New Reply
Subscribe
outofphase
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
outofphase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo View Post
users of DP8, hows everything working so far? I'm waiting to hear your experience to make my jump from Nuendo to digital perf (one more time). the features on motu's web site look appealing but I want to make sure this version is stable.
do you recommend me to pull the trigger?

PO.
Smoke bomb is vanishing now and apparently everyone are getting problems with DP8's stability:

Kontakt not working, Crashes, sluggish performance, loosing focus when opening other plug ins or apps, loosing keyboard commands, lame compatibility, VEPro not working at all, standard functions not working, erratic scrolling, vanishing audio files, Memory problems, etc, etc.

I'll wait till next update.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
DP literally stands - totally alone (afaik) - as the only $500 list price native daw with no product demo.
FYI. Need to correct your price info as you and many others seem to already have a DAW, you all qualify for the DP Competitive Upgrade:

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from competing product
$395.00
Digital Performer 8 upgrade from AudioDesk
$395.00
Digital Performer 8 upgrade from previous version of DP
$195.00
Digital Performer 8 upgrade from Performer
$295.00

https://www.motu.com/store_products/upgrades/dp/
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 8.05, LogicPro 9.1.8, Wavelab 8, MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, Sonnox, Sonalksis, McDSP, UAD2 Quad, SSD/VCC/VTM/FG-X, Melda, Mäag, P&M. Lexicon PCM Bundle, AbbeyRoad, LiquidMix, NomadFactory, SoundToys, DSM, EWQL S-Orchestra & Piano Gold, EZDrm, AAS, MOTU ElectricKeys etc. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, SSL Buss comp, TK BC-1 MK2 Buss comp, GAP PRE73, Lexicon PCM91, TC, FMR RNC. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7 >40 mics.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse View Post
I don't understand.
Join the club. I deliberately chose an example that's purely technical (IMHO), with not much room for getting too emotional.

I even emailed Steele back then, politely asking for an explanation, he never bothered to respond..
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
That said, I've seen James delete posts by total dickheads who deserved it.
But I've never seen him delete things without good reason, nor have I seen him treat any newcomers with "suspicion".
I remember a guy's avatar with a picture of himself holding the DP manual (upside down) as a 'proof' that he's not a pirate - to deal with direct and indirect accusations....

There are 6 'announcements' in the DP Usage section, two of those are about piracy.

Quote from one of them:
" If I feel that there is a high likelihood that you are using a pirated copy of Digital Performer, I will delete you from this board and block your IP address."
Asking for a pdf manual is an indication that a user is a pirate (not an indication that she owns an iPad, which is a lot lighter than the DP manual..).

Just to be clear, I find the behavior offensive to legitimate owners of DP.

AFAIK, the only actual MOTU employee posting there is Dave, and I've never seen him participate in these kinds of discussions...

Is a 'good reason' to delete a post that it's too technical?

There are some guys with great DP knowledge over there, but I found that the general computer/Mac OS knowledge is mostly at beginner's level.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
Quote:
I don't understand.
Join the club. I deliberately chose an example that's purely technical (IMHO), with not much room for getting too emotional.

I even emailed Steele back then, politely asking for an explanation, he never bothered to respond..
I mean I don't understand your complaint. Because there is tons of configuration type info on Motunation right now. I've never observed Steele deleting computer-related stuff. Ever.

So either there's something you're not saying about what happened, or you were the unfortunate - and very unlucky - victim of something that is vanishingly rare. What you're describing is definitely not something that "goes on" on motunation with any frequency.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo View Post
users of DP8, hows everything working so far? I'm waiting to hear your experience to make my jump from Nuendo to digital perf (one more time). the features on motu's web site look appealing but I want to make sure this version is stable.
do you recommend me to pull the trigger?

PO.
I've had several crashes so far. Nothing too frightening.

I am finding DP is a mixed bag, but much of that is because I'm new to it. I'm very fast in Logic, and it is taking me forever to do things in DP due to lack of experience with it, even though I've been using DAWS and sequencers since they first came out. I'm old.

DP definitely has it's own way of doing things. Who would think that to bounce a song, you not only had to select a time RANGE....but you ALSO had to select all of the regions IN that range? My first bounce was silent. So now we have a two step process to do what is done in one everywhere else.

DP is kind of like one of those coffee table sized books you buy for 75.00.
Like "The Beatles Anthology" or "Recording The Beatles" or "Memories of Martha's Vineyard...The Making of Jaws." Those books have everything a fan would ever hope for in them, and when they first arrive at your house you are thrilled to death. Then, you realize, that there is no comfortable way to READ this book. You either put it on the floor and hover over it or you don't. You sure don't read it in bed unless you want to feel like you are supporting an elephant on your lap.

