Login / Register

Kush Clariphonic DSP Plugin
New Reply
Subscribe
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

Greg, now would be an awesome time to jump in and give us some details!!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/My%...My%20Snare.zip
In a metal band? Join my promotion page and post your material!
www.facebook.com/pedaltothemetalpromotions
Do you enjoy producing/Tracking?Mixing? Join my FB club!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/248380011960208/
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

Oh no, Greg. But, oh yes!.

this is the one I've been waiting for a loooong time

haven't even read the thread through yet, but, congrats on this and the stellar review in SOS of UBK. Please work 64 bit into its future ASAP. Its still not getting the proper love as I'm always on a hurry and the Logic Bridge slows me down.

all the best,
kjb
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Telling it like it is

Looks interesting. I find it curious that it doesn't have the Full Frequency switch. This might not work the same as a hardware Clariphonic, mixing the EQ'ed signal with the normal signal in parallel and this might simply be just the curves of the shelves in a plugin.

That being said, I used my Clariphonic plenty of times with waves Qclone which would just capture the curves and not the parallel processing and it sounded fine compared to the hardware so I'm sure the curves alone might be enough.

Eventually I got rid of my Clariphonic simply because I got tired of dealing with the variable pots in my all-switched and stepped hardware setup so I'm not the only one slightly disappointed that Greg isn't bringing a mastering version of the Clariphonic to market with switches. Good news is that member Lagerfeldt here on Gearslutz had his Clariphonic modded by a tech to add switches so there's hope. If I can find a tech to do it for me in a competent manner, I'd be more than willing to buy another Clariphoinic and have it modded to use switches.

Definitely an interesting plugin.

Regards,
Frank

www.frankperri.com

Never listen to opinions regarding gear. For every 50 nobodies on Gearslutz that say a piece of gear doesn't sound good enough to cut it, I know at least one somebody who is cutting it in NYC with that piece of gear.

www.diehipster.com
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
Right on. However, while this plug has been "approved" by his ears, it's up to users like yourself who own and use the Clariphonic hardware to also give their honest comparative assessment.

Chad - don't think I'm targeting you as a fanboy or anything. I just respect your opinion based on many years of posts about hardware which I can relate to with my own experiences and aesthetic. Hopefully, IT IS about "the sound", and not whether developer "ABC" or "XYZ" did the audio coding.
I understand what you're saying. [And I'm definitely a fan. Guilty as charged.]

But what I meant was this: The appearance of a Clariphonic plugin constitutes a reversal of some of Greg's passionate "the Clariphonic couldn't be replicated digitally!" statements of the past.

Because of my very high esteem for him as an artisan and designer, I choose to see this reversal positively: He did some research and experimentation and simply changed his mind. Changing your mind is what a smart person should do when presented with new information.

At a technical level, what surprises me --- and probably shows my ignorance/non-understanding --- is that the very refined parallel nature of the Clariphonic can be replicated in the digital domain. Because, in my experience, that is one thing that digital has never done as well as analog: zero-time parallel processing.

- c
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Gear nut

release date ?
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

too late !!! we want it now !
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Bryce
Kush Audio Debuts Clariphonic DSP plug-in

October 26th, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Kush Audio Debuts Clariphonic DSP Plug-in

San Francisco, CA – Cutting edge high end audio manufacturer Kush Audio is showing off its latest software product: the Clariphonic DSP, a meticulously modeled version of their award winning Clariphonic Parallel Equalizer, created in partnership with Studio Devil.

The Clariphonic DSP, like its analog cousin, blends custom-tuned, silky smooth high frequency filters with the full range audio to lift open the midrange and top end with an effortlessness that is unrivalled by any other device in existence. Its effectiveness is matched only by its elegant simplicity, with toggles to select the filters and a knob to turn them in one direction: up.

“Not a day goes by when my inbox isn’t filled with multiple requests for a software version of the Clariphonic,” said designer Gregory Scott. ”It took multiple stabs at the unorthodox curves to get the Clariphonic DSP to the point where it not only feels like the hardware, but where I’m willing to use it in my own mixes. We got there, and I’m proud to slap the Kush name on it.”

The Clariphonic DSP will be available in RTAS, AU and VST for Mac and PC. The $149 selling price includes one master license valid for all available formats and platforms.
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Gear interested

Wow! This should be interesting I've been using the UBK-1 since it came out and it's amazing. I have high hopes for this one!

