MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping
New Reply
Subscribe
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
Actually PT 10.0.0 is working fine here. I still haven't seen a need to update to recent releases. Just saying.
what exactly are you saying? That PT 10.0.0 works just fine for 1 user? Ok, got it! Thanks!
kdm
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
kdm
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
what exactly are you saying? That PT 10.0.0 works just fine for 1 user? Ok, got it! Thanks!
I was responding to another poster, not you. I am saying PT 10.0.0 works fine here, the same way you are saying DP 8.0.0 works fine for you. Same response, different DAW. So what is your point?

The handful of people reporting DP8 works fine have had it for maybe a day or two and most haven't even begun to really push the limits of this release. Not much of a reliability report for guys like me who push the system limits daily and can't afford any downtime/lost files/crashes, even if it only happens once in a 2-3 months period.

And this is why I won't participate anymore at MOTUNation, or here, regarding DP. The DP user-base is far too defensive and suspicious of everyone else. With almost no objective, comparable real-world data to give the rest of us an idea of how it will really perform (the good and bad), and no demo, there isn't much to go on other than just buying it and hoping for the best (which I already did - waiting for the Win version - but at this point, not really expecting much. No big loss if it doesn't perform as well as other options though).
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I was responding to another poster, not you. I am saying PT 10.0.0 works fine here, the same way you are saying DP 8.0.0 works fine for you. Same response, different DAW. So what is your point?

The handful of people reporting DP8 works fine have had it for maybe a day or two and most haven't even begun to really push the limits of this release. Not much of a reliability report for guys like me who push the system limits daily and can't afford any downtime/lost files/crashes, even if it only happens once in a 2-3 months period.

And this is why I won't participate anymore at MOTUNation, or here, regarding DP. The DP user-base is far too defensive and suspicious of everyone else. With almost no objective, comparable real-world data to give the rest of us an idea of how it will really perform (the good and bad), and no demo, there isn't much to go on other than just buying it and hoping for the best (which I already did - waiting for the Win version - but at this point, not really expecting much. No big loss if it doesn't perform as well as other options though).
Well then, just don't buy it. Glad you found a 100% reliable DAW. I will
guarantee you this, though - there are plenty of power users of DP who have been "pushing the limits" on DP8. Read through all the posts again,
you'll see.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I never said 8.0.0 works for me,

i'm still on 7.24

won't be upgrading for a while, don't need any of the new features atm, so why bother?

my point is - you have no point - anyone using a daw that "doesn't work for them" is crazy
kdm
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
kdm
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
I never said 8.0.0 works for me,

i'm still on 7.24

won't be upgrading for a while, don't need any of the new features atm, so why bother?

my point is - you have no point - anyone using a daw that "doesn't work for them" is crazy
Good grief. You didn't read the post I was responding to and missed all of the irony here. Both you and Dave Polich made wrong assumptions without reading or asking.

Honestly you aren't making a good case for DP here.

So again- anyone have any idea on the PC version schedule?
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Good grief. You didn't read the post I was responding to and missed all of the irony here. Both you and Dave Polich made wrong assumptions without reading or asking.

Honestly you aren't making a good case for DP here.

So again- anyone have any idea on the PC version schedule?
"Soon"...that's all MOTU is saying right now. Anyone with inside knowledge would be under a NDA agreement and couldn't post that information publicly.

And I'm not trying to make a "good case" for DP. Just aiming to correct
any false information.
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogal View Post
FYI. Need to correct your price info as you and many others seem to already have a DAW, you all qualify for the DP Competitive Upgrade:

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from competing product
$395.00
Digital Performer 8 upgrade from AudioDesk
$395.00
Digital Performer 8 upgrade from previous version of DP
$195.00
Digital Performer 8 upgrade from Performer
$295.00

https://www.motu.com/store_products/upgrades/dp/

Jeez. Are you guys really that sensitive? If you read my text that you quoted it read... $500 - "list" - price. A list price is not a competitive upgrade price, it's a list price, and the semantics of that difference is irrelevant to the context being talked about.

Try to relax a little.
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

Anyway, as to users on the MOTU forum with issues, I'm a big believer in the idea that users reporting issues doesn't necessarily imply those issues are widespread or even common. It just means those people have issues and they post about them.