It's a deeply powerful program but rather overwhelming.

I'll check back in a few weeks but right now on deadlines I need to be in Logic or PT....

TH
Chiconcuac
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Chiconcuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Smoke bomb is vanishing now and apparently everyone are getting problems with DP8's stability:

Kontakt not working, Crashes, sluggish performance, loosing focus when opening other plug ins or apps, loosing keyboard commands, lame compatibility, VEPro not working at all, standard functions not working, erratic scrolling, vanishing audio files, Memory problems, etc, etc.

Scary!
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

OK first of all, this is kinda turning into thread hijacking. You're taking a personal axe and grinding it against a website that is a superb resource for DP knowledge (as you yourself have said). Want to start a new thread called "motunation sux," more power to you. But this is getting a little far afield.

Quote:
I remember a guy's avatar with a picture of himself holding the DP manual (upside down) as a 'proof' that he's not a pirate - to deal with direct and indirect accusations....
That's almost the exact opposite of what actually happened. There was a period a few years back where there were regular appearances of confirmed (i.e., James PM'd them simple questions about the manual and they couldn't answer them) pirates on the site, due to the release of a kracked version. In response to that, someone (not James) half-jokingly suggested that everybody take pictures of themselves reading their manuals and use them as avatars. A number of users did, and some of them were pretty funny, involving pets, photoshopping, etc. The guy reading his manual upside down was one of those, and he left his up longer than most others. He himself had never been accused of anything.

Quote:
There are 6 'announcements' in the DP Usage section, two of those are about piracy.
Again, there's a REASON for that. DP doesn't use challenge response, and the watermarked disc is a few versions old; for a long time its only copy protection was a key number printed on a sticker in the manual. DP had been kracked. You're punishing the victim.

Quote:
There are some guys with great DP knowledge over there, but I found that the general computer/Mac OS knowledge is mostly at beginner's level.
Something that's definitely not true in any other forum, where everyone is an expert.

Look, I don't mean to say there's nothing to your experience or that you didn't have a negative experience on that forum. I just think going on about it here, seemingly in an effort to herd people away from a great resource that they can easily form their own opinion of simply by visiting it, isn't a good use of this thread. Could we get back to topic?
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
DP definitely has it's own way of doing things. Who would think that to bounce a song, you not only had to select a time RANGE....but you ALSO had to select all of the regions IN that range? My first bounce was silent. So now we have a two step process to do what is done in one everywhere else.
This shouldn't be the case. Did you drag in the Conductor track or something? If you drag over a timerange in the marquis in the Tracks window (the cursor will turn into a little i-beam), all tracks should automatically be selected. One step.

Note that if you wanted to perform a bounce that excluded one or more tracks, or parts of tracks for some reason, you can do it merely via selection. More flexibility. Once you get used to it, you just might love that coffee table book.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to Mario-C.
DP8 is still sluggish ? that's all I wanna know ...
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

two step process????

In tracks overview window, hit cmd-a, selects entire sequence across all tracks. then bounce to disk.

you can even save btd setting and map them to a keystroke

or do what I do, route all audio to a mixdown bus from the start. have a stereo track with that bus as input. arm it, hit record and print mix in realtime. This is fun because you can tweak settings as the mix plays back live. just like the old days.

select the result, opt-r reveals that sound file in finder.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
DP8 is still sluggish ? that's all I wanna know ...
probably depends on the system you are using...
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
two step process????

In tracks overview window, hit cmd-a, selects entire sequence across all tracks. then bounce to disk.

you can even save btd setting and map them to a keystroke

or do what I do, route all audio to a mixdown bus from the start. have a stereo track with that bus as input. arm it, hit record and print mix in realtime. This is fun because you can tweak settings as the mix plays back live. just like the old days.

select the result, opt-r reveals that sound file in finder.
Ah OK. I knew Command A would select all but not necessarily the bounce range. If you only wanted to bounce part of something, you'd have to make a section range, THEN highlight tracks you wanted. But that's not real common I know.

What I'd really like to find out is...apparently...unless I'm reading it wrong, you can do multiple bounces.

So, if I want a "vocals up mix" I can save that as one chunk, duplicate it, do another pass with vocals down, then make an instrumental mix. Apparently there is a way to tell DP to do all 3 bounces automatically one after another?

If you know can spell it out, it would be amazing!