// Antti //
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Gear addict

There's 2 other threads with this, one already in new products and one in the AES from a day or 2 ago.
work2do
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
The thing about Greg is this: He goes by his ears. He wouldn't release it if he didn't find it pleasing and musical.

I trust that guy.

- c
28th October 2012
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

out 11.4.12
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

I'd like to know Greg's opinion on how this compares to the hardware. If there was ever anyone vocally outspoken about digital never recreating analog processes faithfully it is/was him. Either this software breaks new ground (not unusual in the last couple of years) or he's after the $$$. If it was nothing like the hardware, but still good I'm sure he wouldn't call it the Clairphonic.

www.gearautopsy.com
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
I'd like to know Greg's opinion on how this compares to the hardware. If there was ever anyone vocally outspoken about digital never recreating analog processes faithfully it is/was him. Either this software breaks new ground (not unusual in the last couple of years) or he's after the $$$. If it was nothing like the hardware, but still good I'm sure he wouldn't call it the Clairphonic.

I would like to hear a comparison between the PI and the HW for sure. I love my UBK-1, but it does not replace my UBK fatso at all. The HW is just more powerful and stable and goes on most of my mixes on the master to add weight, warmth and power. The PI is good for other things, but craps out on the master, imvho.

www.worldstudios.se
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
I would like to hear a comparison between the PI and the HW for sure. I love my UBK-1, but it does not replace my UBK fatso at all. The HW is just more powerful and stable and goes on most of my mixes on the master to add weight, warmth and power. The PI is good for other things, but craps out on the master, imvho.
Do you use it with just saturation on the master or do you also compress?
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Gear Guru

I'm looking forward to hearing it. My guess is it will be killer. Greg's a smart guy.....
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:

But what I meant was this: The appearance of a Clariphonic plugin constitutes a reversal of some of Greg's passionate "the Clariphonic couldn't be replicated digitally!" statements of the past.

Because of my very high esteem for him as an artisan and designer, I choose to see this reversal positively: He did some research and experimentation and simply changed his mind. Changing your mind is what a smart person should do when presented with new information.

At a technical level, what surprises me --- and probably shows my ignorance/non-understanding --- is that the very refined parallel nature of the Clariphonic can be replicated in the digital domain. Because, in my experience, that is one thing that digital has never done as well as analog: zero-time parallel processing.

- c
My thoughts exactly.
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:

- c
What you are noticing - PLAIN AND SIMPLE - is the difference between someone who is trying to sell hardware vs someone who is trying to sell software and hardware (with the software driving up hardware sales)

The last paragraph of your response sounds particularly naive - what about the 1000 plugin compressors that all use a dry wet knob ? .... same shit different name.
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeretoneAudio View Post
The last paragraph of your response sounds particularly naive - what about the 1000 plugin compressors that all use a dry wet knob ? .... same shit different name.
What the hell is happening to civility on GS? Where is your tone coming from?

With regards to wet/dry mixes on digital compressors: they sound like shit to me and are absolutely textbook examples of analog's superiority in the time domain. In fact, my love of easy/intuitive and good-sounding parallel processing is the number one reason my studio is hybrid analog/digital.

My studio is packed with a combination of Metric Halo ULN8 and Burl D/A's, a console and my favorite hardware outboard and running that stuff in parallel sounds so much better than digital compressors with wet/dry knobs.

The difference seems conspicuous to me. I've been doing this for a living for 15 years and my preference mirrors Joel Hamilton and Michael Brauer and Nigel Godrich, but maybe we're just naive. I defer to your greater wisdom and experience.

- c
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:

With regards to wet/dry mixes on digital compressors: they sound like shit to me and are absolutely textbook examples of analog's superiority in the time domain. In fact, my love of easy/intuitive and good-sounding parallel processing is the number one reason my studio is hybrid analog/digital.

My studio is packed with a combination of Metric Halo ULN8 and Burl D/A's, a console and my favorite hardware outboard and running that stuff in parallel sounds so much better than digital compressors with wet/dry knobs.

The difference seems conspicuous to me. I've been doing this for a living for 15 years and my preference mirrors Joel Hamilton and Michael Brauer and Nigel Godrich, but maybe we're just naive. I defer to your greater wisdom and experience.

- c
I'm just making an observation about your comment nothing more nothing less.

