea of oscillating/modulating Valhalla reverb and I thought it was relevant to this thread.

We're working on a deal to release the museum session album[s] and when we do, I'll try to mention it in the "Good News" forum.

Sorry to derail the thread.

- c
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

That's too bad they were beautiful "scaffolds"! ;-)

With fans like that.......
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear Head

Chad, it was a great melody on guitars, I was singing it for half a day
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

@Silver Sonya- for what it's worth, I thought it sounded really cool, and seemed totally relevant to the thread. I'll be watching for an official release.

Strictly on topic though, V3 is the stylized reverb plug I never knew I needed. So much depth and character. On recent mixes I've been cooking up fx busses up with combinations of reverbs, echos, modulation plugs, etc. This seems to get me to similarly deep interesting tones in one click. Great work again, Sean! I'll be picking this up shortly.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Manic Modulator

Quote:
I got an email via Soundcloud from a Beauty Pill fan who said, basically, people are tired of me posting these little work-in-progres drafts [I call them "scaffolding" versions] and I should stop doing that until we release the album. Because it's irritating.

Though I found the email a little over-dramatic, I thought he had a fair point --- BP fans have been understandably frustrated --- so I took it down.- c
Understandable. Remember that you can always set a track on Soundcloud to be 'private' and then use the 'secret link' to create an embed here on GS that only slutz can see/hear. That's what I do, otherwise I'd have Soundcloud peeps wondering why I'm uploading weird test files and snare reverb comparisons instead of putting up some new music! :]

Cheers..

RB
seancostello
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
ValhallaDSP

Quote:

Though I found the email a little over-dramatic, I thought he had a fair point --- BP fans have been understandably frustrated --- so I took it down.
So, a Beauty Pill fan was angry that you posted a Beauty Pill track, for free, online? Or is it because it was a "draft" without vocals?

The 1990s me would have said that your fan was being overly rockist. Although the 1990s me would have also slapped the 1990s me in the face for actually saying that term out loud.

Anyway, it was a cool track, and I look forward to hearing it again in the future. And I feel really fortunate that Valhalla plugins made their appearance on there.

This goes for all y'all out there. I am SO LUCKY that my job is making creative tools for musicians, and I am thankful to all of you for your support!
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyway, it was a cool track, and I look forward to hearing it again in the future.
I am SO LUCKY that my job is making creative tools for musicians, and I am thankful to all of you for your support!
Sure was/is a cool track, lucky I played it several times in a row.
Nice showcase of Vee3.

You're LUCKY Sean.
And we all get the pleasure of using your creative tools.
A win - win situation.

I'm getting in a day early (it is Monday afternoon here)......
Have a very Merry Xmas Sean and I hope 2013 is a GOOD one for you and your family.

Murray
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am SO LUCKY that my job is making creative tools for musicians, and I am thankful to all of you for your support!
Right back @ ya my friend!

Congrats to You and your Wife on the superbly sounding & looking new masterpiece "VeeThree"!

It was an honor to be a part of the testing team and I look 4ward to testing the next one!

All the best to you and yours in the coming new year!

And Happy Holidays to everyone else here as well!!!
MJB
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
MJB
Lives for gear

My EMT 140 with my Apollo is the only plug I have that feels like the real thing to me, and I've got dozens of Waves plugs too. That said, I've found the 140's verbs bussed to most tracks seem to add up to a point where it congests the stereo mixdown, and I have to go back and lower the verbs overall. I don't get that with Logic's verbs, Waves Rverb, True verb. I was thinking the Lexicon 224 from UAD might be my next verb, but after hearing that Relab 480 in the earlier post I was no longer certain UAD's verb was the best Lexi verb. Still, UAD's is on sale for $249, and I have a $25 coupon, so.. that's a heck of a lot better than the Relab's $399. If the price was equal, I'd have to hear both to compare before buying. I've been on a fence regarding UAD's 224, because although I'm familiar with it and liked it a lot when I used to do lots of studio work back in the day, I might find one of their other plugs, like the Massive Passive EQ, or Shadow Hills compressor a better use of my now very limited budget, as I already have some usable verbs.

And then, there's this lovely offering from Sean.. It might be fun to have another choice in my reverb closet, and I like supporting Gearslutz member's work. Well, I'm leaving for my honeymoon today, so I guess it can wait a week or two. Nice work Sean, it's been enjoyable hearing your views on verbs, as you obviously have an expert opinion, and it helps us all to hear from you.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search