Thanks
TH
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
probably depends on the system you are using...
A quad core mac pro (latest gen), not the most powerful but no slouch either, the problems I've experienced is sluggishness when zooming, lots of annoying beach balls
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
You're punishing the victim.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
If you only wanted to bounce part of something, you'd have to make a section range, THEN highlight tracks you wanted. But that's not real common I know.
Assuming you want to use all the tracks in your timerange, that's a one-step process as well.

If you drag over a timerange in the marquis in the Tracks window (the cursor becomes an I-beam when you hover over it), all tracks should automatically be selected in that range in one step. Then bounce.

It's only if you want to bounce a subset of tracks that you need to specify which ones are included in the bounce by highlighting them.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
<nonsense>
I take it back. You're right: Motunation exists to bully people about nonexistent piracy for no reason. Speak truth to power, brother.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
A quad core mac pro (latest gen), not the most powerful but no slouch either, the problems I've experienced is sluggishness when zooming, lots of annoying beach balls
mmmm yea i've had the zooming issues before, specifically in the sequence window.

the app has been rewritten for cocoa so maybe that has been addressed.

i don't get weird beachballing, ever. on the same machine as you. check your auto save settings?
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Yep, the sequence window is where it happens most of the time, I've also found that my bluetooth mouse slows down DP so I stopped using it, my autosave settings are to save every minute so maybe I should give it more time ?
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

Hey guys can anyone tell me how to quickly switch back and forth between the arrow (cursor) tool, and the selection tool (for highlighting)? Must be some key command, I can't believe one would have to keep clicking the toolbar to change....can't believe this isn't a smart tool thing...?

TH
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

over an audio region press i
press control while using the smart cursor and it works like the i beam too
depending on the context the smart cursor works just like the ibeam tool
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

You are just collecting thread titles from Motunation. How about actually READING the posts you quote?

VEPro5 is working quite well in DP8. Check the first page of the first section, there's a thread about it posted by TooDamnHip.

The "sluggish performance" and "crashes" are not happening for everyone.
Some users are experiencing this, but not everyone. The "losing focus" problem? I'm not experiencing it myself, in DP8 on either my 2009 MacBook or my 2010 Mac Pro (both running Snow Leopard 10.6.8). Not saying it isn't happening, just that it isn't happening to everyone.

"Standard functions not working" - what do you mean by that? What "standard functions"? There is no post on Motunation with such a title.
If you mean standard transport controls, or opening and closing windows,
or record/playback - those all work fine.

The "vanishing audio files" problem happened to one user - no one else
could duplicate it. Turned out he solved it by repairing his permissions and trashing DP's preferences. The "memory problems" turned out to be
misinterpretation of a new usage meter in the Audio Performance window.

Some users have reported problems with Kontakt 4, and opening Kontakt 4
instruments in Kontakt 5. That is true. But again, not a universally reported problem.

Look, I'm not denying that DP8, version .0, is without some issues. Every single DAW has had problems with initial new releases, without exception.
And MOTU has always been very good about addressing issues, I have no doubt they will release an update to DP8 soon.

My point is, don't go saying "apparently everyone are getting problems with DP8's stability". That is not true - I'm using it, and I'm not experiencing
much trouble with it at all.
outofphase
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
outofphase

Quote:
You are just collecting thread titles from Motunation. How about actually READING the posts you quote?

VEPro5 is working quite well in DP8. Check the first page of the first section, there's a thread about it posted by TooDamnHip.

The "sluggish performance" and "crashes" are not happening for everyone.
Some users are experiencing this, but not everyone. The "losing focus" problem? I'm not experiencing it myself, in DP8 on either my 2009 MacBook or my 2010 Mac Pro (both running Snow Leopard 10.6.8). Not saying it isn't happening, just that it isn't happening to everyone.

"Standard functions not working" - what do you mean by that? What "standard functions"? There is no post on Motunation with such a title.
If you mean standard transport controls, or opening and closing windows,
or record/playback - those all work fine.

The "vanishing audio files" problem happened to one user - no one else
could duplicate it. Turned out he solved it by repairing his permissions and trashing DP's preferences. The "memory problems" turned out to be
misinterpretation of a new usage meter in the Audio Performance window.

Some users have reported problems with Kontakt 4, and opening Kontakt 4
instruments in Kontakt 5. That is true. But again, not a universally reported problem.

Look, I'm not denying that DP8, version .0, is without some issues. Every single DAW has had problems with initial new releases, without exception.
And MOTU has always been very good about addressing issues, I have no doubt they will release an update to DP8 soon.

My point is, don't go saying "apparently everyone are getting problems with DP8's stability". That is not true - I'm using it, and I'm not experiencing
much trouble with it at all.
ok, ok, nice speech, just tell me something.. How many VI's are you running in your very stable DP8?