You can never really extrapolate much useful info from stuff like that on forums unless there are definitive and repeatable bugs reported. It's mostly (reactions to some of it) often other people just looking to confirm / affirm what they already believe, either that it runs really great or it's buggy.

As to pirates, it's silly really. Any official company forum who cares about that would / should have areas that only legit users can get into anyway. Removes the doubt, if a person can't get into or post in that part of the forum. An unofficial or tacitly semi-official forum won't have the user registration database though so if the app is actually cracked, of course there will pirates there asking for help.

At any rate, I've been asking for some gifs but it seems people would much rather argue about MOTUNation and point to YouTube marketing vids than clue in potential users with a few short specific gif animations.
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
An unofficial or tacitly semi-official forum won't have the user registration database though so if the app is actually cracked, of course there will pirates there asking for help.
Exactly right. Motunation is "unofficial or tacitly semi-official" - James runs it himself, not MOTU, and he doesn't have any user reg info to consult.

Quote:
At any rate, I've been asking for some gifs but it seems people would much rather argue about MOTUNation and point to YouTube marketing vids than clue in potential users with a few short specific gif animations.
I'm sorry about this; may I suggest that you ask on Motunation? There seem to be only a small handful of DPers checking this thread with any regularity; I'm just too busy at the moment. Put this request in front of a bigger slice of DP users and you'll get results - 'crowdsource' it.
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

I asked there about a week ago, twice, with no response other than to go to the same YouTube vids I've already seen and search the forum.

Gifs are easy and fast to make, and small to attach, and they take less time to make than arguing on a forum about another forum so... I thought I'd have seen a few by now.

No biggie. When it hits on PC I'll go to GC or something and see if I can play with it... if they have a PC version in the Pro Audio room.
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

As others have mentioned,DP8 is a great new release!
Of course like every .0 release some users have a few issues,which will undoubtably be addressed.
Anyone who expects a perfect .0 release with no issues or conflicts are not being realistic.
I've been using DP8 since Sept.27th & honestly it's far exceeded my expectations.
Normally I wait for a .01 release but with all of the potential advantages of DP8,I jumped right in.
I've been in 64bit operation since day 1 in the 64bit Kernel and it's actually been a great improvement for me over DP7.24,so far.
Do I expect it to be improved on? Yes! absolutely!
When users talk positively about previous versions they raved about,DP5 it was 5.13 ,DP7 it was 7.24
It was never 5.0 or 7.0.

Ironically I'm actually waiting for other companies to start catching up with 64bit updates like UA,SoundToys,AAS,IK and a few other laggers,lol.
No new version is perfect out of the gate but overall this is a great upgrade.
There's always some snarky posts on forums by posters who want to get into platform or DAW choice wars,which is funny,we all have choices,no one is forced to use DP8.
We all can't agree on forum policies that might be in place at Motunation but it's actually a very constructive and informative site for people who want to actually learn & use DP.
So if all of the DP/Motunation haters feel better about posting their negative posts that have little basis factually,go for it.
The entertainment factor combined with the level of vitriolic bile,it's quite obvious that the agenda has replaced any opinions of actual substance quite a while ago.
It's amazing some posters actually find a new tool threatening to their choice of which DAW to use.
No company can ever please everyone but MOTU has made some great strides with DP8 & DP's presence in the DAW world has created a buzz.
Why this makes a few posters here so uncomfortable is both puzzling and enlightening.
We all have choices.

;-)
2.8 Quad Intel(2008)MacPro24 gig ram,OSX10.83, DP8.04, RME FF 800,Great River ME-1NV preamp,a few microphones,NI Komplete ,UAD....assorted plugs,VI's... Vdrums (TD20 expanded) Superior2, Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata PowerSnakes and Conditioners,too many hard drives... ESATA
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Gear maniac

Just received my copy of DP8 today. Exciting stuff! Been a DP user since v4.

Installed it, ran into some repeated crashes when it couldn't find my NI VI's for some reason. Got passed that. Had to launch in 32bit mode because I use a ton of WAVES and UAD. Opened a sound design project I'm working on and discovered there are some serious video playback issues. It was unusable for working to picture. The video and scrolling playback are totally chuggy, and the video sometimes went to all black screen. A bit of a mess.