If you don't believe the second paragraph of my post then read the first paragraph of my post.

"What you are noticing - PLAIN AND SIMPLE - is the difference between someone who is trying to sell hardware vs someone who is trying to sell software and hardware (with the software driving up hardware sales)"

It's only one or the other.
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

Jesus Christ. If anyone here hates plugins its probably time to leave this thread! For the rest of us who are excited.. Next Sunday can't come faster.
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

- c
Can you elaborate on this please ?
have you compared for exemple a dry/wet on a plugin comp with by doing it the old school way (parallel buses , newyork compression ) ?

and when you talk about the superiority of analog , are you really judging the parallel process , without being biased by the sonic superiority onf the compression (analog) itself ? you're able to distinguish it ?

All are serious questions , no bashing , throlling or some , just really want to know as you grabbed my attention

thks

MySpace : http://www.myspace.com/zoakajeezo

YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ZozillaT...t?feature=mhee

Cutthroat to the bone !

"People became used to use money they do not have to buy things they do not need to impress others who do not care"
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeretoneAudio View Post
"What you are noticing - PLAIN AND SIMPLE - is the difference between someone who is trying to sell hardware vs someone who is trying to sell software and hardware (with the software driving up hardware sales)"

It's only one or the other.
You are insinuating darkly about the character of Greg Scott.

Insinuate all you want, this is just not the dude I know, sorry.

- c
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
Do you use it with just saturation on the master or do you also compress?
I rarely compress, actually. But If I want to compress, the UBK HW does it very vell keeping the integrity of the audio. High fidelity, if you like, whereas the sw distorts a bit and sounds a bit weak by comparison. IMHO.
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
Well, the plugin is NOT an emulation of the UBK FATSO.

Greg made it clear when it was announced.
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Gear maniac

Stuff!
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

I don't feel comfortable copy and pasting greg's quotes out of a personal email, so I won't.

however, a few months ago I was inquiring about some mods to an analog box we both have and he mentioned that he had phased out a large percentage of his hardware in favor of a mostly ITB rig -- and we all know greg from this forum as a passionate and artistic visionary who has a taste for "analog" and the impression it attributes to source material.

I took his comment as a loose foreshadowing of products we might expect from him in the future, like this! a future where he sees digital's potential in running neck and neck with its analog counterparts.

please note: he stressed the importance of a solid front end, and fat backend for mix, but he seemed to be embracing the future of the digital world.

I agree with chad. if you've spoken or know greg, you can tell he's driven by a passion for sonics and not making a buck. yeah he's running a business, but he's innovating at the same time. I love the fact that all these strong analog proponents are seeing what digital technology is bringing to the table and using it, rather than fighting it, to its potential in developing plugins that rock.

I bet the clariphonic DSP is going to sound dope. and I'm sure greg will be chiming in at some point to answer your questions.

can't wait to demo this. having owned the analog version at one point I know this has a lot to live up to, and I'm betting it does.

oto
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

The first and foremost effect I hear in all these video demos of the Clariphonic etc. is that the audio gets louder (in the Clariphonic case they're basically two different bands, called "focus" and "clarity").
Well, of course it sounds better to most people!
It's really hard to judge whether what it does is not achievable in many other ways...

Don't wanna be negative here, big fan of the UBK Fatso, just not getting the hype here!

Also, the term "virtual analog tube" in that video above made me giggle a bit.
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaccona View Post
The first and foremost effect I hear in all these video demos of the Clariphonic etc. is that the audio gets louder (in the Clariphonic case they're basically two different bands, called "focus" and "clarity").
Well, of course it sounds better to most people!
It's really hard to judge whether what it does is not achievable in many other ways...

Don't wanna be negative here, big fan of the UBK Fatso, just not getting the hype here!

Also, the term "virtual analog tube" in that video above made me giggle a bit.
have you tried the actual hardware unit vs. watching videos? it's not about volume, this thing adds to your source... sounds expensive to my ears. that's a good thing. IMHO you need to try it in person to get a hang of it and really understand what it's doing.
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Lives for gear

The presence band boost on the clari hardware is very , very special

From a brief but careful comparison to some other hardware EQs a while back.
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Gear addict

Try turning up the hardware Clariphonic slowly while listening to a mix, or better yet, have a friend do it.
I think you will experience it differently than the "louder is better" phenomenon that you are referencing.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search