I read you are using just ONE. Do you think ANY daw will cause you a problem using just ONE VI?

Please stop this funny "DP Army" attitude you guys have over Motunation and talk about the real problems this software have, so the motu guys can fix them quickly.

Thank you.

OOp.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
ok, ok, nice speech, just tell me something.. How many VI's are you running in your very stable DP8?

I read you are using just ONE. Do you think ANY daw will cause you a problem using just ONE VI?

Please stop this funny "DP Army" attitude you guys have over Motunation and talk about the real problems this software have, so the motu guys can fix them quickly.

Thank you.

OOp.
Did you not read my post? My point was in reply to the post that "everyone are having problems with DP8"..which is NOT true. And furthermore, the
poster really was just quoting thread topics without reading them. I even
said later in my post that DP 8 was not without issues. Did you miss that?

I was not "defending" DP8. I was calling out bullshit posted on THIS forum.
outofphase
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
outofphase

Quote:
Did you not read my post? My point was in reply to the post that "everyone are having problems with DP8"..which is NOT true. And furthermore, the
poster really was just quoting thread topics without reading them. I even
said later in my post that DP 8 was not without issues. Did you miss that?

I was not "defending" DP8. I was calling out bullshit posted on THIS forum.
blah, blah, blah.

Just read this recent 9 threads over motunation.com to see the reality. This is not bullshit, even one of their moderators are having problems with this release.

MOTUNATION &bull; View topic - Donate now to keep the DAW leader in power!

MOTUNATION &bull; View topic - Stuck notes issue reappears in DP8

MOTUNATION &bull; View topic - Back to DP7 for Now

MOTUNATION &bull; View topic - DP 8 feels sluggish compared to 7.24

MOTUNATION &bull; View topic - Is DP8 unusable?

MOTUNATION &bull; View topic - DP8 and Kontakt

MOTUNATION &bull; View topic - Weird Memory Performance while running DP8 in 32 bits

MOTUNATION &bull; View topic - DP8 Vanishing Audio

MOTUNATION &bull; View topic - MOTU - "BETA Testing" DP8
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Wow, dude, you must be on some kind of crazy anti-DP crusade.

I never said DP8 didn't have problems. NEVER SAID IT. C'mon, get at least
that part of it straight.

Every new version of DAW software comes with problems. The first version of Logic 9 had problems. The first version of Cubase 6 had them. The first version of DP 2,3,4,5,6, and 7 had problems. The first version of Sonar had problems. So did the first versions of Pro Tools 7,8,9, and 10.

Actually, I kind of like the comment about the "DP army". Are DP users an
enthusiastic group? Yes. Maybe you should buy it and use it and find out why. That said, what I have never understood, for as long as I've been on GS, is this weird attitude of "my software is better than yours", or the sometimes vicious attacks to discredit some particular DAW or plug-in or VI.
What purpose does that serve, except to gloat and self-glorify?

Anyway, you've posted the links to the Motunation threads, and if others
read through all of them, they'll see for themselves that what I said is true -
not everyone who has DP8 is experiencing the same problems, and some of
the "problems" turned out to be either user error or specific to a particular user's system, and had nothing to do with DP8.
kdm
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
kdm
Gear addict

Quote:
So did the first versions of Pro Tools 7,8,9, and 10.
Actually PT 10.0.0 is working fine here. I still haven't seen a need to update to recent releases. Just saying.

On another note, anyone have any idea when MOTU is anticipating releasing the Win version?
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just read this recent 9 threads
So nine threads means "everyone" is having problems with it?

Every DAW has issues, if you look at the message board for any of these apps you're going to see plenty of issues reported.

And those aren't even all problem threads. One has no problems listed at all, another is from someone who doesn't even have the app yet saying they've read about problems. Another wasn't reproduced by anyone else, then he finally solved it with prefs and permissions.

A .0 release having some issues shouldn't surprise anyone. And looking how many complaints are on a message board is about the worst way to judge a release.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Hey guys can anyone tell me how to quickly switch back and forth between the arrow (cursor) tool, and the selection tool (for highlighting)? Must be some key command, I can't believe one would have to keep clicking the toolbar to change....can't believe this isn't a smart tool thing...?

TH
Also, Shift-L

brings up the Commands window, where almost every functionality can be assigned a keyboard shortcut.

It has a search feature as well for finding key bindings to oft-used features.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

One man's hands on experience is that DP 8 is very stable so far, even using a third party 32-64 bit bridge (jb).

As an added bonus, I'm impressed with the new bundled plugins.

that's me.

Seacrest out.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search