I'll be patiently waiting for some updates *sigh* . Meanwhile, back to v7.24
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
Actually, I kind of like the comment about the "DP army". Are DP users an
enthusiastic group? Yes. Maybe you should buy it and use it and find out why. That said, what I have never understood, for as long as I've been on GS, is this weird attitude of "my software is better than yours".
Funny you should say that, actually.

Because that's exactly how I feel at/about Motunation and their beloved DP. I won't mention nicks but there are some notorious individuals there who are certainly worse than others. Any criticism or favoring of another DAW is taken as an "insult" or a cause for "defending DP".

Or when someone dared to wonder why isn't there a demo or a "lite" version of DP8 available.

It's actually hilarious, that Motunationers feel an obligation to "defend" the software in the first place!

-

As a side note, the "mine is better than yours" attitude isn't limited to just DAWs...there are fanboys everywhere. BMW vs Audi; Xbox vs Playstation; iPhone vs Galaxy; Microsoft vs Apple; Korg vs Yamaha vs Roland; etc etc.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1na View Post
It's actually hilarious, that Motunationers feel an obligation to "defend" the software in the first place!
I think there's an underdog mentality that comes from being a Digital Performer user. Outside of pro user circles, it's kind of the unknown DAW.

When I tell a casual/hobbiest digital audio enthusiast that I use Digital Performer, I usually get a blank stare and a, "huh, I don't know that one." When I tell pro DAW users, I often get a surprised, "Wow. Really?"

So, some of us DP users might be suffering from a bit of a Napoleon complex. Hence the perceived (or real) defensiveness
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1na View Post
It's not just Motu, it's every Daw that exisits!! Most users of Daws defend their choice like it their lives depended on it!
It's human nature...
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Someone posed a question there about activation that hasn't gotten answered so if any of you DP users know, please inform.

You can install and activate it on two different computers and (according to a quote from the docs) if you install it on a third computer it automatically deactivates the oldest activation so you still only have two systems activated... to limit working DP installs to two system max.

The question was "... how does it do that?". It kind of implies that DP requires a net connection to launch or something.

Anyone have a clue?
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
It's not just Motu, it's every Daw that exisits!! Most users of Daws defend their choice like it their lives depended on it!
It's human nature...
It is. All these applications have flaws (because all the humans coding them have flaws, like even some things NASA builds have flaws and they are literally "rocket scientists" ) ... and if one is inclined to point out some legit and truthful subjective flaws in any of them, it's not very hard to do at all.

Too many people do too often take it really personally don't they?

Less to do with DAWs than as you say, human nature. Humans need to validate their personal decisions and the Internet is the single biggest instant source of large groups of people who actually won't agree with your personal decisions or subjective impressions, in just about any case you can imagine.

They should rename it "The Argunet".

My personal favorite defensive reaction? New user says...

User: "Hey. I used X Daw before and I'm having real trouble with this one because I was used to doing this one thing really easily and it's really hard now. Is there any plan to improve this part? It's really a pain, the workaround."

Defender: "Well go use X DAW then!!! What are you doing here if X DAW is better? Maybe you're just not smart enough to 'get' such a complex product as this?"

11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Head

Just wanted to chime in.
Performer, and now DP user since 1989. I think it's a great program that works well for me. It's always been as flexible in any situation as I've ever needed. I now do all my beat and loop oriented building in Ableton because it excels at that and is a totally different thing. I use DP because it's basically rock solid for me and I have 1000's of client and personal projects recorded in it. So no reason to switch. People should use what they like and what works for them. The main other concern is compatibility with clients and collaborators. This hasn't been a concern for me either, so no need to switch. New features in DP8 look cool, but as always, slow and steady wins the race.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Soy, can you shed some light on the activation thing (^^ 3 posts up ^^) for potential new users?

Does DP have to be online to be launched? (not a silly question in the context of that question about activation)

Thanks Soy.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Head

All I've ever had to do was type in the serial number and have the disc in the first time I open the program. It's always worked, very simple.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear maniac

That's right. It's the disk you need. Doesn't have to be online.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Ok, thanks. Maybe it changed with DP8, just trying to understand what it does now.

Here's the original quote from MOTUNation ...

Quote:
From the DP8 ReadMe file:

"Can I activate DP on more than one computer at a time?

"When you first install Digital Performer and click the "I agree" installer option, you agree to abide by the Digital Performer End User License Agreement, which allows you to use DP on one computer at a time. As a courtesy, Digital Performer can be activated on two computers at a time (Mac or PC), so that you don't have to re-activate every time you switch between them (a desktop machine and laptop, for example).

"How do I move a DP activation to another computer?

"Simply activate the other computer. If you are already using both of your two courtesy activation's, one of them (the older one) will be deactivated upon activation on the new computer."
It's the second part above that I'm not quite understanding, how that happens, how they enforce the 2 system limit. Maybe, like with some plugs, they make you go online and manually deactivate one system during that process... but it reads above like it's automatic.

Thanks.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
They should rename it "The Argunet".
I love this!!! The Argunet. Brilliant!
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
It's the second part above that I'm not quite understanding, how that happens, how they enforce the 2 system limit. Maybe, like with some plugs, they make you go online and manually deactivate one system during that process... but it reads above like it's automatic.

Thanks.
My bad; I haven't received DP8 yet. That certainly does make it sound as though you need to be online the first time the program is run on a computer you wish to activate. I can't imagine how else that would work. If true, that's new as of DP8.
kdm
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
kdm
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse View Post
My bad; I haven't received DP8 yet. That certainly does make it sound as though you need to be online the first time the program is run on a computer you wish to activate. I can't imagine how else that would work. If true, that's new as of DP8.
That would be good to clarify. I would assume there is an offline activation. My studio rig is not online, so either there's offline (or the old CD authorization process), or I'll be selling DP.
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Gear interested

Regarding scripting- DP has had a really large customizable commands pallette which should facilitate scripting (minimizing mouse clicks etc.). In ProTools, at least, the keyboard assignments are not fully reassignable.
My favorite script can actually be done in DP itself. Automate advancement of "takes" by adding a midi track with a midi trigger to advance take each playback in a loop. If there are dozens of takes it's nice to sit back, listen and take notes without having to manually select the next take on each playback.

Each DAW does most of what the others do, with a few exceptions which may be of great or little importance depending upon the user. Each one has certain things that are easier for one working style over another. So working with what one is already familiar with has certain advantages. It takes time to find how another DAW does things, so within a limited time a new program will probably seem inferior because it takes a while (frequently more than 30 days) to learn all the ways in which an unfamiliar program does things. It may have a better/easier way to work, but if you don't know what it is the program will seem inferior. The 1000 page DP manual is quite a bit to wade through, and it doesn't have everything.

Some is taste. Being able to label each take in the "take" column and user determinable pre and post roll during each pass in loop recording are great in DP that aren't available in PT. But the x-form pitch/timeshifting algorhythm in PT is 70% of the time the best sounding. So probably no single DAW is best for everybody, but some people will find one better than others. Some people use one DAW for one task and other's for other tasks/projects.
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Gear nut

Does anybody know if the Windows version will be a download when it's released or will it have to be shipped on a DVD separately when it's released?
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auricle74 View Post
Does anybody know if the Windows version will be a download when it's released or will it have to be shipped on a DVD separately when it's released?
It will be a disc.
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
It will be a disc.
Okay. Thanks.
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unheard80s.com View Post
Regarding scripting- DP has had a really large customizable commands pallette which should facilitate scripting (minimizing mouse clicks etc.). In ProTools, at least, the keyboard assignments are not fully reassignable.
My favorite script can actually be done in DP itself. Automate advancement of "takes" by adding a midi track with a midi trigger to advance take each playback in a loop. If there are dozens of takes it's nice to sit back, listen and take notes without having to manually select the next take on each playback.
Thanks a lot. Those are exactly the kind of things some people want to know, that aren't in any YouTube vids, and they can't just grab the manual and read it to see how that all works.

Can you (if you have time) go into more detail about all that or maybe even show a picture of the macro or scripting dialog or system or whatever it is? That kind of stuff (with DP, how it all actually works) is kind of a big mystery to some of us peeking over the fence.

And to be clear, I probably won't end up buying DP. But it's the only major workstation I've never really tried so there will be some curiosity (from people like me on Win) just because we don't know. It might be something perfect for many of us, a better subjective fit than whatever we use now, but we don't know.

Thanks.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search